Insurance - German Caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm just getting quotes to insure a new Dethleffs DL540. On contacting one of the main insurers (Tourer Select)I was told "Sorry, we don't insure against theft as being German it may get stolen!". Am I missing the point or what is the objective of having insurance?, and is this normal when trying to insure a UK spec. German caravan?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
it seems there are fewer and fewer insurance companies that are willing to touch anything imported into this country by private buyers. it is now practically impossable to import a car from europe without going via one of the import firms (and letting them have their pound of flesh). i wonder if this is now happing for caravan buyers, wishing to import their own van from inside the eu. of course all this helps to protect 'rip off britian'. if the eu wants to win a hearts and minds then they should stamp out this practice. a practice which is indirectly perventing the movement of goods in europe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on our 2nd personal imported German/french van.

We had similar experience with an insurance Co.

I have often wondered what the EU Commission would make of this as it appears to effect the free movement of goods which, is illegal under European Law.

We are now with the Caravan Club who are excellent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
German vans are very popular with travellers and the like.If they take a fancy to your van its as good as gone! Angle grinders and oxy acetylene burners are the tools of choice-they cut gates off the hinges and will drag your van thru fields to get it.That is why you were told that they are likely to get nicked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts