i need a site to book a tourer caravan in france

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me please, I have booked the eurotunnel for next friday 14 Aug for 17 days for my car and caravan, for me, my husband and 6 year old son. I have now discovered how difficult it is to book sites in France. I am with the caravan club but they only have a few sites on their online service. Does anyone know a site that can instantly tell me whether there is a pitch available or not. I know i have left it late! but i was planning on staying here for 2 weeks but the weather's been so awful i need to get away. Thank you if anyone can help me. Dee x

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd say that after 14th August you really won't need to book anywhere except the most popular sites in a beachside situation. Take the Caravan Club Europe 1 book with you, or the Alan Rogers Guide and just find a site. If you don't leave it until late at night you'll nearly always find a free pitch, especially after that weekend when all the French tend to leave and go home.

If you have a look at the Camping Cheque website www.campingcheque.co.uk - you can see lots of sites (under our campsites) - click on the dots on the map of France, then get the information page, and then if you really must book you can go directly to the campsite website from the information page. Nearly all have a facility to book on line, check availability, etc., and almost always an English version of the website.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, can recommed Camping Mayotte at Biscarosse, their web site indicates vacancies www.mayottevacances.com/gb.html

We used to go to landes area regularly the last time in 2006 when we went the same time as you ware planning. There is absolutely no reason to book at this time of the year unless you want something very specific. We went to a site at Andernos-le-Bain which is on the side of the Basin d'Archachon and there were loads of spaces. There are loads of good quality sites in the Biscarosse area and there will be vacancies and I am sure there will be vacancies after the weekend following 15th August.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you are not heading for the south but want somewhere to go with things to look at, consider the municipal site Le Vallon de l'Ehn at Obernai on Alsace about 20 miles SW of Strasbourg. (Google camping obernai to find it.) Nice site, plenty of space, surrounded by vines (OK two sides anyway,) 10 minute walk into beautiful old town, good wine country. All reception staff speak good English (the boss, Annie, was once a teaching assistant in a UK grammar school - she even swears in English.)

You can occupy the young one by going to the Rhine canal (only about 6-7 miles) and watching the boats go by and feeding the swans - it kept us amused for hours and we are in our 50's!

Almost all pitches have mains, and most have water and drainage as well. Facilities are clean and well maintained. Only downside is it can be a bit congested - but there again most French sites are like that.

Used to be stay 10 nights and get 11th free. Local wine sold (from fridge) on site, and Internet available at office very cheaply (used to be 50c/hour)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you go to any of the sites near Poitiers or Jauny Clan you could all have a day out at Futurscope and this is about "half way" north to south.

Wherever, pick a town with a few sites nearby and start looking mid afternoon. You will be exceptionally unlucky if you can't find one with a vacant pitch. You can usually go in for one night, give in you Camping Card instead of your passport and then decide the next morning how long you want to stay - most sites are a good deal more relaxed in this respect than UK sites. If you can manage "pour plusier jours... and give a Gallic shrug" very few owners will push you to be more specific.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts