I love my Cadac but..........

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That looks a really useful piece of kit. Amazing that you can still buy what looks to be the identical one after all these years. Just goes to show that if you get the design and quality right the stuff just keeps on selling.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It was most definitely T.I.C no idea of your age but I’m no spring chicken, I’m on the home straight heading for Nirvana otherwise known as retirement, planned for around this time next year , counting the days!

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The eco que looks good, not sure tho as to whether you can still buy i as I google searched and first results seem to say unavailable and not sure if it will be. I looked as I was interested in the price.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
For Kev.....do these things give off a lot of smoke are were you cooking whale steaks?

Thingy in fairness this only happened on the small one she just purchased, dont know what the difference was against this smaller one than the massive one we have because I used to cook steak on the larger one with not much prob and indeed on boxing days it's breakfast for 10 people (not steaks though)

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
It was most definitely T.I.C no idea of your age but I’m no spring chicken, I’m on the home straight heading for Nirvana otherwise known as retirement, planned for around this time next year , counting the days!

BP

Ha...i just thought, surely not someone young enough to not know what charcoal is? You never know! Good luck with the retirement.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The eco que looks good, not sure tho as to whether you can still buy i as I google searched and first results seem to say unavailable and not sure if it will be. I looked as I was interested in the price.

Its current incarnation is still available in the UK. Watch the video it gives a good insight into it.

I self fold the liners from aluminium foil. I very definitely suggest you only use the cooker with one, it stops the stainless bluing.

The original Pyromids were never cheap, understandably, but I returned with ours from the States where they even back then in dollars cost the same as an importer here wanted in GBP. They will last a lifetime, or two I am sure, if you use home folded foil liners.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of being admonished for divergence!!!! A before and after. Cadac is great using paella pan for breakfast, but oh after evening meat cook up you have to wander off to the facilities block to wash it up. Charcoal just gets bagged. Lava rock and gas ... the best of both worlds for outdoor eating :whistle:

74C1D807-F578-488B-B1C6-351234D73A52.jpeg

17EFE820-6426-47A0-81E7-56F11AC7F004.jpeg

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
I assume the defib. machine is just out of shot, for that 'heart attack' on a plate! :LOL: .
Only joking - looks good. Though can i drop the black pudding please.

ps never have a seen a dog in such close proximity to a plate of breakfast, and not be remotely interested!

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I assume the defib. machine is just out of shot, for that 'heart attack' on a plate! :LOL: .
Only joking - looks good. Though can i drop the black pudding please.

ps never have a seen a dog in such close proximity to a plate of breakfast, and not be remotely interested!

To be honest it was my first attempt and the weather was very good. If you should drop by I will substitute haggis for the black pudding.

The other dog was under the table waiting for dropped food. She couldn’t jump up as she was recovering from a TTA operation on her knee. But she cannot be trusted one iota.

Reactions: Mike
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just for the uninitiated. If you are having to wander off to the facilities to wash/clean the Cadac, you clearly havent seen the Cadac Liners yet. We do a lot on the Skottl, from Thai Curry to Breakfasts. On most occasions a simple wipe over with a tissue is enough as nof food gets through, just condensation. See
and

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy
Thanks fir the info. Ours is the smaller Cadac ( lite portions) and didn’t come with the Skottell. But the BBQ mats look very useful for Cadac or charcoal kit.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
This liner thing is interesting. I don't have a cadac, but my mate does. (though not sure of the model??) And i think he has mentioned the cleaning after bit, in the past.
Is this liner literally something that goes between the hot plate and food? But only for a specific model, or not?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I cook the food directly on the liner, with the liner placed on the hot plate.

I would not myself use one over exposed charcoal for fear the temperature involved there could release nasties from the PTFE.
Using the liner here would tend to defeat the real purpose of charcoal BBQing, the flavouring from the food juices burning on the charcoal

As an aid to cleaning the plate if that is used as the cooking surface. Pour a jug of water with a bit of added washing up detergent directly onto the plate after you remove the food, that helps stop the food juices remnants burning onto it and it greatly eases later cleaning it. I actually continue to do this even with a liner, it just helps reduce the effort later, making the whole use of these things less hassle, more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mine is the Cadac Grillo Chef which has a hot plate and paella pan. The hot plate is just a heavy griddle with some drain holes. So if oils or fats come out of the meat/fish they drain through into the lower base unit. That then needs a good clean out every so often dependant on use. The bbq griddle mats would not prevent that happening but they would make cleaning the griddle much easier. I will be buying some to try.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
I would not myself use one over exposed charcoal for fear the temperature involved there could release nasties from the PTFE.
Using the liner here would tend to defeat the real purpose of charcoal BBQing, the flavouring from the food juices burning on the charcoal

Makes perfect sense on both counts. Why would you grill on charcoal, then 'lose' the effects of same? I would also be wary of the mat releasing 'chemicals' through direct 'burning'.
I'll pass this mat idea to my mate, anyway. May save him some grief in the cleaning stakes!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Why would you grill on charcoal, then 'lose' the effects of same?

In my case because I used a so called indirect cooking technique, where the food is is on a griddle but the griddle did not cover the whole area and was not directly over the coals. In that configuration the emanating food cooking vapours circulate, some burning on the coals and consequently flavouring the food. It is a technique that works well.
Probably I should add, I use the unit's hood during this form of cooking.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
In my case because I used a so called indirect cooking technique, where the food is is on a griddle but the griddle did not cover the whole area and was not directly over the coals. In that configuration the emanating food cooking vapours circulate, some burning on the coals and consequently flavouring the food. It is a technique that works well.
Probably I should add, I use the unit's hood during this form of cooking.

This is getting too near 'Jamie Oliver' for me now. I will be sticking with my portable gas bbq. I know it inside out!

Reactions: JTQ
May 7, 2012
Visit site

• The risk is from carbon monoxide not carbon dioxide. Gas burning correctly generates virtually no CO so using a gas hob within the caravan is not a risk given the ventilation within the caravan. The risk of CO from charcoal bbqs is another matter given that such bbqs do generate a lot more CO. Only relatively recently some campers died from CO poisoning whilst sleeping in their tent. The disposable bbq had been used and placed in the tents front area for disposal the following day. A very sad accident. Hence the increase of warning notices at CMHC and CCC sites.
Sorry not sure how the 2 got in there. I appreciate the accident in the tent, but with zips and sewn in ground sheets these tend to be far more airtight than awnings, so the risk in an awning should be far less. It is not good practice to use one in an awning though, particularly charcoal which emit CO for some time..

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
At the end of the day, cooking (apart from leccy), is literally 'playing with fire'. And fire and fabrics - of any sort, don't really mix. Most get it right 100% of the time, and you never hear a word. But get it wrong once, and you become a statistic. Common sense usually keeps you on the right side.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not ready for the George Formon bit yet, but have thought of trying this gas BBQ. https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/kampa-table-top-bbq/
Any one use one, ?

That way i can still burn my food to the correct level.
I mentioned lava rocks in an above post. I had one of this type and it’s a good compromise between a charcoal bbq and a straight gas type bbq. The rocks do add something to the flavour as per traditional bbq but of course no charcoal debris to dispose of.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I mentioned lava rocks in an above post. I had one of this type and it’s a good compromise between a charcoal bbq and a straight gas type bbq. The rocks do add something to the flavour as per traditional bbq but of course no charcoal debris to dispose of.
I might give it a try for next time out. It's light enough to carry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts