humidefiers in caravan

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
Ispoke to a chap the other day at the local caravan centre and the subect of winter storage arose , he told me that when he parks his van up along side his house he runs a humidifier all through the winter. Can anyone tell me if this is a good thing?...thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I suppose you really mean a dehumidifier. I can't see much point in using one so long as the caravan is well sealed. After all, people don't use them in cars that are parked out in the open or weekend cottages etc. when they're not in use. A couple of hours thorough heating before use will dry the inside out sufficiently in damp winter weather. My caravan has been standing out in the open for 13 years now and is none the worse for wear.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carl

Do you mean a DE-humidifier. A humidifier introduces moisture into the air, which is the opposite to what you're probably trying to achieve.

I've heard of people using de-humidifiers, but this would be an endless exercise. With all the vents in the caravan the air is constantly being replaced. I think that it's something like once every hour the air is replaced. This is done because of venting for the gas, and it prevents damp air from being 'sealed in'. Therefore all that you are doing is drying out your garden and the world as a whole. As soon as the air is de-humidified, it's replaced in the caravan with fresh humidified air. The only effective way of doing it is to completely seal the caravan, then run the dehumidifier until all traces of moisture are removed.

It's the same with silica gel that some people use. It's OK in a sealed cupboard, but in the caravan living space is a complete waste of time. And in the case of silica gel, you'd need dozens of kgs of the stuff in order for it to be effective.

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
I suppose you really mean a dehumidifier. I can't see much point in using one so long as the caravan is well sealed. After all, people don't use them in cars that are parked out in the open or weekend cottages etc. when they're not in use. A couple of hours thorough heating before use will dry the inside out sufficiently in damp winter weather. My caravan has been standing out in the open for 13 years now and is none the worse for wear.
yes sorry i did mean de-humidifier i did think this was a waste of time but thanks for your comments....

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
Carl

Do you mean a DE-humidifier. A humidifier introduces moisture into the air, which is the opposite to what you're probably trying to achieve.

I've heard of people using de-humidifiers, but this would be an endless exercise. With all the vents in the caravan the air is constantly being replaced. I think that it's something like once every hour the air is replaced. This is done because of venting for the gas, and it prevents damp air from being 'sealed in'. Therefore all that you are doing is drying out your garden and the world as a whole. As soon as the air is de-humidified, it's replaced in the caravan with fresh humidified air. The only effective way of doing it is to completely seal the caravan, then run the dehumidifier until all traces of moisture are removed.

It's the same with silica gel that some people use. It's OK in a sealed cupboard, but in the caravan living space is a complete waste of time. And in the case of silica gel, you'd need dozens of kgs of the stuff in order for it to be effective.
yes i did mean a de-humidifier and thanks for you advise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts