Hymer-Nova SL 580 or Coachman VIP535/4

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

We are looking to buy a caravan and these are the two on our short list. Not knowing much about caravans, we would be grateful for any feedback on these two makes.

Many Thanks

Rosie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are looking at Coachman, look at the Pastiche and Amara ranges as the VIPs are considerably more expensive but basically the same models as Pastiche.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I had a coachman VIP 540 from new until a couple of years ago, it was the best built van I have ever had (and I have had a good few).

I do agree with Ray that the Pastiche gives you much better value for money as with the VIP you are paying for several things, on board tanks etc that you may not use.

When i had one the interior wood was darker in the Vip which I personally felt gave the van a quality feel, at the time the Pastiche was lighter which I do not like as much but it is as always down to personal taste. I dont think you would be disappointed with Coachman and of course you have a strong dealer network.

Andrew

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We too are on our fourth Coachman (1st a VIP 4 berth followed by 3 Lasers. Unfortunately this will be our last!

We think we must have had the worst one of a bad bunch. We picked it up new April 2005 (the year Coachman won the Caravan Club Award). Within 4 days we were totally disheartened with the faults we had found :-

Incorrectly installed electrics

Bent kitchen tap

extractor fan not working

air conditioning not working

faulty alarm

new bathroom wall panel was required

new bunk had to be fitted

new lower bed box had to be fitted

new fridge door was required

large rivets protruding underneath carpet which secures caravan floor to chassis

in total 9 new wheels were required as each set delivered were faulty

problems with paintwork to body

rear grab handles loose

worktop to kitchen area damaged

wind shields on hob had to be replaced as completely bent and not operable

Table was damaged and had to be replaced

bathroom cupboard door was loose and had to be replaced

gas leak

wooden pelmet trim at front fell off

front nearside skirt twisted

shower room floor split and required replacing

kitchen sink had to be resealed

window catch at rear had to be replaced

water heater faulty

Although most of the above faults have been attended to over a long period of time (involving travelling to and from dealers on 6 occasions and being returned to Coachman to deal with paintwork) the problem with the paintwork has never satisfactorily been resolved.

As the caravan is now nearly 3 years old we are looking to change and are seriously considering a Hymer in the hope that we experience the build quality it is reputed to have.

We do not normally like to support foreign manufacturers but, after speaking to many owners of foreign caravans when holidaying on the continent, it is very rare that they are dissatisfied with the product and service they have received.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We have just taken delivery of our Coachman 535/4 2008. See my other post - the microwave is only to be used on a countertop and is not able to be fixed into the "dedicated" cupboard. This means lugging it out and stowing away each time although all advertising material displays the microwave in the cupboard with the tambour door. Its something to think about - Coachman I have been told, are the only manufacturers insisting microwaves are removed in transit.

We are generally pleased with the rest of the van though, quality build etc. but this has left a very bad taste. I have written to them to see if they are willing to resolve and await their reply.

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Valerie,

Thank you for taking the time to post about the coachman and the microwave problem.

In the end we ordered a Hymer SL580 which we should take delivery of in about 6 weeks time. We are new to caravanning so keeping our fingers crossed we have made a good choice and don't get " a Friday afternoon van !! ".

Rosie

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Sure you'll be happy with your choice Rosie.

Rob's parents have a Hymer motorhome (their 2nd) and love it. They've previously had a couple of Eribas and a VW Campervan. Notice a trend here? Yep, all German!

We couldn't quite stretch to a Hymer (or afford the towcar to pull it!) so opted for a Geist which is also built in Germany then imported into the UK for upholstery etc to be added.

Not had it long but love it so far.

Regards, Claire & Rob

TRENDING THREADS