Hymer Nova GL 470 review

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
LizziePope said:
For a two-berth that's distinctly different,

Not sure why you class it as distinctly different as it's basically the same layout as our Lunar, which was half the price and is 70% of the weight. ;)

Edit - caravans seem to have morphed into the same item for a given size, as have cars. :(

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to be on my ninth Hymer brand caravan ( 5 T.E.C./1 GEIST/3 HYMER NOVA ).
Inexpensive is expensive if it's not good.!!
My '17 Hymer Nova 580 GL comes out at the same price as a Buccaneer, I'll stick with the Hymers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I have heard about the Buccaneers I would have to agree the Nova is a better buy but I am hoping the takeover will improve things. If not I can only see the name staying and the building going abroad.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
As with the motor industry in this country we have become a low cost workforce for major international players, maybe with German expertise and guidance we may be producing Hymers over here. They have already produced UK spec 'vans in the past for a major dealer, my Geist was a UK / Ausi spec 'van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
outdoors said:
As with the motor industry in this country we have become a low cost workforce for major international players, maybe with German expertise and guidance we may be producing Hymers over here. They have already produced UK spec 'vans in the past for a major dealer, my Geist was a UK / Ausi spec 'van.

How can you say low cost workforce in the motor industry ? Have you seen what the average wages are for production operatives at companies like Honda and Nissan? The lines are heavily automated and the quality of the UK produced cars equals if not surpasses those made in Japan. Perhaps their success is due to good design, good management -staff relations, high levels of automation, a commited workforce and an excellent supply chain. If Hymer can replicate this for caravans in UK they deserve success.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Way too expensive for a two bearth non fixed bed , caravan, certainly not for the Uk market.

I think that the point here is you get what you pay for and the extra cost of the Nova is reflected in the build quality. It does also have a weight penalty as well but if you can live with the price and weight it is going to last longer and should be far less trouble.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
5nnb0k.jpg

Hi all,
We have just decided to have a wall built across the front of our property, thinking the 580 may be too big to comfortably maneuver, I did a recky and considered possibly a 470. Asking a n other dealer what the deal might be, Bear in mind we purchased the 580 new 7 / 7 / 17 at £32,000, the 470 ( which is probably older ) is up for £ 28,000.
Now I expect to take a hit but my 'van £20,000 and 8 Grand to change ! SWMBO will just have to carry on struggling pushing and pulling the 580 into position. LoL !

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Outdoors , ( not got a name !! ) That's what I thought when we got our new one pushing and pulling with like the old one but this one is a lot heavier and wider and she can't stretch across the back like last time , she ended up putting her back out first time we tried to get it on our drive which you led to us getting a mover put on the new one !! The maneuverability is unbelievable now though .

Craig

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
It was parked to the side of the garage but since the wall that's all we could get on the front.
I don't really like putting it that side as it's in front of our lounge window.
There is a ( overgrown ) 8ft hedge on the neighbours border where the 'van is.
If they'd like to drop the hedge I'll move the 'van !

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We found a motor mover was best bet when we used our drive. It is narrow and slopes down from road which itself is on a hill and there is a lamp post opposite just here the car might mount the kerb. This was a godsend to us but because next caravan was too wide to fit easily in the drive we now use storage site.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
" SWMBO will just have to carry on struggling pushing and pulling the 580 into position. LoL ! "
Sorry guys I presumed the LoL ! would allow others to know that was tongue in cheek.
We have a ALKO Mamut mover fitted and very good it is too.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Hymers are ‘heavy’ because everything comes fitted as standard, 50l water onboard tanks etc, including a huge payload.
How many UK made caravans can match the 300kg payload of even the smallest Hymer? ( and it’s upgradable to 450kg or more!}

Build quality? Built like a tank and my 2006 Nova still washes up like new. Only thing replaced since new? Sink tap after the switch failed. And I can still get any spares required from the factory.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
outdoors said:

How can you say low cost workforce in the motor industry ? Have you seen what the average wages are for production operatives at companies like Honda and Nissan? The lines are heavily automated and the quality of the UK produced cars equals if not surpasses those made in Japan. Perhaps their success is due to good design, good management -staff relations, high levels of automation, a commited workforce and an excellent supply chain. If Hymer can replicate this for caravans in UK they deserve success.

Unfortunately, having watched a few shows in Caravn TV of uk factories, that’s exactly what the UK caravan industry is, low pay, low skill, low design and a fixation with building the most floor area per kg of mass. If a British caravan weighs the same as my Hymer, but has twice the floor area on the same weight, abd is half the price, unless the UK makers have invented some new wonder material, it’s going to be much flimsier and lighter built.

My 2006 Hymer 390 cost me the same as a new Bailey 400.... it doesn’t leak, Baileys are notorious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hoomer said:
My 2006 Hymer 390 cost me the same as a new Bailey 400.... it doesn’t leak, Baileys are notorious.

Its unsound to make generalised statements about a manufactured product based on a sample of one. Whilst is is certainly true that all British caravan manufacturers do have a history of products that leak, It is also true that continental manufactures including Hymer do have some problems.

I can't quote the statistics, but I have witnessed one Hymer that was basically scrapped becasue 75% of the floor was rotten, with much of the exterior walls and the furniture and fittings in contact with the floor were also badly affected.

Hymer may be better than UK manufacturers but they're not perfect :eek:hmy:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hoomer said:

Its unsound to make generalised statements about a manufactured product based on a sample of one. Whilst is is certainly true that all British caravan manufacturers do have a history of products that leak, It is also true that continental manufactures including Hymer do have some problems.

I can't quote the statistics, but I have witnessed one Hymer that was basically scrapped becasue 75% of the floor was rotten, with much of the exterior walls and the furniture and fittings in contact with the floor were also badly affected.

Hymer may be better than UK manufacturers but they're not perfect :eek:hmy:

Whilst the Hymer is a nice caravan and generally accepted as being of good quality with good payload their all up weight mitigates against them for a lot of people. I also recall the notorious spate of side panel "folds" that appeared above the doors on some UK spec Hymers a few years back.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
" I can't quote the statistics, but I have witnessed one Hymer that was basically scrapped becasue 75% of the floor was rotten, with much of the exterior walls and the furniture and fittings in contact with the floor were also badly affected. "
Had it been in a flood Prof ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
outdoors said:
" I can't quote the statistics, but I have witnessed one Hymer that was basically scrapped becasue 75% of the floor was rotten, with much of the exterior walls and the furniture and fittings in contact with the floor were also badly affected. "

That was my immediate reaction when I saw it, but the repairer had just been on the phone to the owner, and had been told in no uncertain terms it was not flood damage. To be fair it was an old Hymer imported privately 30yeras ago. It had been standing at the top of a a field for at lest ten years. The guy who owned it has died and it was his son who dragged off a couple of weeks before I saw it. The repairer had been asked to see if it was a viable one to repair - it wasn't.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
outdoors said:

That was my immediate reaction when I saw it, but the repairer had just been on the phone to the owner, and had been told in no uncertain terms it was not flood damage. To be fair it was an old Hymer imported privately 30yeras ago. It had been standing at the top of a a field for at lest ten years. The guy who owned it has died and it was his son who dragged off a couple of weeks before I saw it. The repairer had been asked to see if it was a viable one to repair - it wasn't.

So it was already a second hand van and of traditional construction when imported 30 years ago..
Modern Hymers have one piece roofs, front and rear shells and are of completely different bonded construction to previous Hymers.
German makers also have the fierce German domestic consumer protection laws to face... no fobbing you off until the warranty runs out over there, it’s not fit for purpose? Fix it it or your Money back.
There was an issue with the early plastic gas locker doors cracking, since fixed, but if mine does crack, Hymer will replace it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts