how to use a cassette toilet

Jun 29, 2005
Visit site
I ahve just bought my first caravan with no instructions and I don't have a clue how to use the cassette toilet, can anyone help this stupid damsel in distress!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Thats probably not far from the truth.... don't forget to put the blue or green liquid in the bottom tank and some pink liquid in the water in the top tank....Have a good one...Brian.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
The beast will of course actually need empting eventually. Dependent on how stong you think you are, you may wish to do this sooner rather than later as the cassette can be very heavy by the time you've lugged it to the empty point! Also, if the seals are at all defective....

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
louise, i assume yours is a thetford. there are basically two types, bench and swivel. If it looks like an ordinary loo it's a swivel. Starting with this one. Outside the van find the two doors, one above the other. Open the bottom one, that's the cassette. thsi is held in by a handle on the base. Push this up and drag the cassette out. Unsrew the yellow cap and put blue fluid in as on the bottle. Put in about 2 litres of fresh water. Close cap and put acssette back in. Lock door. Open top door. Using a funnel put pink fluid in there as on bottle. Then top up with fresh water. (takes about 10 litres I think.)

On a bech type you have one door. the pink fluid goes in the top nozzle that will swing out. The cassette is the same.

Flushing: swivel- open valve, LHS of loo, and pump hadle on cistern Close flap. bench open valve, righ hand big knob, twist, then twist left hand knob to flush.

With both we have found it bets tu use it flap closed with a small amount of pink water in at the start.

When you are happy with this come back and ask about cleaning and lubricating the seals.

Good caravanning. Don't forget to empty the cassette before towing.Suggest you do this evryday on site as it gets too heavy otherwise. Don't forget to empty everything before winter, and only use Thetford plastic cleaner to claen it with.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
The swivel type toilet does not necessarily have a second door outside or a top chamber. The Thetford C200 version with electric flush draws plain flush water from an onboard tank, that supplies all services.

On emptying, avoid being too vigorous with shaking to dislodge any er.. blockages. Its possible to unseat the small magnet inside that activates the 'full' warning lamp, as its only clipped in place. This could provide you with an interesting aftnoons repair on a hot day......

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Starting with this one. Outside the van find the two doors, one above the other. Open the bottom one, that's the cassette. thsi is held in by a handle on the base. Push this up and drag the cassette out. Unsrew the yellow cap and put blue fluid in as on the bottle. Put in about 2 litres of fresh water.

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Hiya. Newbie here. Just got an 04 autoroller. Bought some toilet stuff for the thetford cassette. I assume there is no header flush tank and flush water is provided by on board fresh water tank? If that's the case, the pink can't be used, and therefore only the cassette itself will need the blue? I could probably use fenwicks top and tail in that case. Any advice or info greatly appreciated.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Spud53 said:
Hiya. Newbie here. Just got an 04 autoroller. Bought some toilet stuff for the thetford cassette. I assume there is no header flush tank and flush water is provided by on board fresh water tank? If that's the case, the pink can't be used, and therefore only the cassette itself will need the blue? I could probably use fenwicks top and tail in that case. Any advice or info greatly appreciated.

You might receive better information on the Practical Motorhome Forum but the short answer is that the blue toilet chemical (or top and tail) is poured into the cassette using the cap as a measure

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recently had a look inside an amazing 5th wheeler and they had a Gerberit Aquaflex unit, but not the one with integrated shower head as that would have added another £2k to the units price. But you save on loo paper and blue/pink fluids.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts