Information we need to answer a technical enquiry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite often when a technical question is posted, we often have to ask the poster for more often quite basic information, such as product, make, model and year. Also we are seeing more international correspondence, it would be helpful to know the posters country, as any advice might need to be revised to suit local circumstances.

Could the process of starting a new technical thread include a proforma that specifically requests these details?

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Asking someone to input details of their outfit and location would probably make them look elsewhere. Does that mean to current subscribers that they will need to complete these details before being allowed to post.

Although the suggestion probably makes sense in one way it would be impractical to implement on a forum. Also just as easy to ask questions if unsure.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a problem that also affects car forums - often because the OP's lack of tehnical knowledge is the very reason they're asking the question in the first place.

Rather than answer the question with all manner of caveats to cover all possibilities, it's best to simply ask for details like the make/model/year of the car/caravan and then answer the question when the OP provides the extra information.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a problem that also affects car forums - often because the OP's lack of tehnical knowledge is the very reason they're asking the question in the first place.

Rather than answer the question with all manner of caveats to cover all possibilities, it's best to simply ask for details like the make/model/year of the car/caravan and then answer the question when the OP provides the extra information.
By far the best approach, I sometimes ask for general details of the outfit when they first post in New Members. But for a more definitive set of details it’s dead easy to ask when their first technical post is posted.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think it would be good if members could be encouraged to include their outfit and location in their signature when joining.

John

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting idea as many problems do need more information. Even when a post tries to be helpful many people fail to notice that say a Sprite needs to be clarified further with a year and probably the model within the range or put a post in a makers section when it is a problem with a bought in component which is common to other caravan makes and could be missed by those with those other makes.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting idea as many problems do need more information. Even when a post tries to be helpful many people fail to notice that say a Sprite needs to be clarified further with a year and probably the model within the range or put a post in a makers section when it is a problem with a bought in component which is common to other caravan makes and could be missed by those with those other makes.
Many people are reluctant to pass on details of their units, location etc especially if they are a first time poster. I know i would move onto another forum that appears to be more friendly.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many people are reluctant to pass on details of their units, location etc especially if they are a first time poster. I know i would move onto another forum that appears to be more friendly.
I agree that most people don't want to "write their autobiography" just to get into the forum

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Quite often when a technical question is posted, we often have to ask the poster for more often quite basic information, such as product, make, model and year. Also we are seeing more international correspondence, it would be helpful to know the posters country, as any advice might need to be revised to suit local circumstances.

Could the process of starting a new technical thread include a proforma that specifically requests these details?
I think it would be good if members could be encouraged to include their outfit and location in their signature when joining.

John
Members can add as much or as little information that they feel comfortable with when joining.
Moderators are able to see the country that any query is posted from and will intervene if necessary.
If you answer a technical query it's a simple matter to ask for relevant information.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The main issue is that many do not give the full model name - e.g. a Bailey Unicorn has five (or is it seven?) variants all with different names - Seville, Vigo, Cadiz, Madrid, etc. All are slightly different especially in terms of electricals so the full data including version and year (e.g. Bailey Unicorn Seville S5 2023) is mandatory if you want <real> help.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Asking someone to input details of their outfit and location would probably make them look elsewhere. Does that mean to current subscribers that they will need to complete these details before being allowed to post.

Although the suggestion probably makes sense in one way it would be impractical to implement on a forum. Also just as easy to ask questions if unsure.
I suggested a proforma because it might remind or alert posters to sparsity of information they might otherwise been inclined to post. I did not intend or suggest it should be a requirement to complete the proforma before a post would be listed. My thought was when starting a technical a post the first page might be a guide the user to ensuring the important details would be included.

And I specifically did not use the word location becasue that can be misconstrued to mean an identifiable address. That is why I deliberately suggested the "country". That is a unitary level that may define aspects legislation or regulations than might be different to other countries. I would be very surprised if any user would be concerned at identifying the country they live in.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When answering to someone's question, fully read it, and then read it again.
So that you are sure of the question.
During exams I was always taught. RTFQ. Read The Full Question. Or something similar. !!! And don't make excuses for NOT doing that.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It does sometimes surprise me just how little people know about how things work/are operated. I recall one post I think on another forum, which said "My toilet doesnt work, anyone know why"? Tempting to respond "Sorry my crystal ball is in for its annual service"

A (sad) sign of the times I suppose. When I went to school we did such things as Physics and wood/metalwork, so at least we had half an idea how things work/were put together.
Nowadays if it doesn't work using an app then people are lost!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I was at school we were taught how to wire a 3 pin plug and change the fuse, How to read the Yellow fire hydrant H sign. Distance and depth from the post. .
When my Father in Law passed away, I got his Readers Digest Home repair manual. 1973 edition , Almost everything in the house and garden. How to clean a CH boiler, to replacing a gutter.
17034391859128068009030620669261.jpg

Attachments

• 1703439132330562173231268892046.jpg
    1703439132330562173231268892046.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 2
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Replacing a gutter!! Are you mad man?

But surely not before you have carries out a full "Risk Assessment" probably along with a bat survey, and a mitigation strategy in case some of the contents of the gutter are toxic, or contain some insignificant life form

Bet there was no such thing as risk assessment when the book was written, back then it was called "Basic common sense"

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were given two Readers Digest manual when we got married. Gardening and DIY. Had the gardening one until we moved house in 2019 when it went to charity. Surprising how the temperature isoclines had changed in 50+ years. Global warming?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I was at school we were taught how to wire a 3 pin plug and change the fuse, How to read the Yellow fire hydrant H sign. Distance and depth from the post. .
When my Father in Law passed away, I got his Readers Digest Home repair manual. 1973 edition , Almost everything in the house and garden. How to clean a CH boiler, to replacing a gutter.
View attachment 6010
My dad got that same manual. I had it when he died. So well written. I either gave it to a charity, or it is still in the loft.

YouTube works now.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dealers could help considerably by giving their caravan buying customers a copy of John Wickersham’s immortal Caravan Workshop Manual

Attachments

• IMG_6081.jpeg
    IMG_6081.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 2
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK here goes. Knaus 450 FU 2019 Aussie in Slovakia. I was planning on getting a front tow ball on my Sorento but difficult because this is illegal here. So I am putting money aside to get a mover. I have read recent post about mover and reverse release handbrake. One of my regular uses is to reverse down a short steep 2 metre ramp into my narrow garage door. Quite difficult reversing in as it is a sharp turn from the street going past the storeroom.
What is the issue with the mover and reverse release handbrake? I was expecting to leave the handbrake off when using the mover. Won’t the mover motors hold the wheels while reversing down the ramp, or do they release/freewheel?
I want to reverse in to get the back up against the rear wall, the door on the right side, and be positioned to tow out forward.
This question should have been posted in technical section, as it's not a forum issue or feedback.

TRENDING THREADS