Installing new TV and electric points in my caravan

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I’m not sure on what the original TV antenna arrangements on this van were, but the current setup is a couple of pole clamps on one of the front corners. The aerial socket installation looked a bit DIY, so not sure what the factory arrangements are / were. Underneath the seats was the feed from the antenna socket which was plugged into an extension lead, which presumably feeds the TV point in the kitchen. The thing is I absolutely do not want my TV there. From the moment I viewed the caravan, I thought I’d have to do something about that. I want as much work space as possible in the kitchen and don’t want to be worrying about electrics if I want to wash down the work top.

I spent a couple of hours At the storage today setting up my new sockets. I have used the CBE system, and I’m very impressed at the variety of modules available for them. So currently I have added a 12V with TV and sat module, along with two extra 12V. Will also be adding a 13 amp spur. I am going to sit my TV on top of the drawer unit. This might not be the best setup if it was a family van, of course the TV and anything will have to be disconnected and removed if the sofa bed is to be used, but as it will just be me and my dog most of the time, this seems to be most accessible and easy option.
It might seem like I’ve gone OTT with the 12V setup, but there’ll be TV, possibly Freesat box if no terrestrial signal, and a spare for plugging in laptop / phone charger or even my CB radio. I have taken a direct feed from the battery, with a 33 amp rated cable. Fused, of course. One of the modules is a fuse box which distributes to the 12V sockets.

and yes , I’ve checked that the bed can still roll out and that the bottom cupboard doors don’t foul the sockets!
The hole at the end is awaiting a 13 amp module. I may well replace the blanking plate with a battery tester.

Attachments

• D3C272DD-B6FA-4F8F-A20E-B7B31BFB06ED.jpeg
    D3C272DD-B6FA-4F8F-A20E-B7B31BFB06ED.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 26
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The only comment I would add is to replace the Belling-Lee (i.e. ordinary) TV aerial socket with another F-type like the one marked 'Sat'. You will find the connector on the rear of both is F-type and they are both more secure and make/maintain a better contact. You will have to make up a tail for the TV with an F-type plug on one end and a Belling-Lee TV plug on the other.
As you have given no idea of the age of the caravan I would suggest that you check any existing aerial wiring and if it does not have a copper foil around the centre core insulation and underneath the braid (note, copper NOT aluminium foil) then replace it. The older cables that have a braid that is a joke can and will pick up signal directly if you are near a transmitter and body movement within the caravan will cause pixelation or picture failure. Something such as WF100 from Screwfix or Toolstation will do (WF is an example - the letters vary except avoid CT100 which often has the aluminium foil.) It comes in 25m lengths and sometimes 50m, but buy at least the 25m - you can never have too much! Also buy Belling-Lee and F-type connectors in packs of 10: in most instances you will pay less for 10 from Tlstn or Sfx than you will pay for two in a caravan dealer's shop! This cable is suitable for both TV and satellite signals.

Finally, if your aerial (assuming one is fitted) such as a Grade or Vision Plus (same company) has writing on the case take note: purple or blue lettering means the aerial amp is inside the aerial case - the box inside is just a power supply; if the writing is red or orange the inside box contains both the amp and the power supply. Ergo the inside boxes are not interchangeable. If you have red/orange then consider replacing the amp box. If the aerial is a flying saucer then the only option is the VP2 or VP3 as the aerial is non-directional, but if it is the steerable type then VP4 or VP5 are better as they have a signal strength indicator which makes directing the aerial much easier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unless you are going off grid a lot there is no need for a 12v TV as it will drain your battery within 3 hours which in turn means that you need a solar panel and controller. Our 28" TV sits on top of the front chest of drawers. The chest of drawers is easily removal and you can run cabling out of sight behind them.
I assume that a caravan of that age will normally have the flying saucer type of Status aerial. BTW if you have Sky TV at home you will be able to use it in the caravan using a stand alone satellite dish.
Woodentop gives very sound advice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I plan to use a solar panel and controller and possibly a generator for short periods when other folks are out for the day.
Remember that fuel is very expensive so running a generator could work out expensive however a dual fuel gas or unleaded may be an option. A solar panel needs lots of sunshine to be effective so generally off grid only in the summer months when the sun is shining. MPPT controller is best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts