if you use the dover to Dunkirk crossing..

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just thought i'd mention that as you leave the port no more than a mile and a half away the area is called loon plage there is a decent size supermarket with a huge empty car park. the road is called rue charles de gaulle [d940] turn left at the roundabout where you can see 3 cheap hotels .Kyraid and campanelle are visible then 20 yards later turn right the superstore is on your left . fresh products ect and not busy! there was an HGV and a motorhome parked in their over night .not suggesting its a good stop over but the car park was huge and there were no signs that there was a super market there..

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that info Johnny, but I drive straight to Camping le Chaumier in Buysschere, only forty minutes from the ferry. Much safer if your overnighting.
Oh, and btw, don't take any notice of the Caravan Club's Touring France.The directions are right, but the nightly fee is €20, not the €34 that they quote! Great bistro at the weekends too.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For those wondering, it is the Auchan at Grande Synthe he is talking about. Note however that leaving the ferry port you have to turn off the access road where it directs to "Port 5200 a 5220". The main road by-passes the island with the hotels etc, so you have to come off at this earlier exit to get to the hotel island.Then follow the D601 to Grande Synthe.

However, when you see Auchan DO NOT turn into the front car park if you are towing or are in a MH. Continue on the D601 to the next island and turn right onto the D131 signed to the A16/E40, then take the first slip into the side entrance of the car park. To get fuel you drive as if going back to the D131 but turn right into the petrol station just before reaching the D131. Do not use the booth payment if you have a caravan sized other than very small as there is a sharp turn into the booth which can make life VERY difficult. The 24hr pumps do take UK cards and sometimes talk in English - well at first anyway; the exit from these pumps is wide and straight.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I would think there are two different locations here.........

JonnyG is talking about the Dia ( Carrefour) supermarket in Loon Plage not far from the ferry terminal.
The Auchan supermarket is some 7 kms away at Grande Synthe.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I hope he isn't if towing or in a MH as there is a low height barrier on the entrance and it does not have a filling station. Having said that my original comment about the 'Pont 5200 a 5220' exit still applies as it is the same island.

Auchan is a much better proposition even if a few miles away (up a good dual carriageway.)

If going west and you don't want that diversion, then leave the A16 at J43, turn right, then left at the second island. This will take you to the Auchan at Coquelles whence to can continue to rejoin the A16 at J41.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
The french fuel stops for credit cards do not accept lots of the pre loaded currency cards or Amec. from the currency card companies the reason is that they do not want you running into debit. which i find as being a lame excuse

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Woodentop said:
I hope he isn't if towing or in a MH as there is a low height barrier on the entrance and it does not have a filling station. Having said that my original comment about the 'Pont 5200 a 5220' exit still applies as it is the same island.

Auchan is a much better proposition even if a few miles away (up a good dual carriageway.)

If going west and you don't want that diversion, then leave the A16 at J43, turn right, then left at the second island. This will take you to the Auchan at Coquelles whence to can continue to rejoin the A16 at J41.
yes sorry i should have mentioned there is a barrier which is a manual barrier ,you simply push it up and it stays up. although i do believe i did mention a lorry being parked in there..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts