How to seal outside of caravan

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Afternoon all

After buying my Elddis Odyssey 482 couple days ago and looking it over in some detail, i've noticed a soft panel in the storage cupboard of the bathroom and the opposite side behind the toilet etc. This could of been from an old leak but would like to reseal the rails and roof bar to put my mind as ease. Seen some users mention putty tape, marine silicone and others, please come someone advise.

thanks in advance

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The most important thing to do is find the cause of the leaks and then fix them.
Resealing is time consuming, you must remove any parts you want to seal, clean all the old mastic off then replace with new mastic and refit the parts.

The best sealant to use is either Soudall Fixall or Sikaflex 512.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
thankyou for your reply, I will be using a hose pipe on the outside over each seperate item to check first as i wouldn't want to take off and reseal anything that doesn't need doing. cheers Damian

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thing about leaks in a caravan, is that the water maybe travailing some distance from were the damp is showing.
Playing the hose were the damp is showing may not show any results.
When I had a similar patch I removed the whole awning rail and sealed the lot. I found the the leak when the rail was off, some screws were rusty were the water had entered and they were a distance away from the damp patch.
I took the whole rail off, cleaned every thing, drilled new holes by the side of the old ones, then filled the old ones with 512 before setting the rail on a good thick bed of 512 sealant, using stainless steel screws. Cured the leak.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
20170807_210117_zpscxuhdqbg.jpg

As for the leak behind the toilet, I put a hose pipe around both the outside access panels to the toilet and several minutes later i had a pool of water running from under the toilet and across the floor ( caravan not level lol )
I will take out the toilet ( when i find out how ) and see how much damage the leak has done and silicone access panels with 512 when i get some but i suspect it could be the rubber seal on the bottom access panel as it was more than just a trickle of water getting in.

Any links or advice is much appreciated and i'll keep you updated as i go.
Thanks

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Cant seem to find the 512 locally so its either order it online and wait or i can get the Soudall Fixall high tack from my nearest screwfix ??

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Are the seals on the front window easy to reseal, they are not perished but letting some water run underneath the seal and into the front storage box. The more I check the more I find.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I also found damp around the toilet in the caravan I bought in 2011. The rain had been getting in around the flush tank filler on the Thetford. After removing the toilet and cutting out a section of wallboard I found some of the timber frame had rotted. It was an easy job to replace.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
I suspect i'll have to do the same as it does seem to have run across the timber and behind the cupboard slightly. what did you use to replace the wall covering ? any utube video's for removing caravan toilet ? thanks

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The most important thing to do is find the cause of the leaks and then fix them.
Resealing is time consuming, you must remove any parts you want to seal, clean all the old mastic off then replace with new mastic and refit the parts.

would it be soudall fixall high tack or soudall fixall flexi as there are few different one

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
welshti said:
I suspect i'll have to do the same as it does seem to have run across the timber

You need only replace timber that is rotten. A lot of it might be ok after drying out. I only needed a small piece of wallboard so I painted myself. For a blow by blow description of the job I did take a look at my website in the modifications section - https://jondogoescaravanning.com/modifications-additions-to-my-rialto/ ............ It's the first job described.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
welshti said:
Damian-Moderator said:

would it be soudall fixall high tack or soudall fixall flexi as there are few different one

Think you need this one,

Or This one click the links :)

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Thankyou for that, i will take a look at the link later, i've attached the pictures of the progress so far. Would like to take off the cupboard so i can see how far back the timber may be affected but there must be some hidden screws somewhere as i've taken out all the ones i can see.

20170810_171927_zpsw1a9hsh8.jpg
20170810_172847_zpsrajsuqbx.jpg
20170810_204406_zpspdcqbtlv.jpg

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the pictures your water entry point would seem to be a very badly, if at all, sealed water inlet to the flush tank.
You certainly have quite a lot of work to do, but it is possible.
The cupboard is probably stapled to the wall/floor/roof as well as the screws you have found.
The Soudall sealant you really need is the Ultra Tack.
Hi Tack is not a suitable product.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Would this ultra tack be ok to seal the access panels outside as well as the new pieces of timber, just want to make sure i do it with the right stuff and hopefully just the once :) The water leak does seem bad and over a long period i'm guessing.
There were some places around the acces panel which wasn't bonded. Also If i understand you correctly, the top access panel is where water goes into the flush tank ? this only had 1 black seal on it ?

many thanks for all the comments so far.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Jaydug said:
I also found damp around the toilet in the caravan I bought in 2011. The rain had been getting in around the flush tank filler on the Thetford. After removing the toilet and cutting out a section of wallboard I found some of the timber frame had rotted. It was an easy job to replace.

Looks exactly what happened to mine although i have not replaced the rotten timber yet. What silicone did you use for the access panels and new timber, was it the 512 or another as some mention Soudall fax all ultra tack also. What type of timber did you use to replace it ? treated batteren ?

thanks

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
welshti said:
. What type of timber did you use to replace it ? treated batteren ?

No - I used untreated timber because I didn't know whether the preservative might react with the adhesive. To fix the timber to the aluminium skin I used grab adhesive from Screwfix and to seal the toilet door frame and the filler, I used Nemesis grey sealant also from Screwfix.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
welshti said:
You mean this Damien ? is this good for all my caravan needs, resealing access doors, rails, interior etc ??
s-l1600%202_zpsdda5fabd.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes that is the product I mentioned and is good for all the items which need good adhesion and sealing and are not intending to be removed at a later date.although if removal is needed it can be done but the sealant is very hard to remove.

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Cheers for confirming, i assume it can also be used around shower trays and can the excess be easily smoothed to a nice finish as the cure time is fairly quick. Or should i use the flexi tube for indoors. thanks Damien

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes it can be used around shower trays and is very easy to tool to a good finish, use Fugit or similar silicone smoothing tools.
Excess can be removed whilst still wet with white spirit, once it has set, that's when it needs a mechanical removal method , like a sharp knife,,very carefully!!!!!

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Cheers all, I'm letting the damaged area behind the toilet completly dry out and i've put a de-humidifier in it for a few days before replacing the timber and putting it back together. Any suggestions on what wall board or covering to use as i'm unlikely to get a match on what was on there before ? Would a upvc sheet behind the toilet be suitable.

( should i start a new topic ) ? I have to replace the rubber window seal on the front of the caravan, seen a few utube video's so is it as easy as it looks and any tips ? Fitting new window seal. small amount of water getting getting in.

Thanks for all your advice, hopefully i'll know what to look for if i buy another 2nd hand caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts