Inexpensive TV for caravan use

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Apart from Avtex company which attracts consistent high reviews but very expensive to buy has anyone come across a cheaper tv that works well in a caravan. Not tinny sound etc as some reviewers have found on their purchase. It would be nice to have one whilst away to watch the olympics. Not worried about getting sky etc, just one that is easy to set up and does what its supposed to do!! Thanks in anticipation if anyone can come up with a good suggestion from experience.Thankyou

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are wanting to run it off 12 volt any TV with built in Freeserve will work. We have a Toshiba bought from Tesco but did use a Currys own brand before that without problem. Keep the packaging and use this to protect the TV when in transit. If you can fit it in the bedding or somewhere else soft it helps presrve it.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at the Kogan TV's. They are well priced and work on 12V and 240V. Low power consumption makes them ideal in caravan when on 12V. I've got a 22" model but to be honest they are super slimline and I could have had a 24" without it dominating the caravan. If they had an integrated freesat receiver they would be even better!

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at 'B' Grade stock, Maplins do alot also Comet / Currys have a clearance web site, you can save loads & the reason for 'B' grading can be as simple as it being Ex demo or the box being damaged.

As for Sky don't discount it!, I find it easier to set up than free-view & you get loads of chanels. just be sure to get a quality 60cm or bigger dish & a tripod. I have a little decoder that came from Maplins in thier portable satalite kit, [the dish was rubbish], it receives whatever the satalite sends out, we were even getting the 'Red Button' feeds direct off the satalite at Silverstone in 2010.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought one from Asda about 18 months ago. Can't recall the name but they are still in all of the stores in variuos sizes. (green, black & white box)

Mine is a 16" for about £80. It's had a bashing as a spare at home, in the 'van, taken to work to watch the Rugby World Cup. It's light, freeview, plays mp3's or memory stick and easy to tune and re-tune when we get back home

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Just an idea, and what we have done....
We took out a mobile phone contract with an independent shop, and as part of the deal, got a 17" LCD tv included. Its a samsung and its not too bad, nothing review worth mind you! Also have a power inverter thingy should we need it, but to be honest we rarely go away without hookup. Ive seen similar deals come up, and indeed the shop that we used have deals on at the moment. I generally always have a contract phone, and it worked out as nothing more each month, so quite happy!
We wrap it between pillows and quilt on the back seat when travelling.
Cheers
Rob

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Brilliant Thanks to you all for making the effort. I feel more confident now to buy now I have people's experience. Thanks again Much obliged ...buksang

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a normal Samsung and a freeview box. Just as an aside, a friend of mine who works for a large supermarket chain told me that many people dont realise that by law, all electrical appliances have a 3 year warranty, even though they state one year!
Found this info very useful.

Pat

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you are going to mount the TV up on the wall so that when you view you will be looking UP at it (some vans have a bracket for this purpose) check that the TV is viewable at this angle and that the screen does not just look dark. This does involve sitting on the floor in Currys/Comet/Tesco to check it out. This does mean some funny looks from store staff (not a problem in our local Currys they are too busy chatting/trying to avoid you). If you are going to put the TV on a surface and look straight at it, this won't be a problem.
mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Struggling but being good!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley-wink.gif

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Watson Jon G and Mel..very informative. Excellent feedback as usual Very grateful as this seems to be a mine feld with the cons being tinny sound poor picture etc etc!! Much obliged buksang

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
WatsonJohnG said:
Currys do a 19 in Tv which we use minus the 230V adapter on 12V

Hi
I would be interested to know how long you have had you TV?
I have always used a TV like yours with the mains adapter connected to an inverter when only 12 volts dc is available.
I was told a convincing argument stating such a TV requires a steady true 12 volts dc.......above or below (as could be likely in a caravan) will damage the TV causing premature failure.

It would be good to know your experience

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
buksang said:
Apart from Avtex company which attracts consistent high reviews but very expensive to buy has anyone come across a cheaper tv that works well in a caravan. Not tinny sound etc as some reviewers have found on their purchase. It would be nice to have one whilst away to watch the olympics. Not worried about getting sky etc, just one that is easy to set up and does what its supposed to do!! Thanks in anticipation if anyone can come up with a good suggestion from experience.Thankyou

I found the 15" Avtex sound tinny, and the screen to small for our Valencia, tested it for a year, but now it lives in the kitchen.
Replaced it with a 20" sony, but to be honest a 22" would be better.
I would see the Aldi/lidl offers, seen one today that's cheap around £100 with a 3 year guarantee.
Found it in the deleted box
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_25497.htm?WT.mc_id=2012-07-09-16-50

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
WatsonJohnG said:
Currys do a 19 in Tv which we use minus the 230V adapter on 12V

Hi
I would be interested to know how long you have had you TV?
I have always used a TV like yours with the mains adapter connected to an inverter when only 12 volts dc is available.
I was told a convincing argument stating such a TV requires a steady true 12 volts dc.......above or below (as could be likely in a caravan) will damage the TV causing premature failure.

It would be good to know your experience

We have had a Manhattan for 7+ years used exclusively on 12V
We bought it from Leisure Power who provided a 12V lead
We have also had the Avtex for 3 years used only on 12V and the Currys Logic was bought a year ago because the Avtex was too thick to fit into the Swift TV aperture and its only been used on 12V
Modern caravan power pack/transformers should prove no problem
I make sure that the 12Vcable to the TV socket is not too thin

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The Avtex comes with a plug to go straight into the caravan 12v socket, so it will take a variable voltage.

Mine also has a plug for 240 volt.

When i did use the Avtex we always used the 12 volt plug, using the 240 v socket for the Humax

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
We tried curry and comets own, no good. Looked at others too no good on viewing angle.

bought a Toshiba 19" for kitchen and its ok. sound not bad and viewing angle good.

Worth a look at.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
smiley said:
We tried curry and comets own, no good. Looked at others too no good on viewing angle.

bought a Toshiba 19" for kitchen and its ok. sound not bad and viewing angle good.

Worth a look at.
There is only one word to describe the Currys 19in Logic picture in situ in the caravan and that is SUPERB
Its every bit as good---no its better than the Avtex which we have at the front end of the caravan

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
graham_somersham said:
Take a look at the Kogan TV's. They are well priced and work on 12V and 240V. Low power consumption makes them ideal in caravan when on 12V. I've got a 22" model but to be honest they are super slimline and I could have had a 24" without it dominating the caravan. If they had an integrated freesat receiver they would be even better!

We are looking for a tv for the caravan but must be ok on 12 volt as do alot of CLS.Kogan tvs look good and right price,only problem i can see is the 12volt leed with it is not a stabilised one .Have you had any problems with the 12volt side as most tvs need a steady 12 volt supply unless a deicated 12 volt tv .Some can fluctuate as batterys discharge or are fully charged.But do look a nice tv.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
As I have never taken the 12V cable supplied by Kogan apart I cant tell if it has any voltage satbilisation in it but I am guessing it may have or that there is something in the TV based on the fact that the 240V supply is via a transformer outputting 12V. I have probably used the TV on 12V for about 100 days since I have had it with some of the time having 80W PV panel connected via a regulator. Rest of the time has been on mains and powered via Kogans manins adaptor. Never had any problems with the TV on either 12V or 240V. I have an old Avtex 12V adaptor that I could use if I felt the need but so far not done so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts