Internet security

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Happy New Year all. I presently have 2 months free Norton antivirus. I propose changing to AVG free. What other free security would you suggest that is compatible with AVG? Any considerations would be gratefully appreciated. Butler

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Avast is another good free AV. Ad Aware by Lavasoft is free for spyware.
I'm with BT which uses a firewall at source. MacAfee comes with the BT package so I use their AV. Having Windows 7 I use the Windows firewall on my computer.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Piriform CC cleaner is a safe freeware system cleaner which will remove unwanted items and clean the registry (this is where the anti virus will leave used files) which will optimize the performance of your computer. It has a restore point function and it's perfectly safe and stable.

http://www.piriform.com/
Obit Advanced System care is another safe piece of freeware which will address security issues and vulnerabilities and remove malware.

http://www.iobit.com/

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use these days Windows own free offering; "Microsoft Security Essentials".
Google it for endorsements. It is well regarded and one presumes well integrated to work trouble free with Windows and other Microsoft products.

I have had no problems and it certainly does not slow things up as much as the McAfee I had from BT.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
As the song goes "These are a few of my favourite things"..................
MSE Virus Software with Zone Alarm firewall
Firefox Browser with "Better Privacy" Add-on
"Startpage" search engine (Definitly not Google)
CCleaner
Although CCleaner is quite good if you really want to get rid of the most junk and create more disc space then this is probably the best:- http://download.cnet.com/Find-Junk-Files/3000-2248_4-10276819.html ---- BUT USE IT WITH CAUTION --- i.e. make sure you know what you are removing!!!

Well I never get a virus with that lot!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Advice for a newbie as far as computors are concerned.
See others recommend the ccleaner, which I have now downloaded, there starts the problem.
Some of the boxes are ticked which I assume will be cleaned if I push the Run Cleaner.
Where is the best place to find info on what they all actually are, take the first one for example- Temporary Internet Files is Ticked and the following one- Cookies is not Ticked.
Some of them I dont even understand ie; Index.dat files, Explorer MRUs etc etc.
Sorry if I sound a bit thick, thats because I am, but I'm willing to learn!!!!!
Thanks for any advise.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest using the default settings until you have the confidence and knowledge to select for yourself.

MRU's are "most recently used" if you find that it doesn't suit you to delete them then don't. Cookies are a bit intrusive and it's always best to get rid of them.

Do a search and you will generally find the answers but if you are not sure then leave well alone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I was very interested to read the replies. In the Telegraph about a month ago, Rick Maybury recommended using a programme called 'decrapifier' and no, I'm not kidding, to remove the pre-installed rubbish. He said that one of the reasons that computers and lap tops have become relatively cheaper is that they include a lot of trial softwear often with subscription options. The other recommendation was revo-uninstaller. As Reg emphasised, if you are unsure leave alone. However, it does go through the various programmes and as well as naming the programmes it also tells you where they originate as well. Although no expert, I found it easy to spot a lot of stuff that I wouldn't want. Anything I was unsure about stayed on, for the time being. Now my next challenge is to move my itunes library from my xp laptop to this windows 7 machine. I do have an external hard drive at hand to help. Any help with that would be very, very, gratefully received. Butler

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
butler
If you have wifi then emailing them over the network is the easiest way or you can copy them directly from one to the other but you will have to connect both PC's to a network first.
Reg

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
butler said:
Now my next challenge is to move my itunes library from my xp laptop to this windows 7 machine. I do have an external hard drive at hand to help. Any help with that would be very, very, gratefully received. Butler

I would definitely make a back-up i-tunes folder on my external hard drive, just like I would for any other important to me file I did not want to put at risk losing due to a single hard drive failure.
With that file safely stored on the external hard drive it is simple then to make a copy of its contents into you Documents file on the new machine.

In these cases the data is reasonably quickly and securely transmitted between units via a USB 2 cable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
butler said:
Happy New Year all. I presently have 2 months free Norton antivirus. I propose changing to AVG free. What other free security would you suggest that is compatible with AVG? Any considerations would be gratefully appreciated. Butler
Many years ago I used AVG which seemed to work well until they introduced a new version which caused a lot of problems. Have used Norton ever since and not regretted it. I think I will stick with Norton thanks.
David

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
JTQ said:
II have had no problems and it certainly does not slow things up as much as the McAfee I had from BT.

I only found that MacAfee slowed things down when using their site advisor tool. Sometimes it would freeze I.E. Since I've disabled the tool I've had no more problems. It's something I can live without because MacAfee checks any downloads anyway.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
David Klyne said:
Many years ago I used AVG which seemed to work well until they introduced a new version which caused a lot of problems.

I also had problems when they brought out version 8. I got rid of it at the time and used Avast with no problems.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Norton does a good job but it's just a bug to the PC operating system . I just don't understand why anyone uses Norton or Mcafee.
My wife recently got a new laptop, super fast processor, 4gb , 500gig hard drive. It came with free trials of McAfee and Norton.
It's start up was still really quite slow. I ran the Norton removal tool and it behaved like a different machine and with MS Essentials it works just as fast as well.
Unless you use Norton, Mcafee or other AV removal tools your system is still slowed down even if you change to different AV software.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
ditch windows and ms and install Linux. No more virus worries. and lots and lots of free software. If you want to run windows get a free windows emulator.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I run Linux on my netbook but I think it's not really user friendly.
The trouble is there are so many flavours of linux and the version on by eeePC is probably one of the worse.
But it is fast and as I only use it as a netbook then it does that job well but I couldn't live with it as a main PC.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the choice of a Linux or Windows netbook, tried Linux and was not overly impressed. My wife and I still use mainly work related MS progams and have no issues using Windows so opted for Windows netbook that gells well with our main computers.
I've tried Firefox and Google Chrome as well as IE but keep coming back to Opera browser, now Opera 11. Opera security and speed is really great and even two of my IT techy kids have changed to Opera from Firefox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts