Hyundai Santa Fe as a tow rig

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys

I currently have a 2017 Mazda bt-50 as my tow rig for my 2008 lunar lexon twin axle van which it tows without any issues.

Thing is my wife doesn't want to use the Mazda as a daily driver and wants to upgrade to a 2020 diesel Hyundai Santa Fe. Will this tow my van ok? 1340kgs cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would say it would comfortably tow the caravan, but you need to be sure that the model you are choosing is in fact approved for towing. I’m sure that all diesel Santa Fe’s are approved for towing, but in this hybrid era best to check as not all Skoda SUV models were approved. If there’s a car you like just look at the VIN weight label normally found under the bonnet or on B pillar. . The V5 will say too but the weight label is definitive.

Members of the Forum with Santa Fe rate them as excellent cars.

This link will explain

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil boyd
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on second Santa Fe first was manual this one is auto both diesel, no probs with either towing so far,auto has a lower towing limit than the manual but still more than adequate for the weight you are proposing, also consider Kia Sorrento, sister car with very similar mechanicals, 20 plate diesels can be in short supply,but if you can find one why not arrange a test drive, and decide for yourself. Ours is 21 plate bought at big discount when they were changing to hybrid, just beware of the VED scam where you pay excess duty for first 6 years on any car over 40k list price when new

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Morning Phil, I have the 2014, Santa Fe, Auto. And it tows our 1645kg Coachman with ease. Towing limit 2000kg . Manual is 2500kg. We have now done 92k miles since new.
A bit of a blind spot on the front window frame joining the dash, but you get used to that. A proper full size spare wheel as well.
Items replaced have been tail door suspension struts, and a right hand track rod end. First 5 years we done a lot of towing around France.

Edit, Replaced the electronic handbrake unit at 90k.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
We are on second Santa Fe first was manual this one is auto both diesel, no probs with either towing so far,auto has a lower towing limit than the manual but still more than adequate for the weight you are proposing, also consider Kia Sorrento, sister car with very similar mechanicals, 20 plate diesels can be in short supply,but if you can find one why not arrange a test drive, and decide for yourself. Ours is 21 plate bought at big discount when they were changing to hybrid, just beware of the VED scam where you pay excess duty for first 6 years on any car over 40k list price when new
I can vouch for the KIA Sorrento too, I'm on my second one. The first was a KX 4 and my current is a GT Line S. It has the 8-speed automatic gearbox, self-levelling rear suspension and it tows my caravan with an MTPLM of 1615kg effortlessly. The warranty on the KIA is seven years which is two years longer than Hyundai.
During my five years of ownership, I have had the rear suspension units replaced twice after they seized up, the road wheels refurbished and an alarm fault which will be fixed when the part arrives, all covered by the warranty. I did get stung by the "Luxury Car Tax" also so, you do need to figure that into the equation.
Regarding the warranty, I always have my car serviced by the KIA dealership for peace of mind and there's never been any argument over warranty claims.
I also think the KIA waranty is more user-friendly than the Hyundai one. I was told that if my KIA developed a fault in another part of the country, I could take it to any KIA dealership and it would be repaired. According to my source, if the same happened in a Hyundai you would have to pay for the repair and claim it back. I don't know if this is accurate but, it's worth checking.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can vouch for the KIA Sorrento too, I'm on my second one. The first was a KX 4 and my current is a GT Line S. It has the 8-speed automatic gearbox, self-levelling rear suspension and it tows my caravan with an MTPLM of 1615kg effortlessly. The warranty on the KIA is seven years which is two years longer than Hyundai.
During my five years of ownership, I have had the rear suspension units replaced twice after they seized up, the road wheels refurbished and an alarm fault which will be fixed when the part arrives, all covered by the warranty. I did get stung by the "Luxury Car Tax" also so, you do need to figure that into the equation.
Regarding the warranty, I always have my car serviced by the KIA dealership for peace of mind and there's never been any argument over warranty claims.
I also think the KIA waranty is more user-friendly than the Hyundai one. I was told that if my KIA developed a fault in another part of the country, I could take it to any KIA dealership and it would be repaired. According to my source, if the same happened in a Hyundai you would have to pay for the repair and claim it back. I don't know if this is accurate but, it's worth checking.
If you buy a Kia Approved car the warranty is reinstated for the full seven years plus other benefits akin to buying new. IE infotainment upgrade for 7 years, RAC cover, MoT cover at year 3. This is different to Hyundai Approved which doesn’t reinstate the warranty. I think the Hyundai equivalent is Platinum but only for five years.

Our Kia runabout comes out of warranty end of March. It’s been a real pain insofar as it’s required a replacement seat height adjustment lever a couple of years back.
Not good enough!

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
If you buy a Kia Approved car the warranty is reinstated for the full seven years plus other benefits akin to buying new. IE infotainment upgrade for 7 years, RAC cover, MoT cover at year 3. This is different to Hyundai Approved which doesn’t reinstate the warranty. I think the Hyundai equivalent is Platinum but only for five years.

Our Kia runabout comes out of warranty end of March. It’s been a real pain insofar as it’s required a replacement seat height adjustment lever a couple of years back.
Not good enough!
KIA used to charge for the infotainment updates but they are now available free of charge from the KIA website. https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/Main

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
KIA used to charge for the infotainment updates but they are now available free of charge from the KIA website. https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/Main
Mine has to be downloaded onto a memory stick then inserted into the cars USB port on the lower dash section where my phone normally plugs in. Twice yearly updates to navigation and all infotainment aspects. An easy procedure. Mines a 2021 car and I think later ones had updates over the air. Either way the system works very well.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We have a 2014 Premium SE 7 seater auto, tows our 1800kg Bailey T/A with ease (although we are probably at about 1700kg but 4 adults in the car and surfing kit on the roof.
It's had a new battery at 8 years old and ball joint front left last year.
Love everything other than the dated infotainment system but not so easy to change that as the aircon info is displayed on the screen.

Reactions: Phil boyd and Hutch
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
They make excellent towcars, just as you'd expect for a vehicle with a kerb weight around 2 tonnes and 200bhp

Self levelling rear suspension also a bonus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts