Internal LED Lights

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
this is a minefield. I've been trialling two leds, a single and a spotlight. Both useless in light and colour. Mate has done his and used smd, surface mounted diodes. these are excellnt but costly.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
I changed all the halogen spote last year for LED's. Iused the following supplier

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/
Initially I purchased 2 as a trial then changed the rest. I stook advice initially as there are 10 spots in the van. It was a just a case of removing the old halogen and inserting the new LED.

For the spots above the fixed bed and at the front of the van I used Warm White and for the spots above the work surfaces I used Cool White. I havent had any trouble with the lifgt that they emit readin g at night being no problem.

Next I have to change the shower bulb and the external door light.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pete Pajero.

(Already posted this once but its disappeared, so here goes again)

Do you order these strips in your particular lengths, or is there some system of creating your own lengths ?

Is there a need to specify the 'raised' type that someone says is important ?

Do you have a Hong Kong address for the organisation you dealt with ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Les C.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello Leslie,

The message probaly got deleted because I mention Flea Bay, the well known site for buying and selling.

BUT I used its real name. Moderators dont like it for some reason - either that or you pushed the wrong button - or theres a black hole sucking in messages - whatever .............

You can find the LED strips on flea bay - have a good look around - just enter LED on the search bar and Hey Presto.

I bought the 20 inch strips of white LED.

These are only to replace the tubes, and to do that involves the use of a soldering iron.

Replacement halogen are on there too. You just have to keep putting different titles on flea bay. i.e. 12v led - or white strip led etc etc.

Good luck

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As for the raised type, it all depends what you are replacing, but - no - dont worry. Why that was mentioned, I dont know. The author did not explain this at all.

Just in case you dont know, very little heat comes off LEDs - not enough to worry about anyway if that was what he was referring to.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This is what happens when forum members decide to post the same topic under different sections of the forum!

There have been no deletions by moderators and the statement:

'he message probaly got deleted because I mention Flea Bay, the well known site for buying and selling.

BUT I used its real name. Moderators dont like it for some reason - either that or you pushed the wrong button - or theres a black hole sucking in messages - whatever ...'

is not correct.

The duplicated topic is Here

From now on topics from the same member which are duplicated will be removed to avoid confusion.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I go on C&CC rallies at least twice a month Pete and use a 110 amp/ hour leisure battery.

With judicious use of the 12v systems such as halogen lighting, the water pump etc the battery easily remains charged and usable for the duration of our stay ,usually Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. We don't use blow air heating or the OmniVent fan over the oven skylight to conserve battery power.

After gaining more experience of non ehu rallying I've replaced the GU4 halogen reading spots over the headboard and the G4 halogen bulbs in the main 12v lounge lights of our Abbey 620 with LED 'bulbs' from Ultraleds

These may seem expensive compared to LED's from Hong Kong which are available from EBay but the 'blurb' that I read tells me that the ultraleds have built in resistors and they are suitable for the varying voltages available from caravan leisure batteries.

The leisure battery might hold 13.5 volts at the beginning of the rally and only 12.3 volts at the end.

I also regularly charge both of my leisure batteries (I have a spare)with a C-TEK deep cycle charger to maintain them in good condition.

I might try some of the cheapo EBay LED's as replacements for some of the other halogen spots and the other set of overheads to see how they compare.

Because I now spend so much time 'off ehu' I've bought an 80watt solar panel but I haven't rigged it up properly yet.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I forgot to add, the Ultraled products that I bought were 'warm white' and are as bright if not brighter than the halogens that they replaced. LED's generate very little heat so I chose a higher wattage.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Parksy - please let us know how you get on with the Solar panel sometime please.

I use a Honda genny at the moment on CL's, and it would be interesting to know how you get on without EHU and with solar.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2007
Visit site
I will now speak directly from my own experience. I have spent quite a lot of money with Ultraleds comletely kitting out my 'van and on a significant number of household GU10 units. Despite the fact that LED replacement units are supposed to last for years and years the warranty period offered can be very short. I have been caught out by this with Ultraleds, with numerous failed GU10 units and found myself banging my head against a brick wall. Never mind getting failed items replaced you'll be doing well to even get emails answered. Ultraleds have seen the last of my money and I would now NOT recommend them to anyone.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I only fitted by ultraleds on the last trip in the caravan so I haven't had them long enough to comment about their durability.

As for the rant by 'D4ve', he needs to have a look at Forum Etiquette before he submits posts to this forum with particular regard to Rule 4.

Apr 26, 2007
Visit site
So where is the dividing line between complaining and relaying our experiences. Are we in a sterile environment where only positive experiences are condoned therefore letting others wander in ignorance into situations they could have chosen to avoid?

It is very true about not knowing how good any company is until something goes wrong. For me a number of items went wrong over a period of time and the need to make multiple attempts to get responses is what I came to expect. I gave up persuing this a while ago as I was getting nowhere fast.

My opinion is already formed however there is now the possibility that readers of this thread might be able to form a more balanced opinion and not be left with one where everything in the garden is rosy.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Every time somebody ignores the rules of this forum and a moderator points this out the response is always the same.

If you had a bad experience with a company take it up with them. We have no method of checking the accuracy of complaints against named companies which is why they are not allowed on this forum.

What's to stop business rivals submitting complaints or disgruntled customers waging online vendettas otherwise?

Note that the rule breaking post was not deleted so that forum members will be able to take this into account but the rules exist for a reason as I've pointed out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts