Inspire me ...

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Starting to think about summer 2019 holidays - I like to book early as have to go in kids' summer holidays, will be researching now and booking in September probably.
This year we're getting the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, then driving down for a week in the Rhine valley just south of Koblenz. Then back for a week on the Dutch coast between the Hague and Amsterdam.
We'd like to go somewhere new in Europe next year. Been to France plenty of times over the previous few years so don't want to go there this time. Needs to have plenty of outdoor activities for both us and two kids (8 and 4), a nice town or two to explore also wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to spend the whole holiday towing so no more than say a full day's drive the other side of a ferry or tunnel. Don't want it to be really hot so Spain is probably out in August.
Was thinking of either Switzerland, by a lake in the mountains somewhere, or going north to Denmark and possibly even crossing over to Sweden depending on driving time. Mrs Tuffty's always wanted to go to the Black Forest in Germany too. Anyone any experience or recommendations of camping in any of these? Anywhere I'm overlooking?

Many thanks!

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Good morning Tuffty,

For Denmark I would use Camping Holbæk Fjord which is about 30 mins from Copenhagen. Child friendly, swimming pool on site and lots to see and do.

I normally have an overnight stop when travelling from the Hoek and use Camping Mitte at Medelby http://www.camping-mitte.de/de/startseite.htm . The owner Hans also speaks very good English.

Another area you may wish to consider is what the locals call Swiss Saxony arround Dresden. Here I use Camping Luxoase. Again an overnight stop en-route at Knaus Camping Eschwege.

In the Balck Forest, Bad Liebenzell or Kirchzarten are also places to consider.

Hope this assists.

Firkle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d echo Swiss Saxony a beautiful area with Dresden close by. The Hartz mountains are worth a stopover and if you are interested in WW2 sites go to Mittlebau Dora, underground V2 factory. . Quedlinburg absolutely beautiful medieval town untouched by war.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You could do far worse than take a look at the Salzkammergut region of Austria. There is an awful lot to do and see, plus the mountains and lakes side by side. In July and August the lakes are incredibly warm to swim in and its one of the most beautiful areas of Europe. The lake I would particularly recommend is Woflgangsee staying in either Sankt Gilgen, Sankt Wolfgang or Strobl. That lake in particular has quite a few touring campsites around its edge and I would have to say is the most scenic of the group.

The cable cars up Dachstein, google "the stairway to nothing" and the "five fingers of Dachstein", all easily accessible. Salt mines, ice caves, boat trips, Salzburg, Hallstat is stunning. Schaffberg Mountain Railway. Grossglockner drive, Hohenwerfen castle (where eagles dare) Hohensalzburg Castle, one of the largest in Europe, the list is endless, far too much for one holiday. Of course, you cannot miss the trip up to the Kehlsteinhaus, Hitlers Mountain retreat.

If you do go down that way, take the opportunity to stopover near Rothenburg 0b der Tauber, the town has to be seen to be believed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tuffty, Switzerland is Incredibly, expensive, food Beer etc, it is wonderful, And you would need motorway vignets for both car and caravan. Last year €40 each.

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
Stay in the Netherlands . Lovely coast all along from The Hague going up the coast . Very child friendly sites and safe cycling everywhere .
Also not too far from the ferry when returning home .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We done Holland last year , stopped around the Delft area , like another post says it's great and safe for cycling , nice and flat, it is a touch on the expensive side though .The site that we stopped on had big pitches and then a 5 minute walk around the park brought you to a big Lake which was great where the kids can just play and go in the water.
https://s19.postimg.cc/bfxx3gnj7/20170717_194404.jpg[/img]

Delftse Hout

Korftlaan 5, 2616 LJ Delft, Netherlands
+31 15 213 0040 https://g.co/kgs/pRquCh

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all.

We're booked in to Delftse Hout after the ferry crossing this summer, to break up the trip down to the Rhine valley. Then later staying at a place called Koningshof a little further north before we return to the UK. Good to know that Delftse Hout is as good as it looked online!

I accidentally strayed into Switzerland a few years ago on a motorbike tour of the Alps, and before I knew what was happening had bought a vignette, two extremely overpriced tanks of petrol and a ludicrously expensive ham baguette for lunch so am all too aware of the cost penalty! Luckily the views of Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc made up for it though.

Austria is definitely on the list, probably a little too far for next year though I reckon. Having looked at the Stairway to Nothing I reckon I'll invent a job to do on the van whilst the family go up there - not a great fan of heights!

Great thoughts on Denmark and Swiss Saxony thanks. I reckon Denmark is slightly in the lead at the moment as it would be a completely new country for me which is always good, and Hobaek Fjord looks like a great place.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you booked into the site i was ? As there is a certain way you have to come in as if you go the other way , there is risk off losing the bottom off your car ?!

It's a kind of an inverted speed bump with a hole in the ground with things sticking up ! Avoid ! You need to come in past the Ikea if you're stopping on the same site.
Craig .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
It's a doddle driving on the other side once you get used to it . I'd prefer to drive abroad than drive over here! So is it that site your stopping on ?, because if it is the service pitches are tiny , I emailed them for a quiet sunny grass pitch and it was massive !!

Enjoy

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is that site, I've got a standard pitch with electric but it's only for 1 night as a stopover on the way to Germany, won't even bother putting the awning up so not too worried about size. We're at Koningshof for 6 nights and have a "super pitch" there so hopefully that'll be bigger!

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
I forgot to mention if you are visiting Legoland at Billund it is about a 140 mile drive from Holbaek Fjord. An alternative might be to have a 2 centre visit staying at Hvide Sande on the west coast of Jutland. Dencamps Nordso ( ACSI 76) is a good site even though it is only 3 star.

Whilst at Koningshof don't forget to visit Madurodam in Den Haag or slightly further away, but worth the journey, Efteling at Kaatsheuvel near Tilburg.

The Dolfinarium at Harderwijk is another possibility for the children and one for yourself is Aviodrome, the National Aircraft Museum at Lelystadt airport. Beware that one is closed on Mondays.

Also near to Lelystadt is Batavia outlet village https://www.bataviastad.nl/en/
I have trouble extracting my wife from that one when we visit.

If visiting Austria don't forget to buy your motorway Vignette at or before the border. You'll get an instant 150Euro fine if you are stopped without one.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're thinking of Switzerland you must, must, must visit the Jungfrau region (south of Interlaken) which is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places in the world. When we visited (June 2016) it was also less expensive than Lake Geneva (where we also visited) although it's possible that some of the prices vary seasonally.

There's a few sites in the area but we stayed at Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen which was fabulous.

There's an article in (I think) the January 2017 issue of the magazine if you can get hold of a copy!

May 12, 2014
Visit site
SamandRose said:
If you're thinking of Switzerland you must, must, must visit the Jungfrau region (south of Interlaken) which is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places in the world. When we visited (June 2016) it was also less expensive than Lake Geneva (where we also visited) although it's possible that some of the prices vary seasonally.

There's a few sites in the area but we stayed at Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen which was fabulous.

There's an article in (I think) the January 2017 issue of the magazine if you can get hold of a copy!

Thanks, that all looked fantastic so we're booked to stay at Lazy Rancho on the northern edge of Jungfrau for 12 nights. Can't wait!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
tuffty said:
SamandRose said:

Thanks, that all looked fantastic so we're booked to stay at Lazy Rancho on the northern edge of Jungfrau for 12 nights. Can't wait!

Book your hospital appointment , as it cost an Arm and a leg, but lovely. Sam and Rose' trip is well worth a read. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts