How to stop items sticking to toilet bowl ?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Going away soon and one thing that is always a problem is items sticking in toilet bowl.

For example toilet paper always seems to stick to the side and however long i flush for it doesn't go into the tank.

i think someone said to use vegetable oil once so things would slide easier down toilet ?

I want to be careful that I use something that wont harm the toilet though as it is still under warranty.

Many Thanks

Ian

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Ian

I was given advice which seems to work well.

Before doing what men need to sit down for, line the loo with toilet paper, do the job, flush, then open the valve and away it all goes without any tell-tale signs.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
In addition to Ken's comments, I was told if you leave the "hole" shut, flush once this coats the bowl then if you line the bowl with paper and do your business. When you then open hatch ploop, down it shoots, well most of the time. minimal flushing then required.

If you don't flush before putting down the paper, it sticks more so requires more flushing. The wet paper stays intact (with the "hole" closed) and stops the "hole" cover from getting "soiled"

And you thought only toddlers needed toilet training :)

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI All,

thanks for the replies, personally I have never used the toilet in the van but my wife and children do and they always moan about toilet paper getting stuck and i always end up pushing it through the hole after them, the joys of caravanning !!!

All tips mentioned have been great and will try them out on weekend !

Any more tips ??

Many Thanks

ian

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Any more tips ?

Well . . . . do not throw paper hankies with added balsam balm down the toilet. They do not dissolve easily so require 'extra extraction technique' at the chemical waste disposal.

As you say - the joys of caravanning.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I've thought long and hard before posting this because I know I'm in for a slating but....

We operate a "No Solids" rule in our toilet!! This begs the question where do we go? We go wilst we're out and about, I have known my husband drive 5 miles to Asda to oblute early in the morning or into the nearest village with an acceptable public convenience.

The kids don't come with us anymore but when they did they'd go to my Mum and Dad's van and say "Nan, do you allow solids in your toilet??"

There, I've told you now!!!!

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Until your post,Val, I thought we were out of step after reading the above posts.

We never have used the van loo for other than No.1's if you know what I mean.

It's much more pleasant (if that's the right word) to just empty liquids and odds and ends of loo roll.

Dave

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
oblute, don't you mean defecate ?

Some people would rather not clean up their own "mess" so choose what Valerie has. Which is fair enough.

If you are staying on CL site and don't leave the site, that proves difficult, unless you like crouching in hedge rows :)

I am happy cleaning it out, as is my OH. I find cleaning drains worse (not toilet waste either).

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
The trouble is the cassette needs a lot more shaking etc. to ensure it is empty if it has No. 2s in it. We were with someone on a site once who exerted so much energy shaking and tipping his toilet to ensure it was clean, his glasses fell out of his top pocket, down the hole and were never seen again...

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Why worry about what might be left in the bowl after all its already been inside you for several hours ! If there is something don't waste all that nice flushing water with those expensive additives you've paid for, just get a cup of water from the tap (warm if you wish) and rinse evrything out of the bowl. Use the flushing water after to just finish off. A little flush before you start can also help to "lubricate" the bowl.

The worst thing EVER that can happen is when emptying the loo is that whilst you are away doing the emptying, someone goes and uses the loo and emties it into the cassette compartment ! Its happended to me twice in 25 years and that was enough.

Also a full to the brim loo first thing in the morning when you really need to go is an absolute nightmare :(

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Kindred spirits we are Dave!!! Can't have all that palava in a brand new Coachman can we?? LOL

Val
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Coachman warranty was nul and void if one did no.2's in their uncompromisingly top quality products.

Dave

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Those who are getting lumps left in their cassette that "needs a shaking to remove" are using the wrong toilet chemicals then or not enough of them.

I use Kemdirect powdered toilet additive and normal household toilet tissue and have never had a problem when emptying it. Everything is always a runny slushy brown liquid which pours out easily and no horrible chemical smells. Kemdirect breaks everything down no problems.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
F.A.O. Paul,

Re. someone using the loo while the cassette is being emptied.

I leave a LARGE notice printed in red " DO NOT USE - cassette being emptied " on the seat cover. Very high tech. Now I'm waiting for some thoughtful soul to move the notice first - if only to save it falling on the floor. Bound to happen someday.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
How long does this decomposition process - for want of a better word - take? I'm being serious when I ask this - the toilets I've seen emptied are not as you describe, is the stuff you use better than the Elsan blue at breaking the waste down?

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Valerie, the "decomposition" with Kemdirect is pretty quick. We could do a number two and within two hours, it's a slushy liquid. Honestly, it's really good. I have no connection with Kemdirect so I have nothing to gain by recommending it. I do know the people who sell it as they are members of my own forum and I'm currently running a competition on my forum for which these members are sponsoring some Kemdirect products as prizes.

It took me a while to take the plunge to try it over the blue liquid chemicals and now I would never go back to the blue. It's so much more cleaner, less smelly and more effective.

Sorry if anyone was having their tea or supper when you read these posts but I can't think of any other way to describe the results!! LOL

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

i have never had any problem with emptying the cassette as long its about 2/3rds full and using elsan ive never had any bad smells as for items sticking...........well anyone with kids will know about that lol

hgv dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts