In praise of Hyundai

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
To all of you who argue vigorously whether or not to have the X Trail instead of the CR V or the Sorento I would like to suggest you consider the Hyundai Santa fe which hardly ever gets a mention here. Please feel free to ignore the findings in the What Car test as I have just covered over 2,000 miles (south of France and back)in our new CRDT Santa Fe, pulling a fully laden Abbey Cardinal 495 (MTPL 1460 kgs). The car was superb. Plenty of oomph, 28 mpg and never had a problem lane changing. I am a police trained driver including the blues and twos stuff so have some experience regarding handling, performance etc. However, it's biggest plus for me is that of all the cars I've ever driven it has far and away the most cofortable drivers seat I've had the pleasure to have sat in. For someone who suffers back problems it's positively theraputic.

Try one!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris, I too have a very recently purchased Santa Fe Limited (2.2 CRTD+) 5 seat model and it is certainly the most comfortable of cars. However, I have yet to tow with it - next week on 350 mile trip to Cornwall. I hope it tows as well as it travels solo. The Spec is also superb for the price.

One question though is do you tow with ESP engaged or do you de-select it for towing? Your feedback would be gratefully received.

John

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chris, I too have a very recently purchased Santa Fe Limited (2.2 CRTD+) 5 seat model and it is certainly the most comfortable of cars. However, I have yet to tow with it - next week on 350 mile trip to Cornwall. I hope it tows as well as it travels solo. The Spec is also superb for the price.

One question though is do you tow with ESP engaged or do you de-select it for towing? Your feedback would be gratefully received.

John
Hi, I always leave the ESP on, if only because I never considered turning it off. I think anything that helps keep things under control must help. I actually used the 4WD when coming out of a muddy site in Orleans (up steep hill) , that seemed to work fine too. Good luck for your trip,

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris

I have had the CDX7 CRTD since January. Towed it nearly 5000 miles this year. Superb car I am getting 30/32 towing as well. 5 year warranty is a bonus but I have had nothing do wrong yet anyway. IMHO it is a far better car than the Sorento. I did consider the CRV but my caravan is heavy and on the limit for the Honda. After Years of Fronteras [which I also rate very highly] it is amazing how much the technology has come on.

What car didn't slag it that much - it got 4*s and is the second best after the Freelander is it not?

One query - is yours new? Have they now put a decent radion in it? Mine is pure crap! No TP or RDS. That is my one complaint!

DavidC

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Chris

I have had the CDX7 CRTD since January. Towed it nearly 5000 miles this year. Superb car I am getting 30/32 towing as well. 5 year warranty is a bonus but I have had nothing do wrong yet anyway. IMHO it is a far better car than the Sorento. I did consider the CRV but my caravan is heavy and on the limit for the Honda. After Years of Fronteras [which I also rate very highly] it is amazing how much the technology has come on.

What car didn't slag it that much - it got 4*s and is the second best after the Freelander is it not?

One query - is yours new? Have they now put a decent radion in it? Mine is pure crap! No TP or RDS. That is my one complaint!

DavidC
Hi, Got the car about 2 weeks before our trip to france, now done just over 4,000 miles. Same radio I'm afraid but the sound from the CD player is good. Love it. (the car that is)

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I always leave the ESP on, if only because I never considered turning it off. I think anything that helps keep things under control must help. I actually used the 4WD when coming out of a muddy site in Orleans (up steep hill) , that seemed to work fine too. Good luck for your trip,

Chris
Thanks Chris, its just that one or two caravan mags seemed to imply that leaving on ESP could be an issue - not sure what issue, but there you go. Will leave on.

Thanks

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts