Hymer Caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Planning to tow a Hymer Nova 530LE with an 02 reg Vauxhall Omega 2.2 diesel estate. Towsure matching gives 94% for max. tow weight but would like to know if anyone else can verify how well the combination tows.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mervyn,

At 94% you are already well over the 85% guide line. However simply matcing weights is only part of the answer, and the stability of an outfit can be adversly affected by poor loading and driving technique.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow a Swift Challenger at about 1400Kg with a Omega 2.2TDi Estate. Stability is excellent in virtually all conditions. Only downside of this combination is hill starts. The high first gear on the Omega means you have to use the revs and really go for rather than slip the clutch too much. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The towsure weights for the Omega are in nearly every case an underestimation. They can be anything upto 100KGs more. I think ull be fine with an Omega estate. Theyre one of the heaviest cars you can buy thats not a 4x4 and the van u plan to tow has a large payload, so you may not use all of it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mervyn

As a Hymer caravan owner I can tell you it is a very stable unit, so the weight ratio is not so critical, especially if you are a reasonably experienced vanner. However I myself still exercise common sense when loading. I had motor trouble on the continent and van was towed back , the guy that drove the transporter informed me that the van towed better than most!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts