Increasing price of oil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What really gets MY goat, is that we keep hearing on the national press that "There's nothing the government can do about high global oil prices, and so it's not really their fault"!!

REALLY.......What a load of absolute drivel.

Now cynical old me says that if they didn't go invading oil producing countries where they had no business, and SUBSTANTIALLY CUT THE AMOUNT OF FUEL DUTY.....we#d all be in a much better position.

Great that this lot that are in power at the moment can help everybody except their own citizens!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Get real - if the Government reduced the duty on fuel they'd significantly reduce their revenue and have to cut back on spending.

Where would you make the cuts - health, education, law and order, miliary equipment ?

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
If we have to get "real" we could have a huge decrease in fuel prices if only those entitled to our services got them.

Also motorists are not a cash cow to provide Government who can't manage education, health, social svice and military budgets in an efficient way.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"Also motorists are not a cash cow to provide Government who can't manage education, health, social svice and military budgets in an efficient way."

Anyone with children, elderly relatives, ill health or relatives serving in the forces might disagree with you - there can't be many people that don't fall into one or more of those groups.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Well I fit in there just about and my son is an RAF pilot. We have elderly drivers who pay tax and tax paying parents with in the family as well.

As far as I'm aware most of them do not agree with you Roger and moan like hell about what they pay and paying for others who are non entitled. My staff all moan the same to.

It's an old political trick laying the blame for underfunded services on the tax payer, and one a lot of are sick of :

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sadie - what a wonderful life you, your family, friends and employees lead.

Educational standards drop year on year, I've been waiting 8 months for a knee operation that has a "maximum" wait of 6 months, care for my mother-in-law is costing the family a fortune and a friend's son was killed in Iraq.

Do you think I want to see a reduction in spending? Expletive deleted!

How can underfunded services be corrected without raising taxes - problem is some people that are too tight to care about others.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Fuel is still cheap, it's the ridiculous amount of tax that is making it seem expensive. They even charge vat on the excise duty. A tax on a tax.

The government worked out how much tax they wanted from fuel and set the level at that; But now every time the petrol companies put fuel up a 1p the government get an EXTRA 2p as well. That's what i am up in arms about. That is extra to plan and greedy and punishing.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Sadie - what a wonderful life you, your family, friends and employees lead.

Educational standards drop year on year, I've been waiting 8 months for a knee operation that has a "maximum" wait of 6 months, care for my mother-in-law is costing the family a fortune and a friend's son was killed in Iraq.

Do you think I want to see a reduction in spending? Expletive deleted!

How can underfunded services be corrected without raising taxes - problem is some people that are too tight to care about others.
In case you have not noticed, your Government has ripped the **** out of us tax wise for the past ten or so years, and they have had a bumper bonanza of extra tax due to fuel increases in the past year. More tax does not guarantee your op, help for your old folk or anything else.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For many years now I have come to realise that public services in this country are not under funded, it's the obscene waste and misuse of funds that diverts cash in the wrong directions.

The Governement and Civil service being amongst the worst.

I work for a very large British organisation and I see the problem every day.

Endless rounds of managers meetings travelling by train or car, staying in expensive hotels, eating expensive food when a conference call would suffice, team building events, excess staff doing nothing productive and the excess of managers not dealing with them. Paying agency staff when existing people not fully employed, performance pay schemes making people satisfy stats rather than do what needs to be done.

My mother recently underwent minor surgery, for which I am grateful to the doctors an nurses, but why was she ferried from one hospital to another twice and during the Bristol rush hour tying up staff ambulences and wasting fuel, why was she moved into 5 different wards in 2 days having to be reassessed each time by yet another doctor and given new bed linen each time, not to mention the admin behind all those moves.

If our state services and government would cut the massive inefficiencies, cut out the ludicrous perks, and stop making handouts to any foreigner who fancies a couple of years holiday in the UK, the requirement for tax could be reduced or the money used productively to improve services.

TRENDING THREADS