Idea's for the next one

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
September was a suggested time, having done a quick survey on site, Steve. Quite a few can't make it for August due to other commitments. Don't know where school holidays fit into this though, that may be a problem. Someone mentioned Cannock Chase as a possible place to go. A little further north than Lickhill, but more central. We have never been there before, so can't comment on the place ourselves, perhaps there are some that could though.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys, I originally thought September but as Lol says it could throw up a few problems with those of us who have kids.

It could be done but it would mean some of us arriving late on the Friday.

What we need is to find a window for a long weekend in Sept/Oct, Easter was ideal as most are off work, this time it could mean some of us taking time off work, difficult one this one.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hiya all,Lol has suggested Cannock Chase which is not far from where I live and a lovely spot but if you want EHU (and who doesnt these days ) there is only one site and that is the C&CC club site which also has showers,it is not very big right on the chase but parts are sloping ( no shop as such ) an alternative might be the C&CC site at Kingsbury Water Park right by the M42 so getting there is easy,or Riverside at Stratford on Avon (on the banks of the river.If you come up with an area I will try and put up some ideas.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Riverside is a big site and has a water ferry to the middle of stratford. On a saturday there is a great market at nearby Welsbourne that is quite big and cheap.

Loads to do in stratford with a swimming pool not far for the kids and plenty of shops.

Very good suggestion Tony, and no it has nothing to do with my van being stored near Dodwell (about 5 miles from the site)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Riverside is a big site and has a water ferry to the middle of stratford. On a saturday there is a great market at nearby Welsbourne that is quite big and cheap.

Loads to do in stratford with a swimming pool not far for the kids and plenty of shops.

Very good suggestion Tony, and no it has nothing to do with my van being stored near Dodwell (about 5 miles from the site)
Dodwell,that takes me back a bit I used know the owner there quite well because of the job I did as Caravan manager for a subsidiary of one of the big banks.

With Riverside you also have their other site which is next door and of course their other site the other side of the river connected by 'the millenium bridge'and a good pub for food in the village.The site wardens are also very friendly and the loos have under floor heating.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Stratford is the Lovliest place, especially in summer, if you go there could we come???

Steve you could finish my windows!!!!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Another possibilty is The Ranch at Honeybourne,it has plenty of room ample hook ups,shop,clubhouse (with food)wc/showers and outdoor swimming pool,if you try this one try and do a deal with the site to have the self contained 'round field' by the entrance.From here you are still close to Stratford,Bidford and Broadway and the Cotswold villages and of course is still near to where Steve keeps his van by Dodwells!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'll have to let you know about coming along to another meet this year as I had my caravan written off on Tuesday evening whilst towing it back to the farm. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Crikey Lisa!

I just checked out the site as it was lunchtime and read that your caravan was no more.

What on earth hapened?

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your kind words.

I took it home to offload everything then was driving it back to the farm (Phil was with me as he has to reverse it into a tight spot). Anyway, I was just going along a tiwsty road round a bend when all of a sudden bang! The caravan suddenly stopped and was leaning on one side, I applied the brakes etc.

We got out and the wheel had come off, there was no sign of it anywhere. The braking system could be seen, the lower half of the side panel had been ripped off and there were cracks around the door, part of the chasis was damaged. Phil eventually found the wheel about 100 feet away in a field.

I rang the Green Flag (had no phone on me so two chaps let me use one of theirs). Two police cars turned up to direct the traffic, as it happened on the brow of a hill and near a sharp bend. We ended up with two Green Flag vehicles in the end, they winched the van onto their low loader thingy and took it to the farm.

Thank god it didn't happen on the M1 or M42, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I wasn't intending to change my caravan this year (having had all the hassle with my previous car blowing up and then having to buy another one quickly!).

I am just thanking my lucky stars that as said previously, it didn't happen whilst driving at speed on the motorway and Emma, Phil and I are still alive to tell the tale. (and Gaylord of course!!).

Lisa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa sorry to hear of the accident - it sounds exactly the same as mine last July, the studs holding the wheel sheared and the wheel virtually destroyed the inside as well as the near side, roof and off side panel. Our wheel was over the hedge in a field. As Lord B said thankfully no one was hurt. The van can be repaired/replaced but limbs, etc. are a different matter. Our van was a Bailey ranger 500/5 and Saga insurance were brilliant. We had no problems settling the claim but were not so fortunate with Green Flag. We have now purchased a motor home (second hand) and enjoing it. Keep your chin up and, apart from the hassle of claims forms, etc., go for it and do not be too disheartened.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lord B and Colin.

Colin - I have used Green Flag twice within the past month and each time they arrived within the hour (first call out the car had to be towed to a garage, second as described above). I also used them whilst in Cornwall last year. I have only praise for them, sorry your experience was not so good.

Lisa

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

Sorry for to hear about your caravan glade that you and Phil and Emma are ok.

I hope you get a new van soon so we will see you at the next meet.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just noticed the "Reader Rally" in May's PC. It's at Stowford farm in Devonshire on the weekend 15-18 September. It looks interesting and as it's an organised event, there is little preperation needed on our part. I have no idea of the number of vacancies left but will enquire if there is enthusiasm for it. The only problem I see, as with the rest of the year, is dates/school/holiday times. Can anyone interested, post that they are to gauge opinions, thanks.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol, at the moment September is a big no no for me what with new car 56 plates coming out, but after the easter meet I realised that working every Saturday, alternate Sundays ,most bank holidays and now being told that as I had last Xmas off I can't have this one selling cars is seriously effecting our caravaning. So I think after 10 years its time to join the 9 to 5 Monday to Friday crowd and spend a bit more time with the family. So all being well count us in. Brian (",)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Yes Lol,but what to that is the problem,working 50 to 55 hours a week has never been a problem to me as you know I used to be a publican and before that owned a restaurant so was working all hours. But now the kids are growing up (5 and 7)I really want to spend some time with them. The easter meet really bought this home to me as we had such a good time so I think its time to bite the bullet and do something about it.

Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS