is it just me!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Is caravanning becomming expensive or is it just me. I have a wife, 3 childern and a dog. I work during the week and my childern go to school so its weekends when we can. On average its £30 a night. Even Caravan club sites cost us this. I cant imagine why it costs us £3 per night for our dog, exactly what facilities will she be using to warrant the charge. I got the caravan thinking i would get cheaper weekends but it just seems to be getting more and more expensive. or is it only me? Your thoughts and ideas.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob, I take this view, where else can you get good quality accomadation for five people and a dog for thirty quid a night?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,if you use CLs its a lot cheaper than commercial sites.

On the most expensive Caravan Club sites in peak season it will cost members less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob, The CC and C&CC clubs charge for the pitch and then for the person. They take the view that once the pitch is paid for that all other services on site are for the person. Why should a person caravanning solo pay as much as a couple or family?

There are lots of places to caravan cheaply unless you want an all singing site in peak times. Most sites in Dorset cost no more than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So can anyone explain why sites have to charge per person and not just by the pitch?
Also if you have children, they'll most likely be using any play areas etc that will need maintenance.

More rubbish is produced as well which will need to be paid for as it's commercial waste.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since looking at the cost of setting up a caravan site in the grounds of our B&B I have no qualms whatsoever in the prices charged by sites. We have abandoned our plans because of the astronomical set up costs. We needed extra electric

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree it is not cheap,apart from the cost of a pitch,

you have the price of the caravan, insurance, equipment,

fuel to arrive at your destination, spending money

Yes I know it can be done on the cheap, but there will always be core costs.

It is a grand way to holiday and I fully appreciate the

monies involved in running a site.

Charge for dogs every time.

roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since looking at the cost of setting up a caravan site in the grounds of our B&B I have no qualms whatsoever in the prices charged by sites. We have abandoned our plans because of the astronomical set up costs. We needed extra electric

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why is it that you should pay extra for an awning, you are not using anymore facilities, the pitch is aready taken with your van. To me its just another way on making a lot more money, its just plain greedy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree Rob.

The charging system is all wrong when Kids and Dogs and awning are charged for as extra's. There should be a one off charge for the pitch and that should be the end of it.

Some on this forum have said the reasons are maintenance and the cost of services used by the extra person.

The cost of maintenance will not be very high for playgrounds, and as for rubbish/water/elec the extra is neglible, certainly not the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree Rob.

The charging system is all wrong when Kids and Dogs and awning are charged for as extra's. There should be a one off charge for the pitch and that should be the end of it.

Some on this forum have said the reasons are maintenance and the cost of services used by the extra person.

The cost of maintenance will not be very high for playgrounds, and as for rubbish/water/elec the extra is neglible, certainly not the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to be amazed at silly prices have a look at www.redshoot-camping.com

I could not believe what they had separated out so that they could charge for it.

The Widend site sounds great Colin - we will give it a try.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to be amazed at silly prices have a look at www.redshoot-camping.com

I could not believe what they had separated out so that they could charge for it.

The Widend site sounds great Colin - we will give it a try.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the site. It all depends on the age of the children - if they are teanagers you may find it has not a lot of facilities at evening time for this age range. There are no fully serviced pitches that I am aware of, however taps/waste disposal points, etc. are all very close no matter where you are sited.

Seasonal pitches are very reasonable and facilities are there for storage if you so wish. You could phone up and tell them when you are arriving and they will tow the van onto the pitch and erect the awning for you. After your stat the van will be returned to staorage until your next visit.

Access to the site is off the second roundabout on the Torquay ring road and signposted Marldon. The road is narrow although wide enough to pass when towing. The distance off the ring road inland is approximately 2 miles.

If you try the site I hope you will enjoy it, my wife and I cannot fault it. The owners are a young English couple who cannot be faulted for courtesy and assistance, however most of the site personnel are from south Wales.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is the way that business works though. The same argument to apply to say entry into a zoo. Why should a family of 4 pay more than a single person? They aren't actually causing any extra expense to the zoo. But it wouldn't be fair if it was charged per family unit.

This is the same for a camp site. You are paying for the facilities in the best way that the site owner can spread the costs. The alternative would be to charge a fixed unit price which would probably work out to be the equivalent of a 3 person family. So is this then fair on the single person who doesn't use any of the camp facilities, but can see the family next door taking hot showers in the morning and evening, using the play facilities, using the dedicated dog walk etc. If it was evened out, then I suspect that a family of 3 would pay about the same, a family of 4 or more would be slightly better off, and single campers or couples would have to pay considerably more. This may then result in them not using the site, which would result in prices having to increase, which gets you back to where you were in the first place, only without the smaller families who now can't afford to go camping at all.

Come the end of the day it's a system that's been worked by the industry since it started, and most people are happy with it. The only thing that I don't like is charging for an awning on a hard standing, but then I mostly stay at Caravan Club sites where you don't pay extra for awnings or dogs. The answer is simple of course. Review the prices before you book and if you object to them don't use the site. It's your option come the end of the day, no-one's forcing you to use these sites.

If you're in a club then you should get, or have access to, the annual finincial statement. This will then tell you exactly where all the money comes from and goes to.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Also if you have children, they'll most likely be using any play areas etc that will need maintenance.

More rubbish is produced as well which will need to be paid for as it's commercial waste.
This is of course provided they have the facilities such as a play area etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts