I thought I’d seen it all πŸ€”

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On one of my Bailey Forums here’s a way of carrying cycles, home made.
All wise and sensible comments welcome before I fit oneπŸ˜‰
Hi...
Some folk on here & campsites ask me about this carrier... for some reason some find it controversial
πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«
Worth noting much more usual on European vans as their 'A' frames are a better design (longer & with no plastics)... many have lateral carrier rails directly bolted to the 'A'
πŸ‘

Bit tighter space with UK design, but either way mine has been brilliant, particularly when touring mainland EU, as top-box often fitted on car & we need everything stowed for easy access overnight soips on Autoroute/Autobahn/Autovias/Autostrade.
πŸ™‚

When sited & de-coupled we use the rack straight on vehicle tow-ball to transport bikes !
😁

End quote

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 45
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Great idea.

Wonder what effect it has on nose weight πŸ€”
If a cycle is being carried it will be no different to Continental caravans, in that it will increase noseweight and the OP would then have to make compensating adjustments elsewhere in the overall loading. Not that difficult as it’s something we’ve all had to do at sometime or other, particularly those with nose heavy caravans.

I’m more interested in how the auxiliary tow ball was fitted to the A frame. .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I like the idea, just adjust for nose weight, but of course there is the problem of if / when , an accident happens, and it is caused by a bike falling off. !!!!!
But then again people carrying stuff on a roof rack coming loose, who get the blame.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think is looks very neat and useable. Can you explain how the ball is attached to the A frame? Was drilling of the chassis needed?

John

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Is it April 1st !!!
Not worried about the Nose weight
my concern is what stops it pivoting on a round ball, surely its not that tight as you have to get it on and off, cant see any fixed stays to the van!!
His last line says...
When sited & de-coupled we use the rack straight on vehicle tow-ball to transport bikes !
😁

BikeS can only see one, sorry DD best pedal it to site :LOL:

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
On one of my Bailey Forums here’s a way of carrying cycles, home made.
All wise and sensible comments welcome before I fit oneπŸ˜‰
Hi...
Some folk on here & campsites ask me about this carrier... for some reason some find it controversial
πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«
Worth noting much more usual on European vans as their 'A' frames are a better design (longer & with no plastics)... many have lateral carrier rails directly bolted to the 'A'
πŸ‘

Bit tighter space with UK design, but either way mine has been brilliant, particularly when touring mainland EU, as top-box often fitted on car & we need everything stowed for easy access overnight soips on Autoroute/Autobahn/Autovias/Autostrade.
πŸ™‚

😁

End quote
Dusty do you have more photos of installation, especially how it attaches to trailer frame. I'm planning on fitting towball to front like you for a single rack. Have some ideas how to do it but would prefer to copy what others have done. Why reinvent the wheel.

See link on how I carry to ebikes inside.
View: https://youtu.be/pMCoMbU1o2A?si=BDlOI2c2pwox4iS8

This works well but it is hassle load and unload. Hoping to carry one on front and 2nd inside the SUV.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
First problem seems to be how it is attached to the A frame. A clamp would be acceptable but drilling would not. It would certainly increase the nose weight considerably so unless you have a lot of leeway it could make the outfit illegal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s a description from the guy who made it. No names , taken from https://www.facebook.com/groups/161496827754337

β€œthere is an 8mm galvanised plate bolted across 'A'... 4 bolts... holes all rust proofed etc. On paper strengthens the frame a little rather than weakens.... however Alko don't advise drilling as concerned about rust anywhere drilled - understandable as the chassis is well protected from new.
The off-shelf galvanised ball is bolted to centre of plate...
Corresponding hole through plastics”

I’m seriously considering it myself. If any of you guys do it please post .

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I was planning on clamping mounting plate to frame with UBolts. Use some plastic or wood to stop bolts and plate rubbing frame. Idea is remove it when van is sold so don't want any extra holes in frame.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alko's concern about additional drilled holes is principally about how they will remove material and weaken the frame, rusting is a secondary but important concern.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Alko's concern about additional drilled holes is principally about how they will remove material and weaken the frame, rusting is a secondary but important concern.
Absolutely as described by the chap who designed and built it. I’ve asked him for some photos / drawings of the mounting bracket. Plus guage and type of metal used. My main concern is the erosion of my pay load. The bracket will be no light weight and the two bikes are probably 60/70 kgs. EV battery can go in car.
I’ve never seen this design before . A credit go the chap who did itπŸ‘πŸ‘.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look what I found on another Bailey site
An excellent link but the payload would not take your two bikes. Looks a reasonably well thought out piece of kit. Postage is expensive but I guess that’s because it’s German.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
An excellent link but the payload would not take your two bikes. Looks a reasonably well thought out piece of kit. Postage is expensive but I guess that’s because it’s German.
I reckon it could easily be upgraded to a heavier weight limit. But as long as the nose load is retained within limits no over load should arise on the whole chassis or its various fastenings. Something to think about during the winter

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I reckon it could easily be upgraded to a heavier weight limit. But as long as the nose load is retained within limits no over load should arise on the whole chassis or its various fastenings. Something to think about during the winter
Whilst upgrading the scantlings would be feasible, what is the limit for the bike carrier’s attachment to the tow ball given the weight of two heavy electric bicycles?

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Look what I found on another Bailey site
It strike me that if that idea is used then the plastic fairing could not be used.

IMG_1425.jpeg

In that case would not somthing like this be better?

Or even cheaper.

1694811190071.jpeg

But would it manage bikes on a UK β€˜A’ frame?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your input John and Clive.
I never knew these type of carriers were commercially available.
I have friends who weld for a living so upgrading strength wise isn’t a problem. Losing the fairing is a compromise and will need the ATC light relocating.
The Al-ko chassis are not overly strong. Like the jacking points I think adding stiffeners will make sense.
Do you think the bikes in this position could adversely affect making tight turns?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your input John and Clive.
I never knew these type of carriers were commercially available.
I have friends who weld for a living so upgrading strength wise isn’t a problem. Losing the fairing is a compromise and will need the ATC light relocating.
The Al-ko chassis are not overly strong. Like the jacking points I think adding stiffeners will make sense.
Do you think the bikes in this position could adversely affect making tight turns?
That’s a point. I’ve only ever seen bikes front mounted on Continental vans which have the longer A frame. So the shorter British A Frame might present a problem. Could you Jack knife the outfit then position a bike at where the forward most bike would sit if you can get it in to position.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It might be possible to check if the bikes might be a problem simply by taking the outfit to a large empty car park and reversing into a jack knife position and see what room you have. My feeling is that it may not be a problem, but I would check it out.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for ebay link. Looks good and should handle 1xebike in limited space on my old bailey. All up weight will be around 30kg, mount 5.6kg, single towbal rack 4kg, 20kg for ebike minus battery.

I plan to offset some of that weight by removing 20kg (full) gas bottle from locker and carry in car. Full bike cover may put large aerodynamic loads on towball/rack, probably best to leave bike uncovered. There are neoprane covers for motors and foodwrap around handlebar remotes should keep any rain out of electronics

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts