Unicorn van?

May 2, 2024
Visit site
Am I looking for a unicorn? We have a maximum budget of £4000 so we’re looking at the cheaper end of things, not sure how many people here are using those sorts of caravans? Probably in the region of about 2005 to 2008 from what I’ve been seeing for sale.

I’m trying to find a model which has:
• An end bedroom with a double bed, which can be partitioned off. Ideally not a fixed bed because they’re generally smaller than the ones which are a dinette area which can be converted, same as at the front of the van
• A separate proper shower cubicle (ideally not behind the end bedroom partition)
• An onboard water tank to help the shower work properly (they don’t seem to work well when used with a submersible pump from an external water holder)

Any advice for a caravan of this sort of era is very much appreciated!

Thanks ☺️

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't get hung up looking for a caravan with onboard water tank - that can always be added later if you find a caravan that meets your other requirements.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello , Squiglet, have a look for a Sterling Eccles Jewel, that has the end bed, a middle bathroom, they don't have onboard water tanks but the shower in ours was always very adequate.

Reactions: Squiglet
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Best not to limit yourself. An inboard tank will not improve your shower experience, (unless it is on the roof of the van :ROFLMAO:). This is down to the pump output. Perhaps you have experienced low speced pumps in the past.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Hello , Squiglet, have a look for a Sterling Eccles Jewel, that has the end bed, a middle bathroom, they don't have onboard water tanks but the shower in ours was always very adequate.

Agreed, our first new caravan was a 2002 Sterling Eccles Jewel, the build quality was good, the bathroom very usable and the bedroom worked well.

Reactions: Squiglet
May 2, 2024
Visit site
Thanks will have a look ☺️

May 2, 2024
Visit site
Something like this?

As others said onboard water tank is too limiting and will make little difference to your shower.

Or this?

Caravan finder lets you search by layout, if it helps?
Good luck
Mel
I didn’t know about caravan finder, that’s extremely useful!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Really? Mine has worked fine with an aquaroll for the last 30 years. It's not a boutique hotel with a shower that can rip your skin off, but we can easily get two showers from one aquaroll
Wet, soap, and rinse, and like you we could get two showers even from our 28 litre aquaroll, When we moved upmarket to a 40 litre it was sheer luxury 😂

Reactions: Bluetonic
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it exists. I cannot think of a Unicorn with a curtained off rear bedroom. that is not a fixed bed. To be honest I cannot think of anything other than some older other models that had a lounge at the back which would double up as a bed. These normally have a curtain alongside the bed which is probably not for you.
I am a bit confused by the shower requirement but most models should have a proper shower cubicle.
I agree the strength f the shower is dependant on the pump, so a fitted tank would not help.
Caravans contain a lot of compromises and that is possibly needed here.
At that age a damp test is essential, but also given the age of the caravan a check that all things fitted are working.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We shower from the aquaroll all the time with no problem. Our last van had an on board tank and we really dont miss it at all. On some sites where we know the tap is a trek we take two barrels so there's no urgency to fill up the empty one.

The main limitation is not the tank or pump but the water heater.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts