Insurance renewal

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i will have a look. I always expected it to be more, but never a 400% increase. Perhaps it is because the PHEV has 296hp.

John
My Subaru had 240 bhp and was a quarter your quote in 2023. So even allowing for insurance rising it would be cheaper than the Evoque. But I suspect it’s more than just bhp.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John
Scroll past the headline and 'get a quote' is retrospective. Fill in the details for the specific car you've looked at or get a registration from a similar item on Autotrader.
Mick

Thanks, again.

I just tried it and it is an improvement for sure. But still £1058.28 with a min £600 excess.

I will look at 163 hp diesels tomorrow.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, again.

I just tried it and it is an improvement for sure. But still £1058.28 with a min £600 excess.

I will look at 163 hp diesels tomorrow.

John
My son’s FL2;diesel never felt short on power, and in fact could be rather rapid if required. Our thoughts had been turning to a hybrid RAV4, might check the insurance quotes before any serious actions.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The biggest problem with these high insurance premiums is that there will be more uninsured drivers on the road and can you really blame them? :confused:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A bit slow off the mark I’d forgotten the reason behind John’s quotes. Most conventional Insurers don’t want EVs and JLR products. . Mainly repair costs and high incidence of theft according to the press.

It is so bad JLR last year set up their own Isurance arrangements for Owners of their vehicles.
Maybe this will help? I wonder how much they will want?

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Just insured via compare the market, £70 cheaper than the club price last year and seems to be as good cover. Given my caravan isn't the most expensive £70 is a big chunk!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A bit slow off the mark I’d forgotten the reason behind John’s quotes. Most conventional Insurers don’t want EVs and JLR products. . Mainly repair costs and high incidence of theft according to the press.

It is so bad JLR last year set up their own Isurance arrangements for Owners of their vehicles.
Maybe this will help? I wonder how much they will want?

At post 27 John C tried the JLR link for insurance and it came down to £1058 with £600 excess. Still a big jump from his MG. Be interesting to see what quotes JC obtains on diesel Evoques.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just insured via compare the market, £70 cheaper than the club price last year and seems to be as good cover. Given my caravan isn't the most expensive £70 is a big chunk!
May I ask who that’s with?
The Clubs have always been more expensive but then the general consensus is their attitude on claims is second to none

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At post 27 John C tried the JLR link for insurance and it came down to £1058 with £600 excess. Still a big jump from his MG. Be interesting to see what quotes JC obtains on diesel Evoques.
Thanks Clive. Actually it was #19 I missed. Didn’t open the link🙉
So it’s even worse 😥😥

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
May I ask who that’s with?
The Clubs have always been more expensive but then the general consensus is their attitude on claims is second to none
I tried Aviva directly and their premium was a joke for a 6 year old vehicle and 20+ years No claims. Then did a comparison site and cheapest quote was higher than our current renewal which had increased by about £80 from last year.

Eventually did a "silver" quote through Tesco direct and saved over £100! Car has comprehensive cover in the EU and not the bare minimum. Tesco insurance seems to have good reviews for claims.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I tried Aviva directly and their premium was a joke for a 6 year old vehicle and 20+ years No claims. Then did a comparison site and cheapest quote was higher than our current renewal which had increased by about £80 from last year.

Eventually did a "silver" quote through Tesco direct and saved over £100! Car has comprehensive cover in the EU and not the bare minimum. Tesco insurance seems to have good reviews for claims.
All that glitters is not gold!
I was with Tesco for three years. Had a car park bump. Tesco agreed let TP deal with it. So Aviva took charge. Put my car through their approved repairer. Paid me £500 cash in lieu of a £1200 car hire. All happy.

Tesco heavily loaded my premium! Even though not my fault.
I approached Aviva who’d dealt with my claim , excellently. They offered me a premium £100 less that Tesco.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This year, I have been offered through Compare the market, Sainsbury's Bank Essentials, as lowest quote on my 2014 Santa Fe. For £348 . I shall have to see what present insurer offers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was with Tesco for three years. Had a car park bump. Tesco agreed let TP deal with it. So Aviva took charge. Put my car through their approved repairer. Paid me £500 cash in lieu of a £1200 car hire. All happy.

I approached Aviva who’d dealt with my claim , excellently. They offered me a premium £100 less that Tesco.
When someone reversed into my wife’s car I was just approaching the car so saw everything. I’m sure the other driver would have bunked off. I obtained their details and gave them mine. Their insurer were First Central and they contacted me within an hour. I was happy to let them lead on the repair at a Kia approved repairer.

I contacted our insurer LV and the agent asked if I wanted to make a formal notification. I declined and we left it there.

I find it strange that even for a no fault claim the innocent party can see their premiums rise as the insurer sees increased future risk.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I think every insurance company loads the premium for the following year. We had a claim with the CC for about £900 damage. The following year the premium was over £700 and increase of nearly £500!

• Wow
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wonder if it’s the PHEV system or that Evoques are desirable. What’s the quote for ICE no electric.
I spent a bit of time looking at insurance prices for some contenders.

IMG_0376.jpeg

Pity, because I found a nice Evoque locally. I was about to buy it when I looked at the insurance cost. Look again today. Perhaps an Evoque diesel.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s quite astonishing especially since the diesel Evoque isn’t miles away from the other makes. Difficult decision. For what it’s worth a friend of mine bought a PHEV Tucson when they gave up caravanning. A nice car, perhaps worth a look especially if you can find one with a length of makers warranty left. Nicer looking than Sportage although Sportage has the 7 year warranty.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That’s quite astonishing especially since the diesel Evoque isn’t miles away from the other makes. Difficult decision. For what it’s worth a friend of mine bought a PHEV Tucson when they gave up caravanning. A nice car, perhaps worth a look especially if you can find one with a length of makers warranty left. Nicer looking than Sportage although Sportage has the 7 year warranty.
I agree with your conclusions.

My brother has the Tucson mild hybrid. Very happy. Just returned from 8 weeks touring Spain with caravan. Good mpg.

I am not keen on the internal layout.

I just tried the Sportage and found restricted head room getting in. So that’s a no.

I have now found this:

IMG_3457.jpeg

Just 2500 miles. I love the Mazda red. Will test drive tomorrow, but first need to look up the insurance.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My brother has the Tucson mild hybrid. Very happy. Just returned from 8 weeks touring Spain with caravan. Good mpg.

I just tried the Sportage and found restricted head room getting in. So that’s a no.

I have now found this:

View attachment 7279

Just 2500 miles. I love the Mazda red. Will test drive tomorrow, but first need to look up the insurance.

John
You don't hear many complaints wrt Mazdas. Nice looking motor.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

I have now found this:

View attachment 7279

John
Looks stunning i to like a Mazda good luck with the test drive

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The company is peacock but they're just a broker. There was another company with much better 'presentation' but the small print revealed by caravan has its door on the wrong side.....
Actually not just a Broker but a firm with contacts in the industry that got you the excellent quote.
As I have said before there is life after the Comparison sites. A decent Insurance Broker could save people hundreds.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been thinking of using a broker when our car insurance comes up in October. We use one for insuring the house our daughter lives in and the renewals haven’t been too significant this last couple of years. Fortunately in the 25 years we have used them there hasn’t been a claim.

The one thing I’m cautious of for the cars is how well a claim is dealt with in the event of an accident. Do you get the support that mainline insurers tend to give these days. Which undoubtedly we pay for. When there was a very minor NFA on our runabout the other parties insurance dealt with everything. Otherwise our only two car claims have been no fault write offs where the only support required was to take the cars away and pay the claim.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site

I have now found this:

View attachment 7279

John
You must be the jolly green giant, as I am 6ft 2, and have plenty headroom in my Sportage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts