How was your 2017?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Are they still together and do they still have the caravan ?!? :p
It makes this year feel great for me I had a wonderful time getting out and about , had a few weekends away with our friends and family with their kids and our kids in our caravans , also trading in the old one for a new one so like starting from scratch ! Been great , can't wait for next year to see what it brings , hopefully more weekends away ! And hopefully happier ones and healthier one's for Martin and the kids and if I was him I would hide the gaffer tape !! :lol:
Happy touring to all .
Craig .

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It's been good for us so far, but it's not over yet!
In spite of herself's health problems, we've still managed nineteen weeks away, either in luxury in the Royale caravan, or moderate comfort in the Camelot camper. Nine weeks last Spring and three weeks in Autumn around Europe, the rest in Britain, so fairly quiet for us, but at 81 and 75 respectively, I suppose its not bad!
We're already booked for 10 weeks next year, so bring it on!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Poor old Martin, I'm not sure where he went but we had a great year, and very good weather over the August Bank Holiday week for a change.
We did have a couple of holidays when it rained heavily, but as the saying goes, there's no bad weather, only bad clothing if you do have to venture outdoors, so we remain undeterred and optimistic about next years weather prospects.
When it pours with rain on our caravan holidays we're usually dry, snug and warm in the caravan where I finally get the rare chance to stretch out on the lounge bench on 'my' side of the caravan to do....absolutely nothing. :lol:
Roll on 2018, I rarely book very far in advance because we're both retired and available to take advantage at the first sign of clear skies and sunshine.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
First half the year was BAD, wife broken bones son in law passed away. Second half out of 5 5½ weeks away Gales and a lot of rain.
Looking forward to 2018 hoping to start late February.

Trevor

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
A mixed bag for us in 2017.

We used the caravan to provide days out for the father in law whilst he was ill. When he passed in April we were able to base ourselves on a CL near his home town to make the arrangements, with a very helpful CL owner fitting us in last minute.

We managed a break to celebrate MrsPs birthday on the Isle of Purbeck. Bristol Balloon festival at Baltic Wharf. Tom Kerridge 'Pub in the Park' using a CAMC site at Henley. Country file Live on a CL nearby. Our first racecourse site, Uttoxeter for October half term.

Our main summer holiday turned out to be a cruise to the Fjords where it was glorious sunshine except for a 1 hour downpour in Hamburg, and one sea day en route to Southampton the day before disembarking.

We hope to do more next year, having Easter booked at Baltic Wharf so we can mark FiL anniversary and a couple of other long weekends booked already.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's been a fairly good 2017,caravan wise- Easter up Northumberland ,summer hols on Isle of Wight ,Nov half term new Forrest ,all good weather bar the odd days(as expected).
Family wise- all still here and healthy.
Let's all hope 2018 is just as good,happy Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since returning to caravanning after a three year break we’ve had a busy year. Dartmoor, Dorset, Wales, Warwickshire, Scotland, Cumbria, Northumberland and Somerset. A heady mix of Club sites, CL/CS and commercial sites and all have been good. Weather could have been better as gauged by low number of BBQs certainly not as you see on the covers of the caravan magazines. Only disappointment was my lack of camping time as with our commitments it’s not easy to go off camping with time available and a decent weather forecast. No fun in a tent when it’s wet. And we still managed a three week self tour of central India cities and national parks which saw us invited to a society wedding in Gwalior, and VIP guests at the Indian National. Dance Festival in Khajuraho with good wildlife sightings too. 2018 see Ardennes and Vosges booked along with Cornwall and Forest of Dean and Freshwater for starters and Majorca for some guaranteed sun.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
Since returning to caravanning after a three year break we’ve had a busy year. Dartmoor, Dorset, Wales, Warwickshire, Scotland, Cumbria, Northumberland and Somerset. A heady mix of Club sites, CL/CS and commercial sites and all have been good. Weather could have been better as gauged by low number of BBQs certainly not as you see on the covers of the caravan magazines. Only disappointment was my lack of camping time as with our commitments it’s not easy to go off camping with time available and a decent weather forecast. No fun in a tent when it’s wet. And we still managed a three week self tour of central India cities and national parks which saw us invited to a society wedding in Gwalior, and VIP guests at the Indian National. Dance Festival in Khajuraho with good wildlife sightings too. 2018 see Ardennes and Vosges booked along with Cornwall and Forest of Dean and Freshwater for starters and Majorca for some guaranteed sun.

You really ought to try and get out more Clive :p

Seriously, I wish I had packed a fraction of all that in, well done.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Generally a good year as far as touring went but rather spoiled by some minor damage to the caravan, my fault, a leak, Lunar's fault, a minor accident to the car, the other drivers fault, and a collapsing jockey wheel. The caravan also did time as extra accommodation when family visited beyond the accommodation we have available.
I did get compensation from the other drivers insurance despite them lying to me as to what I could claim, which was perhaps very foolish given I had been dealing with claims for well over fourty years. I can only say I now know why many people have to go to solicitors when the claim could otherwise be settled cheaply.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Fair to middling to be honest. This was the first full year with our new ‘van and tried to make the most of it. High points, finding a cracking little CL site not too far from home, a fair fortnight in the Lakes and plenty in between. The low for me was taking a wrong turn in Cornwall and ending up having to do a reverse up hill and round a very tight corner with queue’s of traffic and bystanders congregating either side of us, the hill going back up was 1st gear all the way with a bit of added wheel spin. Couple that with electric gremlins forcing the engine in to limp mode when under load, I gained more than a few extra grey hairs that day; I got shot of that car a few weeks later….

Roll on 2018, SWMBO’s college course finishes at Easter so we’ll have our weekends back to explore more, depending on my job move

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite a year. Started with a collision with unknown object December 28th ( ok not really this year but our year starts Dec. 27 with ferry to France en route to Spain. At French/Spanish border OH towing as she does it all now. Quite serious damage to underside of caravan, but pressed on the Spain and enjoyed 3 month stay. On return to UK van was written of by insurers but with new for old policy we collected new van within days of the 50th anniversary of buying my first one (Sprite Alpine OTR price £316)
Since then a good visit to France for 6 weeks to jura area on the 60th anniversary of my first visit there. Very happy with new caravan.
Now all packed and ready for - guess what - ferry to Roscoff on 27th December back to Andelucia.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A good year generally with some lovely caravanning. At our age health is the main thing and we’ve been OK. By 2nd January we should have done 121 nights out in van and 20 in hotels and apartments. The snow last week took 5 nights out of the total as we couldn’t get out of storage. Highlights were Yorkshire and Durham on a commercial site and CL respectively and a holiday rally in Dorset in September. After 7 months wait we got the new van in June. Lovely in all respects except all the spaces are bigger. The space between front sofas is bigger because the pullout table is smaller, the single beds are lower so storage underneath is very restricted. The shower cubicle is enormous and so the beds are slightly shorter. The boss now can’t reach the overbed shelf because the bed is too low!! Apparently this extra space is because of people with mobility problems. Any way still delighted with it. Next year’s biggies are north Essex and Hampshire with we hope another Dorset rally in the autumn- anyone know of any on offer?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Not been a bad year all-in-all but ended with a bang. Included two trips to North Wales, two to Norfolk, one to the Lakes, found a beautiful C.L very narrow approach road but worth it, one to Cornwall and one to Dorset..
The bang bit was just that, hit by a car running a red light, motor written off. Had a bit of a headache after but otherwise OK. Had a bit silver lining though, insurance was settled quickly, went shopping for a motor and bought an Insignia Sport Tourer Elite Auto MY13 ( an estate really) Love it. Highish kerb weight, high torque and just under 33mpg when towing.

PS The photo of the motor to the left is my old one, not altered it yet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
Not been a bad year all-in-all but ended with a bang. Included two trips to North Wales, two to Norfolk, one to the Lakes, found a beautiful C.L very narrow approach road but worth it, one to Cornwall and one to Dorset..
The bang bit was just that, hit by a car running a red light, motor written off. Had a bit of a headache after but otherwise OK. Had a bit silver lining though, insurance was settled quickly, went shopping for a motor and bought an Insignia Sport Tourer Elite Auto MY13 ( an estate really) Love it. Highish kerb weight, high torque and just under 33mpg when towing.

PS The photo of the motor to the left is my old one, not altered it yet.

Glad that you came out of it uppers both health wise and car wise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It been a mixed 13 Months for us - Unwelcome news at the beginning of 2016, but despite the medics opinions my wife is still with us and doing better than expected. First grand Child Dec 2016 to eldest daughter, Youngest daughter following her dream and being accepted into Uni to do a Phd, Long visit from wifes sister from Canada, Eldest son got married. Sons wife picked up the courage to quit her job and look at a new direction in her career, Youngest daughter moved in to first house. Conformation by the medics that I am wearing out Looking forward to Christmas and having family all around.

We are so lucky that all our family get on so well with each other, especially when I see so many dysfunctional families around us, So I count my blessings, and urge you to do the same.

Happy Christmass

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Pretty grim caravan wise - only used it a couple of times this year - on both occasions to a charming little site in Greenhalgh Lancashire - holidayed in Cyprus for seventeen nights in September - would like to take the caravan to Europe next year though persuading her indoors maybe problematic - touch wood our health has been generally favourable - seasons greetings

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It been a mixed 13 Months for us - Unwelcome news at the beginning of 2016, but despite the medics opinions my wife is still with us and doing better than expected. First grand Child Dec 2016 to eldest daughter, Youngest daughter following her dream and being accepted into Uni to do a Phd, Long visit from wifes sister from Canada, Eldest son got married. Sons wife picked up the courage to quit her job and look at a new direction in her career, Youngest daughter moved in to first house. Conformation by the medics that I am wearing out Looking forward to Christmas and having family all around.

We are so lucky that all our family get on so well with each other, especially when I see so many dysfunctional families around us, So I count my blessings, and urge you to do the same.

Happy Christmass

John,
A mixed year, best wishes for 2018 though. Ours too has been a mixed year with the family with 44 year old thrice married daughter (!) now starting university but like you we all keep in touch one way or another and eight of us will be getting together here at Xmas. Only downer is that my 96 year old pops who still drives finds long journeys as passenger very uncomfortable, so he cant join us. But we will FaceTime him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts