Insurance renewal

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are using a someone else to tow your caravan, don't assume their insurance will cover damage to your caravan whilst in transit. Check the T&C's of their towing service to find out and if necessary ask. It's unfortunately quite common for services like this to not cover the the trailer or its content and they expect the customer to have their own insurance against loos or damage. It much the same as car parks and caravan storage sites where they expressly exclude loss or damages to customer property.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday got the renewal for Corolla and it went up by £2.00! I then used a comparison site and RAC Online offered the same cover at £20 less and also with an excess £150 lower. Guess which one I chose?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our car renewal documents have arrived from LV. Last years was £724 on a combined policy. This years is £777. So not too bad except now our 2017 Rio costs almost as much the 2021 Xceed. So grandson who got rid of his Tesla to ease his finances might be asked for a £185 contribution on account of him being on the Rio policy. Our plans to go to one car understandably put on hold…….

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having trawled through three comparison sites and direct quotes from Tesco and Saga too I've decide to stay with LV as they still hold N0 2 in WHICH comparison of 25 companies. and where competitive for our needs. NFU at No1 were out of this world.

In comparison Tesco, who someone on the Forum recently obtained good price from, quoted £478 for the Xcedd with joint drivers, compared to £396 from LV.

That's it now, life's too short, so kick the ball to touch until October 2025.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Without looking, I stayed with LV, told them circumstances had changed, and the car is now on the driveway, ( two mobility Chariots an a motorbike in the garage, just room for a bike and sidecar, )
The premium had risen by £8 , ISH then I got a 10% discount, so I was £30 lower.

It pays to talk to the human, and be nice, a lot are students ready to go to college or University.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Without looking, I stayed with LV, told them circumstances had changed, and the car is now on the driveway, ( two mobility Chariots an a motorbike in the garage, just room for a bike and sidecar, )
The premium had risen by £8 , ISH then I got a 10% discount, so I was £30 lower.

It pays to talk to the human, and be nice, a lot are students ready to go to college or University.
I did speak with a human about my renewal and the lady got me so confused that I gave up. At present my wife has been the main driver, but I wanted myself as the main driver on her car which is registered in her name. I have been a named driver on the policy for the past 14 years.

OH has 24 years No Claims. I was told that as the main driver I would have zero No claims as the main driver on her car although on my car I have over 30 years. I was told that I could not use my No claims on her car as it cannot be transferred across even though the car is registered in her name. The lady then started batting the No claims scenario around and not giving me a chance go clarify so gave up. No issue with RAC Online and with me as main driver.

May 30, 2024
Visit site
Can be a bit of confusion between policy holder, registered keeper and main driver. Not all necessarily the same person.

No claims bonus is built up by the policy holder. So if you and your wife each have a policy, then your NCD applies to your policy and her NCD applies to her policy. If you buy a third car, then whichever of you is named as the policy holder for it needs to start all over, accumulating NCD on the new policy. Likewise, if your wife gave up her policy and you still wanted to insure that car then it would become a second policy in your name, so you'd need to start all over earning NCD again.

Whilst insurers would generally expect the policy holder and the registered keeper to be the same person (for private cars) I think you're usually free to move around on who the main driver is, because that should just be a matter of fact depending on circumstances.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can be a bit of confusion between policy holder, registered keeper and main driver. Not all necessarily the same person.

No claims bonus is built up by the policy holder. So if you and your wife each have a policy, then your NCD applies to your policy and her NCD applies to her policy. If you buy a third car, then whichever of you is named as the policy holder for it needs to start all over, accumulating NCD on the new policy. Likewise, if your wife gave up her policy and you still wanted to insure that car then it would become a second policy in your name, so you'd need to start all over earning NCD again.

Whilst insurers would generally expect the policy holder and the registered keeper to be the same person (for private cars) I think you're usually free to move around on who the main driver is, because that should just be a matter of fact depending on circumstances.
Thanks for the informative post. We only have the two vehicles. OH's car does about 3000 miles a year going by MOT speedo reading. It is mainly used to go into town. The lady really got me confused by throwing several No claims scenarios at me at not giving the opportunity to ask questions.

RAC Online were not interested in my NC history, just the NC for the registered keeper. After getting two quotes with me as main driver and then OH as main driver, I decided to leave OH as main driver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts