Insurance nightmare!!

Apr 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi, i've read a lot of good advice on this forum and you lot sound very knowlegable so i thought i'd run this by you to see if you can offer an opinion as i am so angry!!

We had to have the whole of one side of our caravan replaced after a bad accident. Our ins company dealt with it for us after we got the quotes. We picked up the repaired caravan Feb of last year. it looked ok so we didn't give it another thought.We put the caravan away in winter storage early last year (end Aug) as we were moving house.

At Easter this year we went to get the caravan to do the usual cleaning etc etc before its first use and we found that the repaired side was all cracking vertically and bulging.

So, we contacted our insurance company - and they said it was nothing to do with them as the repair was only guaranteed for ONE YEAR!

We were never told this at the time by the repairers or the insurance company or we would have queried why it would only have been guaranteed for such a short timespan as it wasn't a repair as such but a replacement.

We have told the insurance company that we would never have agreed to ANY kind of "temporary" repair being paid out in relation to our insurance!!They say they won't pay out to have it repaired again as it is now classed as "wear and tear"!!!

We are really worried that our caravan will continue to deteriorate further and quickly given that its only been out for one winter since.

Anyone know anything that could help us? i really begin to wonder whats the point of insuring it at all. I'm so so annoyed. Don't know what to do next....

Thanks in advance

Sharon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sharon

Personally I'd contact trading standards as you should have some redress through the sales of goods act which covers services as well and products. The onus is on the provider to prove if as they claim the problem was due to wear and tear which lets face it, you've got to question the workmanship if it 'wears out' after 14 month.

In this case you need to know who did the repairs and contact them as your claim may need to be against them, it may be that the insurance company are not actually responsible for the work carried out and the 12 months guarantee is just a good will gesture; remember this does not mean you don't have a claim against the company who carried out the repairs, though I would have thought the insurance company would have told you this.

I any case, I'd contact trading standards, their in the best position to tell you were you stand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sharon

I agree with all that Mathew says. However, did your insurance company arrange for the repair or did you select the repairer?

Often these days an insurance company will say that "they will take over the whole problem, repair your car/caravan and return it to you.

If they did this then as Mathew says you can claim against the insurance company and their selected repairer as the repair is not "fit for purpose".

If you selected the repairer and the Insurance Company just paid the bill, then you need to take action against the repairer.

Have the caravan assessed by an independent expert and get a report on exactly what the problem is. Take advice from Trading standards and write a letter to the insurer and/repairer stating that you are not satisfied and that unless you receive a satisfactory response you intend to take them to the small claims court.

Some companies will repair a fault without you having to take such action - these are the ones that do not have to advertise as word of mouth works for them (we like to think we are in that category!) Yesterday I was with a client and after the meeting he was showing me his new Triumph Tiger M/C. (Stunning!)

He stores it in a large wooden double garage he bought about 4 years ago. The roof started leaking this winter. He rang up the company and told them. The sent some guys round and replaced the roof but this time adding a complete felt backing under the felt roof tiles. They now do this as standard apparently.

My client was so pleased he told me all about it and how pleased he was with the company. So I have their name filed if ever I, my friends or family need them.

So have you gone back to the repairer?

Apr 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, Matthew and Clive for your advice, it makes sense.

Yes, we have written formally to the Caravan repairers (who incidentally the insurance company chose from the quotes we submitted)and have sent photos of the fault. We are waiting to hear from them formally - however i did speak with them on the phone to start off with and they just told me the repair was only valid for a year.

It's not a case off us dropping the caravan by for an inspection with them either because we have moved to South Wales from Scotland so its not possible(timewise) for us to take it back there. we have suggested in the letter that they could allow a local caravan repairer to inspect it on their behalf?

seems a good earner for someone - we pay out an insurance premium, they pay to have a short term repair done then its tough luck once the 'temporary' repair wears out.

Are all caravan repairs only guaranteed for one year? this cost our insurance over 1K, seems a bit much to pay for such a short guarantee.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sharon

Sorry did not make myself clear - I suggest you have your caravan checked by an independent third party. Then using this report (which will presumably show/detail the poor repair) write again to the original repairer stating that a repair should last the life of the caravan - not start falling apart after a year.

Trading Standards should also be given a copy of the report. If the report is damning re the repair, then the Small Claims Court should find in your favour.

Hi there sorry to here of your trouble. But the best way to deal with this is to tell your Insurance company that you are now going to contact the Insurance Company Omnibus.Then send them copies of every letter you send to them. A pal of mine done this over a problem with car and within 1 week it was all sorted out.

from Stan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stan - please do not be offended but the people who will oversee a complaint if you cannot get satisfaction after complaining is the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts