I'm so confused! How do I get insurance for my caravan that I'm living in full-time?

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
It seems there were a handful of insurers that used to cover full time living in a caravan, including Adrian Flux, Comfort, Sterling, Caravan Guard, CIS, Towergate, Aviva. I have now called most of these insurers and they all say no to full time living.

I'm guessing these things have gotten stricter over the past few years as the posts I found recommending these companies were from a few years ago.

What do people do in this situation?

There must be an insurer willing to cover it. Surely they would just quote a very high premium but I haven't even been able to get a single quote yet. Would be so grateful of some advice on this.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not use the same address that you use for your driving licence and registration of the car which I assume si the address of a friend or relative? The caravan would then be on a seasonal site. This is what we did when living permanently in our caravan.

Reactions: Sarah Lane
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where you are living, if on a site it should be possible, I would ask anyone there doing the same. Another route might be to try a Compare the Market or similar and see if that turns up anything.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, everyone!

A couple of details:

I'm on a friend's land so it's a private pitch.

I don't drive yet - I'll be learning this year/next year so for the time-being one of my parents would be the registered keeper of the vehicle.

It's a tourer - a Tabbert Paris - not sure if that makes a difference.

I think my main question is how insurers define a "seasonal pitch" :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC define it
A seasonal pitch is a special type of plot on a campsite which allows you to base your caravan there for the season. This means you can leave your caravan on one of our Club Sites for six to seven months, making last-minute breaks and weekends away so much easier.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
CAMC define it
A seasonal pitch is a special type of plot on a campsite which allows you to base your caravan there for the season. This means you can leave your caravan on one of our Club Sites for six to seven months, making last-minute breaks and weekends away so much easier.
Ooh thanks, that's helpful. Presumably insurers will define it in a similar way. (Of course, I'll check their caveats)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now wondering if comprehensive cover includes weather damage :unsure:
I think that you would need to read the policy terms of insurance that you are interested in. Caravan and Motor Home Club and Camping and Caravan Club both cover seasonal caravan pitches and their policy details can be found on their websites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts