Insurance question

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
In caravan insurance terms does anyone know the definitions of “Equipment” and “Contents”? These are 2 separate sums insured in addition to the value of the van.

My initial thoughts were that contents are what we bring to the van for a holiday (clothes, food, phones, money etc), and everything else that stays with the van is equipment. But maybe I’m wrong? Would items such as the tv, bbq, kettle, Camping chairs, satellite set, bedding, my electric shaver be considered as contents even though they stay in the van all the time?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
glenno said:
In caravan insurance terms does anyone know the definitions of “Equipment” and “Contents”? These are 2 separate sums insured in addition to the value of the van.

My initial thoughts were that contents are what we bring to the van for a holiday (clothes, food, phones, money etc), and everything else that stays with the van is equipment. But maybe I’m wrong? Would items such as the tv, bbq, kettle, Camping chairs, satellite set, bedding, my electric shaver be considered as contents even though they stay in the van all the time?

Generally agree with your definition, but it is best to look at each insurers definition. The two main clubs are very good with their web based information and are always helpful when you phone them. That way you can precisely tailor your policy to your needs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When I renewed with camc they said if you lifted up caravan and tipped it over everything that falls out is contents,everything left in is equipment. :silly:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The two should be defined in your policy so you should read this and if you are not clear then ask the insure as it may vary from company to company. The terms are ambiguous unless defined so the insurer needs to make what is what clear.
Having dealt with claims we regarded as everything that was part and parcel of using the caravan as equipment, so this would include a motormover which is attached, the gas bottles which are fastened in and the water carrier which is not but which would still be only used with the caravan.
Contents would be things that could be used elsewhere like pans, crockery and electrical items.
Things brought from home would be personal effects and would normally be things like bedding and clothes but would also include TV's and now tablets, mobile phones and the like.
Different companies may interpret these things differently so make sure how your insurer regards them although there may still be some doubt about some things so if in doubt check but read the definitions first.
We did in fact charge the same rate for both so allowed some latitude but if the charge is different then caution might be advisable3.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I checked with our house insurance (Direct Line) and there's a sum of contents insured under our household policy... though that value is different depending on whether we're in the UK or abroad. Unfortunately I didn't make a note as it all made perfect sense on the phone!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Glenno,
It doesn;t matter what anyone on this forum says,your questions should be directed to the insurance company you are considering.
j

There have been a number of posts that have recommended actually talking to the proposed insurance companies. Including one from a member who spent his career in insurance. So hopefully the OP has now hoisted it in.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
bertieboy1 said:
Glenno,
It doesn;t matter what anyone on this forum says,your questions should be directed to the insurance company you are considering.
j

There have been a number of posts that have recommended actually talking to the proposed insurance companies. Including one from a member who spent his career in insurance. So hopefully the OP has now hoisted it in.

Fully agree Clive and Ray.
The CMHC policy specifically explains the difference.
As you say if in doubt ask the Insurer

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are town types of contents insurance for a caravan in addition to the equipment. Stuff like TVs, caravan kettles, cutlery, pots and pans etc which stay in the caravan permanently is under contents. Personal stuff like clothes, laptop etc are under personal contents and are generally covered by home insurance.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
There are town types of contents insurance for a caravan in addition to the equipment. Stuff like TVs, caravan kettles, cutlery, pots and pans etc which stay in the caravan permanently is under contents. Personal stuff like clothes, laptop etc are under personal contents and are generally covered by home insurance.
Buck man
I have to disagree with you unless your own caravan policy says so?
The Club insurance is very specific in its definitions of contents and equipment. Household insurance doesn’t come into it. However every policy is different so it is only right for each person to carefully check their own wording

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Having just gone through a claim with the cc insurance

Contents = clothes TVs pots pans etc

Associated equipment = all the stuff used with the van ie awnings wastemaster movers ,cables ,locks etc and anything fitted to the van in our case mover and sat dome

Other insurers may have other definitions

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have copied the wordings from the C&CC policy which is different to my original post but will vary between insurers. Basically it reads as fixed items like most motor movers are part of the caravan but everything else is either contents or personal effects. Do however check the wording of your policy if the cover is with a different insurer.
Most household contents policies will have cover for items temporarily removed from the home, but again check the wording of your policy, so there is no need to duplicate this cover.
Contents and personal effects:
Bedding, linen, luggage, general household goods, portable television sets, audio equipment and personal possessions belonging to You or Your Family. This does not include Money or Valuables
Equipment
Tents other than Awnings but including toilet tents, gas bottles, batteries, security devices (including wheel clamps), stabilisers, generators, satellite dishes, solar panels, aquaroll, air conditioning units, and motor movers that are not fixed to Your Unit. Equipment also includes camping lanterns and Sports Equipment
]

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I have copied the wordings from the C&CC policy which is different to my original post but will vary between insurers. Basically it reads as fixed items like most motor movers are part of the caravan but everything else is either contents or personal effects. Do however check the wording of your policy if the cover is with a different insurer.
Most household contents policies will have cover for items temporarily removed from the home, but again check the wording of your policy, so there is no need to duplicate this cover.
Bedding, linen, luggage, general household goods, portable television sets, audio equipment and personal possessions belonging to You or Your Family. This does not include Money or Valuables
Equipment
Tents other than Awnings but including toilet tents, gas bottles, batteries, security devices (including wheel clamps), stabilisers, generators, satellite dishes, solar panels, aquaroll, air conditioning units, and motor movers that are not fixed to Your Unit. Equipment also includes camping lanterns and Sports Equipment
]

Where does the awning get included?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:
Equipment
]

Where does the awning get included?
With the caravan club as was/is under equipment

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must urge caution, :(

As has been stated each insurance company with set their own terms and conditions, and where definitions are not defined in law, then you need to ask you insurer to confirm any questions in writing. Do not rely on forum answers which may be right , but also could be very wrong.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

As has been stated each insurance company with set their own terms and conditions, and where definitions are not defined in law, then you need to ask you insurer to confirm any questions in writing. Do not rely on forum answers which may be right , but also could be very wrong.
Ut supra aliquoties dictum est. B)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:

Ut supra aliquoties dictum est. B)
Must be that Jesuit upbringing :evil:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts