How we are percieved

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some may be interested in this:-

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/motoring/8182004.htm
A taster -

Ian Parker, Managing Director of Privilege Insurance, said:

"It is clear from our research that caravans and other towed objects are proving to be a real problem on Britain's roads. Towed objects can be dangerous in their own right, as well as distracting for other drivers, if driven without due care. Therefore it is vital that all road users pay attention to the vehicles around them and give those motorists who are towing extra room on the roads, avoiding the temptation to overtake when it is not safe to do so.

Also worth noting - the interesting suggestion on caravan taxation suggested by a contributor to one of my sons favourite forums when the same research from Privilege Insurance was discussed:-

"wab172uk said: The government should introduce a caravan TAX. Caravans are not climate friendly are they? Towing a Caravan makes your engine work harder, creates more drag, thus making your car pollute our delicate planet.

A fair tax should be introduced, say at about £2000pa. That#ll get them off our roads."

It got a lot of suport.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Yes and when you are away from home for a couple of weeks holidaying in your van, are you not using a little less power than you would in your home ??. It all adds up.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree totaly Frank - but the point is that there is a view out there that "caravans are a r*uddy nuiesence" (not my view of course because I have one!) and some would like to see them banned or restricted in some way.

This was tried on the M5 a year or so ago when on one stretch caravans had to stay in one lane. The result of this "test" was that it made no diference and so the tempory ban was lifted thank goodness.

But now I am noting that the insurers are noticing that they "cover" towing and are begining to look at this "market" - The Privalege Insurance Research is the latest and sadly is not complimentary about towing a caravan.

You have to ask yourself why they did the research? And what could be on the insurance companies agenda?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive is right of course. This sounds just the sort of thing that would be put out to justify a fee to cover a vehicle fitted to tow i.e. has a tow bar fitted. A nice little earner at say

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it is called "increasing profit" Ray.

And if anyone wanted any more evidence of how we to can be on the recieving end of an "Anti's" wrath - look at the adjacent thread on the banning of caravans travelling to the Isle on Colonsay.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it is called "increasing profit" Ray.

And if anyone wanted any more evidence of how we to can be on the recieving end of an "Anti's" wrath - look at the adjacent thread on the banning of caravans travelling to the Isle on Colonsay.
General - Isle bans caravans

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
nobody ever mentions aviation fuel pollution surely to keep them things up in the air it creates alot of pollution

also i can honestly say when towing we drive soooooo carefully more so than usual because your aware youve become several feet longer the gaps you might normally *** into just arnt big enough why cant people just leave us be

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And despite the damage aviation fuel causes - it suffers no 80% Fuel duty that we poor motorists have to endure.

How "green" is that?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Going slightly off the forum subject (TUT TUT) but the Aviation industry is one of the largest and most profitable parts of UK Plc. The industry has made massive advances in the last ten years in reducing emmissions and noise.

The Aviation industry has brought employment to ex Coal mining areas in the N East (ie food production)Rolls Royce makes would class products in the UK as does GE, Honeywell, Airbus, Bridgestone etc. Surely it should be freedom of choice and HM Tresuary makes a lotof money out of Airlines in quite a few taxes just look at what makes up the composition of your airline ticket price and your see what I mean.

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi MH - I do not doubt what you say is true re the taxation of the airlines.

But I am not aware of any specific taxation that is applied to the airlines that is not applied to other transport facilitators such as the Ferry operators. I may be wrong but even if there is - can it really be as bad as the 80% fuel tax and then the double taxation of 17.5% VAT on the whole blooming lot?

Don't get me wrong - in some ways I am happy with this - I fly to see clients in Gers via Ryan Air for less than

May 12, 2006
Visit site
What caravanners need to do is recruit a lobbying company to offer up our side of the argument. If pollution is the issue and not the excuse to raise a little revenue, why does Goverment not act to reduce it????.

Turning Left on a Red Light would be one, how many times have you stood engine running waiting for the Green when no other vehicle is within 200m. ( the thick Americans can work this why not us ?? ) Right in their case not Left.

Traffic Light timing is another, easy to sort it just needs time and money to fit filters. Speed calming measures stop start brake, stop start brake, etc etc, fit an average speed camera and remove the bumps.(on this one concentrating on the next bump)and you can easily miss the child. Major pedestrian crossing points, tunnel under the road to avoid fitting a Pelican. These are easy methods just NO Will to make changes.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dead right on the speed humps or sleeping policemen. Not only do they increase polution by forcing cars to slow than speed up the also knock out your suspension as well.

You should hear what the Ambulence and Fire guys think of them as well as it increases their responce time.

No sadly the powers that be would rather put an old lady in jail for not paying her council tax rather than tackle any of lifes real problems. The poluting ones you quote above are classic.

Not till we become more like the French (what a thought!) and get out on the streets in protest will things change.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
What caravanners need to do is recruit a lobbying company to offer up our side of the argument. If pollution is the issue and not the excuse to raise a little revenue, why does Goverment not act to reduce it????.

Turning Left on a Red Light would be one, how many times have you stood engine running waiting for the Green when no other vehicle is within 200m. ( the thick Americans can work this why not us ?? ) Right in their case not Left.

Traffic Light timing is another, easy to sort it just needs time and money to fit filters. Speed calming measures stop start brake, stop start brake, etc etc, fit an average speed camera and remove the bumps.(on this one concentrating on the next bump)and you can easily miss the child. Major pedestrian crossing points, tunnel under the road to avoid fitting a Pelican. These are easy methods just NO Will to make changes.

Val & Frank
the americans worked it out because they are not as thick as us

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
S'funny how other road users hate caravanners. You don't see much bad press about horseboxes, both trailer and single units which in my experience never seem to do more than 40mph, or people towing boats, camping trailers, car transporters etc, all of which are legally limited to 50/60mph and often do far less. Perhaps they're simply jealous, or is it just a perception that we're all like Carry on Camping comedies? Or is it that you can't see past the average caravan when you're too close, as most drivers are, and therefore don't see the slow driver in front of the vanner holding everybody up. As for the arguement about us using more fuel, well yes that's true of course, but Joe Wingnut in his souped up GTI death trap doesn't know how to drive economically and probably uses just as much fuel due to his leaden right foot!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi MH - I do not doubt what you say is true re the taxation of the airlines.

But I am not aware of any specific taxation that is applied to the airlines that is not applied to other transport facilitators such as the Ferry operators. I may be wrong but even if there is - can it really be as bad as the 80% fuel tax and then the double taxation of 17.5% VAT on the whole blooming lot?

Don't get me wrong - in some ways I am happy with this - I fly to see clients in Gers via Ryan Air for less than

May 12, 2006
Visit site
From what our friends tell us we are perceived to be a nice couple, married for 30 odd years with a grown up family. How we are perceived by others who don't have a caravan, we quite honestly don't ( expletive ) care.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From previous postings there are two points which I would like to make - Q. What are roundabouts for? A. To speed up the free flow of traffic at junctions. Therefore who the hell had the stupid idea of introducing traffic lights at roundabouts - what a total waste of time, fuel and tax payers money. Secondly just a little niggle - milk floats are electric powered by batteries and therefore cause very little pollution when in use.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
According to the Privilege research, other drivers are suffering from the wayward antics of drivers towing objects behind them. Over one in eight (13 per cent) of all motorists have been distracted from their driving by another driver towing an object. Of these, a quarter (23 per cent) drifted out of a lane, with similar numbers having broken the speed limit or almost been involved in an accident.

So, maybe they should invest in teaching these people how to drive correctly! Maybe a retest to learn some basic things like lane control, observation etc

So, remember all, if you see an accident while towing, it must be your fault!

As there research shows 25% of all drivers tow, It looks like Ian Parker has just managed to alienate 25% of his business, and people want us to take note of what a man like this says??????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should try Salisbury Colin. The numpties that designed the road layouts firstly drive a four lane flyover (two lanes in each direction) over and through one of the countries most beautiful cities - an act that is now recognised as one of the most hideous acts of corporate and public sector vandalism ever! - then they compound their crimes by placing traffic lights on the roundabouts but NOT on every entry road - just some of them.

So you have the bl**dy dangerous fun of negotiating a round about where four of the seven entrance and exit roads are controlled and three are not.

The "wild card" threesome roads cause absolute chaos as cars, buses and lorries entering the roundabout can do so at any time and usually end up blocking the trafic "released" from the previous Traffic Light.

What most of us do now is use the back roads to avoid the chaos. Not what is best I know - but what else can you do?

But apparently it works well on a computor model and so we have to learn to be more like "Sim City" it seems.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
And

To help drivers set to take to the roads with towed objects, Privilege is urging them to follow the safe driving tips below:

1. Reduce your speed when towing an object - Emmm, Does this guy know the law??

2. Leave extra distance when braking - Seems physics are above his head as well,

3. Secure your trailer properly before driving and check it at every break in the journey - Make up your mind, if we don't secure it you should be happy as it will be still on the drive while we are on the M5

4. When travelling on a motorway, ensure your trailer doesn't drift out of lane - They can do this while your car stays in its lane???

5. Give your car and trailer a full motoring check up before you start out on your journey. - So don't forget all, full service and MOT before every rally!

I am soo impressed by this guy and his reasearce, I think I will buy his insurance!!! NOT

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to the Privilege research, other drivers are suffering from the wayward antics of drivers towing objects behind them. Over one in eight (13 per cent) of all motorists have been distracted from their driving by another driver towing an object. Of these, a quarter (23 per cent) drifted out of a lane, with similar numbers having broken the speed limit or almost been involved in an accident.

So, maybe they should invest in teaching these people how to drive correctly! Maybe a retest to learn some basic things like lane control, observation etc

So, remember all, if you see an accident while towing, it must be your fault!

As there research shows 25% of all drivers tow, It looks like Ian Parker has just managed to alienate 25% of his business, and people want us to take note of what a man like this says??????
I think we should Steve - because if he has his way - there will be a licence to tow (not a bad idea in my view) and a premium for towing as well as a far more strict interpretation by the insurance companies on what is a safe combination.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are but Steve - what you fail to realise is that if the insurance companies publish this data as "sensible precautions" and in the event of your having an accident you cannot prove that you did all of these things, - i.e. no service history for your caravan and maybe a "witness" that says that you were "wandering" in your lane and the outfit looked "unstable".

Where do you think that would leave you in the event of a claim?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts