Insurance advice

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Insurance is due for renewal in a couple of days.

I am currently with X&X but am looking to change after reading other posts

Tried NFU but as I site the van near a river, they will not cover me for flooding.

Any other companies to try ?

Thanks

tel

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

Try the CC insurance I reserched most of the others and found them to be the best. They are not the cheapest, but they do offer superb cover.

Regards

Terry

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We're also with X&X and due for renewal. Renewal price was high, even higher than if you go on ther site and request a quote???? So have scouted about and found Adrian Flux - quote was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
May I suggest you ring a broker to get quote. They are often able to select a better policy at the same cost or the same type of policy for less expence.

Adrian Flux is an excellent example - I use them for my own car insurance.

As someone who works in this area - I strongly advise NOT to use a company that advertises via leaflets in magazines.

Good Third Parties like the CC and the C&CC will select a good provider for their members. A Broker will recommend a good provider for his clients.

A provider that gets clients via a leaflet drop has to get business this way because nobody would recommend them!

Good to hear Adrian Flux did a good job for Anita.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My son insures his Astra Van with Adrian Flux. It's OK as long as you pay the premium in full first, however if you choose to pay monthly, the extra is quite steep!!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to edit out the name of the insurance company on two threads above. Some time ago the company in question threatened legal action if its name was mentioned on this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right Wendy

I have just looked at my last renewal and the APR (Annual Percentage Rate is 34.70%

That is bl**dy outrageous. I always pay mine in full as the amount is so small and so didn't notice.

May I suggest that if the quote is good then your son may be better off going to his bank and showing them the figures. I suspect the bank will allow him an overdraft at a couple of percent above base or so for a year.

Even a personal loan would be at a rate of circa 1/3rd of what is being charged here.

Thanks for drawing it to my attention.

One other thing to note is the use of 0870 numbers - these are COSTLY! and discounts given by your service provider do not apply.

Try www.saynoto0870.co.uk to get an alternative cheaper or even nil cost number.

This website (by default) also provides a superb Commercial Directory Enquiries facility - just put in the company name and up come ALL the Dept.'s and numbers. It has saved us time and money.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Clive

My son has decided not to renew his Insurance with Adrain Flux when it's due in Feb next year, as he's now 25 I should imagine insurance will be cheaper for him anyway.

Oh and just another thing that may be of interest, they also charged him

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael - you have not given a clue as to your age, however, without insulting you, should you be over the age of 50 I think you will find SAGA very helpful. I have been with them for a few years and find them a very good company to deal with, with very helpful staff. If you should fall into the age group why not give them a try. Good luck

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
the insurance company who we can't mention as it threatened legal action if its name was mentioned on this forum has responded back to my query RE - higher renewal premium -

"With regards to your recent email, the premiums on our web site and leaflets are our new business rates. They offer a lower level of cover than what existing clients have with us."

??? NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY ????? now where have I heard that before

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It does state in Adrian Flux terms of business that -

Arranging new policies

Mid term adjustments

Renewals

Processing cheques which are returned as uncleared

are all charged at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right to be cynical and suspicious Anita. However, there are good firms out there tha give a good service via a well designed scheme. However, they to are cynical and suspicious about some claims as people are not above making false claims.

I friend of ours openly admitted to "droping" a tin of paint on their carpet (only 4 years old) as it no longer matched their new curtains. The company that cannot be mentioned refused a claim for Vets fees on a horse where we used to keep ours as there was no documentation. The owner approached me to ask what to do and openly admitted that it was a spurious claim!

So you can see why they get suspicious. There was a guy on this Forum who damaged his 'van then was complaining because his insurance company would not pay out for a full repair over six months later when, presumably, the damage turned out to more than a scratch!

Be prompt, document everything, keep copies, put everything in writing - DO NOT RELY ON TELEPHONE CALLS - and get witnesses!

Finally my favourite true story (again) - A lad on holiday in Spain was injurred when a large firework in a "cannon" took part of his foot off. The Spanish Doctors (who are generally truly excellent) sowed it back on.

This lad had Accident and Sickness Policy (Of the type that the CAB have just put in a "Super Complaint" to the FOS) that he then tried to claim on.

The initial responce was that it would only pay out if he had lost part of hos limb. The fact that the medics stitched it back on meant that they tried to wriggle out of the claim!

The Financialy week companies will resist every claim regardless of its validity. A Financially strong company with a good reputation and good claims paying history will treat your claim fairly.

If you buy "off the page" or from a leaflet Caveat Emptor applies. If you take professional advice then no adviser wants to be sitting in front of a client trying to explain why the company he or she recommended is trying to dismiss a perfectly valid claim.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Never made a claim against caravan insurance in over 19 years of caravanning, so it's the same old story - you end up paying for everyone elses mistakes. Do you actually earn no claims bonus on caravan insurance?

Also what about european breakdown - a few years ago we were unfortunate to have an alternator problem whilst travelling home from France. We managed to make it to the services and called Green Flag who we were insured with. To be told that they couldn't rescue us in the services and that we had to go back on to the toll road and call from a rescue box and then they'd come and tow us into the nearest services. Luckily enough we were travelling with another family and managed to make it back to Calais by swopping batteries.

I know now it's something to do with the franchise of the services but I can't remember reading in Green Flags small print that 'before we can come to your rescue you should endanger yourself and your family'.

See small print - gets you ever time!

Not whinging really but you live and learn.

Oh and when we finaly got to Calais the ferries were on strike and travel insurance didn't cover that either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes - the problem is that both Assurance and Insurance (Assurance is where you protect against something that will happen - i.e. death - hence Life assurance, whereas Insurance is protecting yourself against something that may happen - i.e. theft or an accident) are a kind of lottery.

If you "win" you get a pay out (or your loved ones do, or possibly your employer with assurance) but you have to have "lost" something first.

This works well as long as the actuary can work out the probability of the event happening - we all end up paying reasonable premiums for the risk. It all goes pear shaped when more payouts are made than predicted.

Actuaries are very strange people - I think it is because the have to work out when we are all going to die (on average anyway) Not the sort of thing you chat about over dinner is it?

Best description I heard of Actuaries is that they have personalities such that they can light up a room just by leaving it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes - the problem is that both Assurance and Insurance (Assurance is where you protect against something that will happen - i.e. death - hence Life assurance, whereas Insurance is protecting yourself against something that may happen - i.e. theft or an accident) are a kind of lottery.

If you "win" you get a pay out (or your loved ones do, or possibly your employer with assurance) but you have to have "lost" something first.

This works well as long as the actuary can work out the probability of the event happening - we all end up paying reasonable premiums for the risk. It all goes pear shaped when more payouts are made than predicted.

Actuaries are very strange people - I think it is because the have to work out when we are all going to die (on average anyway) Not the sort of thing you chat about over dinner is it?

Best description I heard of Actuaries is that they have personalities such that they can light up a room just by leaving it.
Hello CliveV,

I'm tilting at windmills again - The insurance world claims to assess risk based on probabilities. well we ll know its wrong to generalise but -

In general we are all likely to be involved in some kind of accident at some time, Thus the longer you go without an accident, the greater the probability is that you soon will have one, thus insurance premiums should start low and increase with age, AND when you have to make a claim then you have exceeded your general probability and so the premium should go lower

We live in a topsy turvy world don't we!

PS my premiuim on that basis should be sky higy by now - well it is but not for that reason - mostly we end up paying for all the non the insured.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site

According to Concise Oxford dictionary...assurance..compact securing value of property in the EVENT OF IT BEING LOST, or payment of a specified sum on a person's death. (my capitals). So, assurance and insurance are interchangeable. They both come from the same source "to make safe" in different languages.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not quite in the Saga club yet !! I'm 38, but thanks for all the advice, got fixed up through Adrian Flux who ended up being cheaper than *&*.

Thanks a lot
Sorry to have caused you to age considerably within a short space of time. I only wish I was your age but know what I know now. Good luck and hopefully you will find a reputable company offering a good cover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts