Internal + external water tanks (Newbie question)

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
I bought a second-hand motorhome this year and love the life! However, the access to the fresh water tank is through the living area floor. I'm partially disabled and it's hard work lifting carpets and pouring in 10L at a time, all I can reasonably carry.
I've seen caravans with those rolly barrel things and a pump. My motorhome has a Truma Crystal Compact inlet, and I wondered if I could use a big barrel outside.
Documentation suggests the motorhome once had the inlet and a Waterline hose to a mains tap. Could I fit a pump instead? Would it run alongside the existing pump and water tank? What would I need to buy?
Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Well I'll kick off with some of the info for you!
Aquaroll is the most common make although there are others similar - about £50 new although you do see them second hand on auction sites - although make sure you get wider inlet caps - you'll see the difference on used ads! The Truma pump will be a replaceable item (about £50 again), and plugs into a socket on the exterior wall - then you would expect an internal switch to enable external use rather than the inbuilt tank. Once the external pump is dropped into the aquaroll you can also buy a hose and ballcock arrangement that direct connects to a water tap - then as the pump uses water it auto refills (about £25). You will not find individual water tap[s on many sites - then you have to refill and use the handle to roll the barrel back to the van. 40 litres when full is a weight to consider too.
Sorry can't shed any light on the other direct connection to fill the internal tank.

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
Wow, thanks for that.
I can manage to roll 40 litres provided it's not too much of a slope. Far better than multiple trips with 10L bags!
You say I need an internal switch to switch between using the internal and external water tanks? Since the socket is there, I guess there must already be a switch, but I have no idea where.

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
Though come to think of it, there's a switch on the control panel to turn the pump on. Perhaps if I don't switch that on, it will just use the external pump?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
revnms Just had a thought as I have seen many motor homes pull up on site and fill up with water from the outside of the motor home. Just seems strange having to take water through the M.H.
Sir Roger

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
Tell me about it. My MH is 17 years old and no doubt designers quickly caught on that its a pain, and designed-in the external access. I'm just surprised that they didn't think of it sooner. Also, why have the electric hook-up on the same side as the door? Just creates a tripping hazard.

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the site, would you be able to purchase a long hose with an attachment on to attach to the tap and fill it that way, if you have a problem doing it on your own hover round by tap and get someone to help, or if you know someone who's a bit good DIY get them to put an inlet, get off an online site cheap, on the side of the tank and run it to the side of the van and fill same as newer vans

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts