I DON'T GET LOST ANYMORE

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just been on holiday in Devon using my new toy. It is a navigation aid called SMARTnav. It is GPS guided and it is live 24/7 x 365. You push a button and it calls the Control Centre; An operator asks you where you would like to go, you give them the information you have to hand: ie the name, the location, or the post code. It then downloads the route to you live for the whole of your journey. If it encounters any hold ups or accidents on your route it will tell you that it is about to re-route you to avoid any delays. Then when you are past the obstruction it will put you back on to your origional route.

If you are towing and it sends you on a B road ignore it and it will keep re-routing you till you are happy with the A road that you are on.

Whilst on your journey should you need to make a stop, or de-tour to a garage, or bank, or supermarket. Just press a button and ask the relevant request and it will do it for you. It is not like the ones available in the high street which are pre-programmed, ie CD ROM driven from the boot or where ever it is stowed. This one has the facility to inform you of active fixed cameras: TREVELO/ SPECS (variable speed cameras) and whatever the Blue ones are called.

We had a map in the car which we used to see where we wanted to go and let SMARnav do the rest. Best thing I have bought in a very long time.

David L

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With reference to your smart nav I was offered a car with this system fitted to it,all was fine till the sales guy said what the price of the upkeep of it was ,wheres your sense of adventure?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have at last brow beaten our friends and they now realise that the caravan is much better that the tent!! They are now embarking on buying their first Caravan and have setteled on the Discovery 100.

The question is does anyone have any points or ideas good or bad on their choice or even user feedback. They are 2 adults towing with a new Laguna 1.9 diesel. Cheers guys & Galls. we plan to go to Earls Court and blag a good deal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A typical Luddite answer from John E.(surely tongue in cheek)When we were teenagers in the cycling club we scorned gears --you hadn't covered the full distance if you weren't on fixed.The horseless carriage was poo pooed by the horse riding fraternity.Computers are bad for your eyesight.I wouldn't be without my Panasonic Sat Nav but unlike the smartnav you only pay once and you can use it all over Western Europe. There are fors and against both. The Smart has the camera warning but if you go off route and you are in a bad mobile reception zone you can not get a re-route.My friend sells them and this happened to him near to Carlise.Luckily he stumbled back onto the route.We have the cheap version of Traffic Master which we use in conjunction with sat nav to avoid hold ups. Traffic flowing freely. Another alternative is to tour with someone who has Sat-Nav and just follow them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts