If your wheel came off let me know here.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

The wheel came off my first van. The van was written off.

Cause was the brakes were sticking, causing excessive heat which sheered the nuts off and subsequently the wheel.

It had been serviced 10 months previously.

Lisa

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Not caravan wheels, but many years ago every ambulance in Swansea was replaced, because of several incidents involving wheels falling off. Not loose nuts, the studs were shearing. I understand that they all went to auction, and were not available to Joe Public.

Nobody ever found out why.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi

Cause was the brakes were sticking, causing excessive heat which sheered the nuts off and subsequently the wheel.

Lisa
Someone told you stories ther, Lisa. Even if the brakes were binding, the nuts should not shear. The drums can get red hot and yet the nuts should hold.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Lisa
Well, that's what the recovery people told me. The insurance assessor wasn't bothered at all. The insurance company paid up no quibbles.

Lisa

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
HI all

I had a 2002 Compass Omega brand new,had a blowout on the Oxford by-pass,following year first time out I had a wheel come off at 40 mph.I was told by the repair shop it was a common problem after a blowout because the axle is damaged and was bent causing the wheel bolts pulling through the alloy wheel.They had to fit a new axle and wheels.I sold the caravan as soon as I got it back,every time I take my caravan out now I always check the wheel studs with a torque wrench

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
The nearside wheel came off our caravan a number of years ago.It was on the A6 just outside Buxton.The sickening thud and scraping was a shock, as was the wheel sailing past us. Fortunately it didn't cause too much damage.We had to be taken home on the back of a transporter.(Well the caravan did!!)

We never set off now unless we have checked the torque on the wheel nuts.Better safe than sorry.

G

Yes. I've admitted it here before. UK near side wheel came off!

I had forgotten final tighten when I got the caravan on the ground.

My fault, I'd been distracted.

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi there Tim, Looking back at my last topic about my caravan wheel falling off after a service, I see you made a comment about a certain company that sold and serviced your caravan, is this company in the dorset area?? as I have reason to believe we are talking about the same servicer!

Kind regards,

Tony

Oct 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi ! YES, I lost nearside off of my FENDT 550 TG in June this year. Seemed to be down to overtightening of bolts on NEARSIDE - fortunately only doing ~20 mph, and on quiet road. Hate to think if it had occurred 20 minutes earlier on the M20, or earlier on the M25, where one was occasionally forced to travel in the middle lane for overtaking !! No one hurt, BUT, lost use for 4 months, hassle with NFU (I leave you to fill in the blanks !!!), and the MOBILE service "engineer" has been untraceable in the meantime. (Name and Address of "engineer" removed. It is NOT allowable to post such information on the site, take any unresolved contact up with either the Police or through your solicitor. Damian, Moderator) Wheels were both checked at 60 miles after starting out, and the van had not been used prior to "accident", the service being performed ~2 weeks before leaving. Perhaps should have used a fixed agent, but not so convenient at the time. !

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not being funny or anything but the modified post of Keith's needs punctuating properly as it reads like Damian (Moderator) 'has been untraceable in the meantime'.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the nearside wheel come off our Ace Award Nightstar last year

The wheel had been balanced and I replaced it and after lowering the van the bolt torque was checked as usual

The van was them moved across the drive ready for departure next morning and definitely rechecked for torque including getting out the locking wheel bolt key

After 12 miles the next day the wheel came off

We only found the locking bolt and one other bolt

The wheel was never seen again

The previous day we had had a seller of flowers at the door and suspect a return visit overnight to try to remove the wheel to get the Alko lock off in an attempt to steal the van

I have always been meticulous over the years in checking torque before every trip after stopping to help someone with a wheel off 20 years ago

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Call me Mr Dumbo if you like, but I can't understand why it is that some people experience wheels falling off caravans. I have been towing caravans and trailers for many years and regularly check wheel nuts - but have never even found one loose, let alone coming off. What is is about caravans - wheels don't come off cars (well, rarely), they don't come off bikes, they don't come of skateboards - why caravans??? If there is an issue, surely it cannot be beyond the wit of engineers to devise a fail-safe method of securing the things. I like to be sure that everything I handle is tight and secure - if overtightening of nuts causes problems then surely there must be a way of manufacturing studs that are up to the job. I'm baffled...!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colinn

I had towed for 30 years without a wheel comimg off until it happened

Its not beyond engineers to design better fixing

My daughter had an old ambulance/camper and that had left hand thread nuts on the nearside

When I rang the insurance from the roadside they said that it was always the nearside wheel that came off and when LH thread bolts were mentioned they replied that it would save them a lot in payouts(

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I still can't understand why this is such an issue with caravans, but you never hear about it happening on cars. I strongly suspect that the wheels that some caravan manufacturers use (or fitted subsequently as an after-sales item) were not designed for use with the specific caravan chassis, i.e. whoever fitted the wheels did not check with AlKo or other chassis manufacturer regarding their suitability first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz-regards

That may well be true but many posts are from people with new vans with factory fitted wheels

It was no surprise at my dealer and they have a set procedure of sending the axle back to Alko every time they have a wheel come off which is a few times each year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was a sceptic too like Lutz and Colinn until the wheel came off the rear of the car just outside Oban this year.

Why?

Well I'd had new tyres fitted and the invoicwe said in bold leters check the wheel nut torques after 50 miles. I'd never done it before so didn't bother. My fault.

The best theory put forward on the last thread where this subject was done to death was the chemical interaction between steel and aluminium. Unless both wheel and hub are spotlessly clean a false torque reading can be given on the wrench.

Maybe Mr Mods could steer us to that previous thread.

The mechanic at Oban said he sees quite a few cars and caravans with wheels adrift, usually holiday makers who have had new tyres or recently removed the wheels to service the brakes.

I'm a convert now. The torque wrench is in the boot and used before all jouneys.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Lutz-regards

That may well be true but many posts are from people with new vans with factory fitted wheels

It was no surprise at my dealer and they have a set procedure of sending the axle back to Alko every time they have a wheel come off which is a few times each year.
I wouldn't even put it beyond the realms of possibility that even factory-fitted wheels were not co-ordinated with AlKo. (The chassis that AlKo supply to the caravan manufacturer are normally without wheels)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I am sceptical about the theory regarding chemical reaction (contact corrosion) between aluminium wheels and steel bolts (or studs), but wouldn't discard it outright. The factory-fitted aluminium wheels on my car have steel sleeve inserts where the studs go, so that should avoid the problem, if the theory is true. Also, it is possible that 'car grade' wheels are being used on caravans although they really need 'commercial vehicle grade' (at least on single axles), due to the higher axle loads compared to cars.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"the higher axle loads compared to cars", quoting Lutz, may be a factor as it means the loading and thus the cyclic loading on the wheel to hub interface with a single axle caravan is higher than the car.

Looking at my wife's car's wheel bolting, its no lighter than my caravan, but that van takes 100% of the cars weight but on a single axle; ie van twice the load per wheel?

My Land Rover on the other hand has massive bolting,relatively quite out of proportion to the load it takes [2150kg rear axle] relative to the van[1900kg axle].

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Car wheels are located on a central flange/spigot/hub whatever,the bolts/nuts hold the wheel in place. Caravan wheels are not centrally located, they are located only by the bolts/nuts, I think the manufacturer`s should adopt the car`s princepal of locating wheels. I purchased a set of bolt/nut locks direct from Al-Ko cant remember the exact price about

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not all car wheels are located by a central spigot (the ones one the front axle of my car are, the ones at the rear aren't). This feature is only used to locate the wheel during assembly, but the fit between spigot and wheel is not that tight that it serves to locate the wheel when driving. There is just under a millimeter clearance between the two. Therefore, despite the spigot, the wheels are still located by the bolts.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Like Lutz, I just cannot understand why it is that after decades of manufacturing caravans, a fail-safe device has not been engineered to make sure that caravan wheels CANNOT come off. If wheels kept coming off coaches or lorries, every vehicle of their type would be taken off the road by the DoT until the problem was solved. Why not with caravans!?

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Not all car wheels are located by a central spigot (the ones one the front axle of my car are, the ones at the rear aren't). This feature is only used to locate the wheel during assembly, but the fit between spigot and wheel is not that tight that it serves to locate the wheel when driving. There is just under a millimeter clearance between the two. Therefore, despite the spigot, the wheels are still located by the bolts.
Yes not all car wheels have the centre spigotI could name quite a few, old Citroen`s 2Cv type some Renaults and Fiats

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..... so what happened to tim the OP and why did he want to know?

For my money Human error or Human sabotage/interference causes the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts