Ijmuiden to Lathuile via Germany ?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Some advice please,
I am hoping to get booked into a site around Lathuile probably around August the 3rd, I initially planned a route via Lux avoiding all toll roads and stopping off at Quingey.
I am now considering traveling down via Germany stopping off at the two CC sites at Rudesheim and Staufen, its a wee bit longer but I have never driven through Germany / Switzerland before. Has anyone driven these routes any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Russell

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Russell
Driving in Germany is fine. There is a lower speed limit of 80kph in force although keeping up with the wagons seems unofficially acceptable! At least that is what we do when we drive in Germany which we do quite often. I have various blogs and site reports on my website which might help. Been to both the sites you mention a couple of times each, both good sites although you can be crowded in at Rudeshiem and the pitches at Belchenblick are not generously sized.
http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/campingplatz_rudesheim_am_rhein_.htm
http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/CampingBelchenblick.htm
David

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David

I was actually just checking out your website, as you replied. Here's another question for you if I was staying on the main routes through Germany would I still need to get a emissions sticker or does this only come into force when entering Towns or Cities?

Russell

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
You do not need an emission sticker or less you are visiting some towns and cities in Germany. Germany is a wonderful country to travel in so clean and residents so friendly and helpful. We have been visiting it for over 30 years the last 8 years with the caravan for more info go to my website as in the signature below on Emissions, Routes and Camp Sites. If out of season an ACSI Camping Card is a must, more about that on the website.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Russell_374424372 said:
Thanks David

I was actually just checking out your website, as you replied. Here's another question for you if I was staying on the main routes through Germany would I still need to get a emissions sticker or does this only come into force when entering Towns or Cities?

Russell

Russell
As Dianne has said it not an absolute requirement but it does depend where you go in Germany. Earlier in the year drove across the German industrial belt near Dortmund and its only the autobahn that is not covered by the Umwelt Plakette, each road from the junctions did require one. One advantage of Germany is that it has such excellent public transport there is rarely the need to take your car anywhere near a large town.
David

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
If you are concerned about the emissions sticker, simply stick to the motorways until you get to your site being careful to avoid the zones (you can identify these from the web) and call at a car dealership with your registration document and €5 to obtain one.
David

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, I am still in two minds whether its worth the extra 100 miles or so, have any of you travelled from the south of Germany through Switzerland around Geneva to Lake Annecy, is it easy to avoid the toll roads in Switzerland as I do not fancy paying the 80 euro for the car and van. If this is not a problem I would go down via Germany and return via France.
PS the site I had chosen (camping les Fountaines) at the Southern tip of Lake Annecy contacted me and said that they do not take reservations for this time, after 700 odd miles they expect you to turn up and hope for the best, I am now considering either Camping L'ideal or L' Escale any experiences?
Russell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts