Is it me, Or........

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
johnandrew70 said:
I think Delidave means because we are all living in a sueing society haymarket could have there knuckles wrapped because some idiot drilled a 2 inch hole in the roof of there van to feed a cable through and now it leaks when it rains.
Why? Practical Car Mechanics and Custom Car Magazine do exactly that.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
johnandrew70 said:
I think Delidave means because we are all living in a sueing society haymarket could have there knuckles wrapped because some idiot drilled a 2 inch hole in the roof of there van to feed a cable through and now it leaks when it rains.

Whilst I agree in principal lets face it a car doesn't have a gas or 240v system, of which we all know should be repaired/ serviced by a qualified engineer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
RogerL said:
johnandrew70 said:

Whilst I agree in principal lets face it a car doesn't have a gas or 240v system, of which we all know should be repaired/ serviced by a qualified engineer.
Cars are generally much more lethal than caravans !
Petrol is fairly lethal and so are 30,000 volt ignition systems - and then there's the drivers!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Prof,
Why write direct to the magazine?
Surely the"magazine gurus" read this forum :S

I'm not sure they all do, besides which with issues like this its better to put the question or point direct to the target, rather than the out field.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
johnandrew70 said:
Its funny how none of the moderators have come on here to defend the Mag or Haymarket, Maybe they agree with what is being said here.
On 2 occasion's i have been told by the moderators that i am not allowed to do certain things, 1 because i wanted to sell my Awning (advertise) on here (the forums) and was told that Haymarket do not allow its members to sell items on the forum, Probably because they arent earning anything from the sale, and the 2nd telling off was because i put a link on here for my facebook group which is for Caravan and Motorhome owners, Probably because they are afraid that my group would get more interesting and informative that there Mag,

As has been very kindly pointed out by experienced forum users, moderators are not employed by Haymarket.
We are ordinary caravan owners like every other forumite (although Damian also happens to be a highly qualified caravan engineer and so is a good person to seek technical advice from), and we volunteered to help out with the forum to foster it's smooth running.
It's not our remit to stifle genuine feedback about PCv magazine which I'm sure is in any case welcomed by magazine editorial staff.
I heartily dislike having to prevent genuine forum users from advertising their spare accessories on this forum but I don't set the rules.
I've asked repeatedly over the years if we could be given a classified adverts section but for various reasons of which I have no knowledge this has not been possible.
The problem with adverts on the forum itself, rather than in a separate section, is that it would be easy for the various message boards to become bogged down with adverts which those reading or replying to forum posts would have to wade through before they reached the post that they were looking for. Forum members would soon tire of this, and moderators would tire even sooner of having to spend hours removing unauthorised adverts from commercial companies and worse from the website and forum.
The complaints mentioned in this topic about adverts in the magazine bear this out exactly.

It fell to me to remove your Facebook link, but if you felt that you had been 'told off' I'm sorry that this was your impression because I'm not a normally person who tells people off.
I tried to explain to you at the time the reason why your Facebook link couldn't appear on this forum.
It was mainly because Practical Caravan have their own Facebook page which they would prefer to promote, (and which private adverts appear regularly on as they do f.o.c. in the magazine so 'making money ' from your sale is not the issue) and the link breached rule 6 of forum etiquette which reads: 'You may not transmit any advertising or promotional material'.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/new-members-say-hello/49375-forum-etiquette-please-read#oBGxSr7PXj8lgm7j.99
If you'd care to look in the website Terms and Conditions and scroll down to sub section 6 there are T&Cs which would prohibit a link to your FB page in 6.1.4 and 6.1.5
If you disagree with my actions or you felt that I was rude to you or handled the situation badly or unfairly you are perfectly free to bring the matter to the attention of Lizzie Pope who is the administrator of this forum, but I have to apply the rules to all forum users without fear or favour.

As for criticism of the magazine, feedback is often asked for by editorial staff and I'm pretty sure that this thread will be seen and taken note of.
As a reward for my voluntary moddying efforts I'm given a magazine subscription free of charge which was one of the reasons why I hadn't had my say, but I can see that some of the emphasis in the articles has shifted.
There used to be the old regular cycle from the build up to the shows when new models were discussed and compared which generally lasted until Easter when the main shows were around February - March.
Then the articles shifted to being about places to go, then in high summer there'd be beaches and sandcastles followed by caravan maintenance in Autumn.
The winter months dealt with preventing frost damage and things like caravan covers and next seasons must haves in time for Christmas when there might be a few articles on foreign touring and then the whole thing would begin once more....
Many of us are getting a bit long in the tooth now and we were comfortable with the old routine.
I'd certainly agree that the magazine might benefit from more in depth articles on maintenance, used caravan buying and what to look for, how not to be cheated etc and one or two articles for newbies on correct towing technique from a safety point of view wouldn't come amiss.
I enjoy the humour provided by Martin Roberts, maybe he could pass on some tips about doing television journalism, but let's not forget that there has been a great influx of younger families who have dismissed the old fuddy duddy image of tourers so beloved of the media and maybe the magazine is trying to move with the times and cater for some of the younger families or to promote a younger image in general?
We all have an opinion of the magazine, the website, the forum etc; and there's nothing at all wrong with expressing it here on the forum, constructive feedback is always welcome.
Nigel Donnelly moved on to What Car and is to be found living the high life in hotels when he's in nice locations, driving great cars and hopefully enjoying every minute of it.
No doubt the job became his because his new bosses could see what a great job he did on Practical Caravan magazine.
Alastair Clements will I'm sure prove equally as popular, and over time will guide the PCv magazine in a direction that will suit young and old alike. :)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
RogerL said:
johnandrew70 said:
hi all,
I found that last remark rather amusing Roger :cheer: because legistlation is afoot to stop exactly that.
under the new rules modifications will be deemed an illegal fitment and a MOT failure.
only parts supplied as original fitment can be used unless vetted and tested by the relevent gov dept beforehand.
I only found this out recently because I am in the process of restoring a old jap superbike. now at present it is in a poor state of undress. when the time comes to start rebuilding it, i cannot turn it into a trike or 4wheeler, and can only use either the original parts or patterned parts, I cannot alter the frame or running gear either. unless it comes from a model made after mine.[in case the original parts are unobtainable] otherwise the first test has to be done at an approved gov test center [not a mot garage] and a certificate of type approval and/or compliance issued for future tests.
while this process in not aimed at caravans nor required to be so, as the saying goes "watch this space"

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Colin - you're scare-mongering - whilst it's true that there are moves within Europe to do as you describe, specifically in Germany, but there's little political support for it in the UK and it's one of the issues to be addressed in EU reform renegotiations likely to take place in the next 6 years - as you say, watch that space.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Parksy said:
johnandrew70 said:
Its funny how none of the moderators have come on here to defend the Mag or Haymarket, Maybe they agree with what is being said here.
On 2 occasion's i have been told by the moderators that i am not allowed to do certain things, 1 because i wanted to sell my Awning (advertise) on here (the forums) and was told that Haymarket do not allow its members to sell items on the forum, Probably because they arent earning anything from the sale, and the 2nd telling off was because i put a link on here for my facebook group which is for Caravan and Motorhome owners, Probably because they are afraid that my group would get more interesting and informative that there Mag,

As has been very kindly pointed out by experienced forum users, moderators are not employed by Haymarket.
We are ordinary caravan owners like every other forumite (although Damian also happens to be a highly qualified caravan engineer and so is a good person to seek technical advice from), and we volunteered to help out with the forum to foster it's smooth running.
It's not our remit to stifle genuine feedback about PCv magazine which I'm sure is in any case welcomed by magazine editorial staff.
I heartily dislike having to prevent genuine forum users from advertising their spare accessories on this forum but I don't set the rules.
I've asked repeatedly over the years if we could be given a classified adverts section but for various reasons of which I have no knowledge this has not been possible.
The problem with adverts on the forum itself, rather than in a separate section, is that it would be easy for the various message boards to become bogged down with adverts which those reading or replying to forum posts would have to wade through before they reached the post that they were looking for. Forum members would soon tire of this, and moderators would tire even sooner of having to spend hours removing unauthorised adverts from commercial companies and worse from the website and forum.
The complaints mentioned in this topic about adverts in the magazine bear this out exactly.

It fell to me to remove your Facebook link, but if you felt that you had been 'told off' I'm sorry that this was your impression because I'm not a normally person who tells people off.
I tried to explain to you at the time the reason why your Facebook link couldn't appear on this forum.
It was mainly because Practical Caravan have their own Facebook page which they would prefer to promote, (and which private adverts appear regularly on as they do f.o.c. in the magazine so 'making money ' from your sale is not the issue) and the link breached rule 6 of forum etiquette which reads: 'You may not transmit any advertising or promotional material'.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/new-members-say-hello/49375-forum-etiquette-please-read#oBGxSr7PXj8lgm7j.99
If you'd care to look in the website Terms and Conditions and scroll down to sub section 6 there are T&Cs which would prohibit a link to your FB page in 6.1.4 and 6.1.5
If you disagree with my actions or you felt that I was rude to you or handled the situation badly or unfairly you are perfectly free to bring the matter to the attention of Lizzie Pope who is the administrator of this forum, but I have to apply the rules to all forum users without fear or favour.

As for criticism of the magazine, feedback is often asked for by editorial staff and I'm pretty sure that this thread will be seen and taken note of.
As a reward for my voluntary moddying efforts I'm given a magazine subscription free of charge which was one of the reasons why I hadn't had my say, but I can see that some of the emphasis in the articles has shifted.
There used to be the old regular cycle from the build up to the shows when new models were discussed and compared which generally lasted until Easter when the main shows were around February - March.
Then the articles shifted to being about places to go, then in high summer there'd be beaches and sandcastles followed by caravan maintenance in Autumn.
The winter months dealt with preventing frost damage and things like caravan covers and next seasons must haves in time for Christmas when there might be a few articles on foreign touring and then the whole thing would begin once more....
Many of us are getting a bit long in the tooth now and we were comfortable with the old routine.
I'd certainly agree that the magazine might benefit from more in depth articles on maintenance, used caravan buying and what to look for, how not to be cheated etc and one or two articles for newbies on correct towing technique from a safety point of view wouldn't come amiss.
I enjoy the humour provided by Martin Roberts, maybe he could pass on some tips about doing television journalism, but let's not forget that there has been a great influx of younger families who have dismissed the old fuddy duddy image of tourers so beloved of the media and maybe the magazine is trying to move with the times and cater for some of the younger families or to promote a younger image in general?
We all have an opinion of the magazine, the website, the forum etc; and there's nothing at all wrong with expressing it here on the forum, constructive feedback is always welcome.
Nigel Donnelly moved on to What Car and is to be found living the high life in hotels when he's in nice locations, driving great cars and hopefully enjoying every minute of it.
No doubt the job became his because his new bosses could see what a great job he did on Practical Caravan magazine.
Alastair Clements will I'm sure prove equally as popular, and over time will guide the PCv magazine in a direction that will suit young and old alike. :)

Hi Parksy please dont think i was having a go at you, as you say you were following the rules set out by haymarket and i said this in the original posting.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Back to the original topic, and I too was disappointed again by this month's PC. I like mountain walking, that's why I buy the Great Outdoors magazine. My caravan is well past the first flush of youth and I love doing little odd maintenance and improvement jobs that are within my competence and legality - I'd love to think that the current lack of any DIY articles are because of the recent sad loss of Doug, and that PC are trying to find someone big enough to fill his shoes, but now this thread has inspired me to reflect on just how many recent editions I've been disappointed by, I doubt it.

It doesn't help that there isn't a better alternative on the market, unless someone knows something I don't. The Caravan Club magazine is better than it used to be, but I still really only read it because it's free with my subscription and I like entering the crossword competition.

I can't remember offhand when my PC subscription renewal is due, but I think I'll be reviewing the situation when the reminder arrives...

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gozza.
No wonder I never win the X word. You must beat me every time.
The common denominator here is the lack or shortage of diy projects.
I can think of at least six forumites who have described on the fo
rum repairs or modifications they have made.
The subjects include:
plastic lining a shower cubicle

Repairing floor delamination

Repairing damage from water ingress
Fitting and wiring up a solar panel.
Fitting additional cooling fans to the refrigerator.
Removal and fitting new decals.
Reversing cameras.
And the list goes on.
You know who you are.The wizards of modifications.
Come on PCv Editors. Any one of these articles is worth a few Milenco mirrors, wink.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hi Gozza.
No wonder I never win the X word. You must beat me every time.
Not me...there must be someone beating both of us.
Dustydog said:
The common denominator here is the lack or shortage of diy projects.
I can think of at least six forumites who have described on the forum repairs or modifications they have made.
(snip)
Come on PCv Editors. Any one of these articles is worth a few Milenco mirrors, wink.
Totally agree. I love reading the DIY articles, and even the ones that describe things I don't intend to do, give me ideas for something I might take on.

Probably my next caravan DIY task will be fitting an access hatch on the offside (opposite the battery box) to give me an easy external access to the under-bench storage when the big bed is made up. I'd love to see a nicely illustrated article which shows some of the things to look out for and some of the pitfalls of doing this...and I can't believe there isn't someone here who's done it!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
RogerL said:
Colin - you're scare-mongering - whilst it's true that there are moves within Europe to do as you describe, specifically in Germany, but there's little political support for it in the UK and it's one of the issues to be addressed in EU reform renegotiations likely to take place in the next 6 years - as you say, watch that space.
hi Roger,
I dont want to dilute this topic and go off track, but in reply the legislation is already in place. true the EU discussions are about things like alloy wheels body kits and stainless exhausts, but this is not the same as type approval and compliance certificates issued for major modifications.
once a vehicle is modified beyond is current type approval as stated on the V5 it has to be certified for compliance.
it is the same rules that stops us from making our own towbars [like we did back yonder] or building a beachbuggy from an old beetle, as one did in the 80's.
legislation is the creeping death of DIY like coastal erosion it never stops, in time it will stop us doing anything ourselves, and eventually will encroach on our hobbies like caravanning thats why I said watch this space,

on another note and getting back on topic. perhaps PC have seen this coming for a while and steered away from DIY topics in favour of articles on new vans new towcars. and places to go with our new unmodified vans.
it is a shame as this was the essence of what practical caravan was about when I first subscribed some 20 years ago,
the last copy I read had no practical tips or jobs one could do at all, I once tried to count all the ads in one copy but never managed it as I kept falling asleep before page 45 [like counting sheep there were that many] at least there is this forum to keep us informed,
also for Gozza if you really want to fit a access hatch in the van go along to a motorhome supplier or fitter as they have a range of different size apertures that will fit your purpose and are simple to fit you can also use the panel cut from the van to fill in the front face of the hatch so it blends in nicely.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
also for Gozza if you really want to fit a access hatch in the van go along to a motorhome supplier or fitter as they have a range of different size apertures that will fit your purpose and are simple to fit you can also use the panel cut from the van to fill in the front face of the hatch so it blends in nicely.

Just a reminder that if a hole is cut in the side panel then a timber frame needs to be inset, to which the new frame can be attached. I believe this was shown in the magazine some time ago when upgrades to an old caravan were being made, as part of a DIY job. ;)

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Got to say I still enjoy the mag, tho it doesn't quite hold my interest as it used to, but I thought that was just me, and the fact that I don't read tow car reviews, or any van reviews that contain a fixed double bed. Unfortunately they seem to proliferate. I would love to see more about how people have done up or even modified their vans as we have ours. That is 'Practical Caravanning' in my book.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
crazyguider said:
Got to say I still enjoy the mag, tho it doesn't quite hold my interest as it used to, but I thought that was just me, and the fact that I don't read tow car reviews, or any van reviews that contain a fixed double bed. Unfortunately they seem to proliferate. I would love to see more about how people have done up or even modified their vans as we have ours. That is 'Practical Caravanning' in my book.

There is a company near me which restore and rent out vintage caravans. They have a website and a FB page. Although we have something a lot newer, even I have found it interesting. Not sure if I can name them on here though.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
GrahamE said:
crazyguider said:

There is a company near me which restore and rent out vintage caravans. They have a website and a FB page. Although we have something a lot newer, even I have found it interesting. Not sure if I can name them on here though.
Please feel free to name them, you don't own the company so are recommending rather than advertising

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
crazyguider said:

Try looking up Lucyjaynecaravans. They have .com site and a FB page.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do feel that the travel articles are beginning to out weigh the rest and this is not what I am looking for. The odd article might attract me to an area but it has not happened more than a couple of times. To be honest it is the fact the Caravan is little more than a travel magazine at times which tips the balance in favour of PC.
To me a caravan magazine should be about caravans. The main area of change is always going to be what is new and reporting on this and testing new caravans has to be one of the main areas to include inside. New equipment and accessories, looking at second hand caravans and things you can do to improve the caravan are also important plus the odd factory visit. Projects must now be limited because of restrictions on working on gas and electric instalations and there is little that can be done about this.
The two main magazines do need to do more to establish their position and I would think PC might do more on the practical caravanning side and leave most of the touring to Caravan so that two are better distinguished.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
When i started this thread i did think i might have been on my own with my views but it seems i am not. And i think its safe to say we would all like to see hands on diy featured in the mag.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, All,
I thought it was me as well, but reading all the replies it obviously isn't.
As the song goes money makes the world go round and pc is no different than most magazines.
That said I have to agree it does seem to have lost its way over the last couple of years.
At my age climbing a mountain would see me off, and as for the latest all weather gear, I already know how to suck eggs.
Before pc I subscribed to caravan magazine, but I cancelled my subscription because I felt I was being ripped off as a subscriber.
The magazine in the shops would have extras in which were not sent to subscribers.
The only way to change things is either walking away from the mag or we could try to use the forum to get out point across, I would like to see the mag get more ideas from the caravaning public.
Let's include common new van faults, not just reviews, and during long term test vans don't let manufactures know that the vans are for the mag, that way they get what we get.
Take on the manufactures to improve quality, there is a need for this.
Run a owners satisfaction survey where we can list problems.
Let's get the mag back to a useful publication.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
.........................Projects must now be limited because of restrictions on working on gas and electric instalations and there is little that can be done about this.........................

Hello Ray
You will be aware that I frequently encourage caravanners to have all gas installation and servicing work to be carried out by professionals. This is because I have seen first hand too many botched jobs which have endangered users, and the fact that most DIY'ers simply do not have the equipment or the knowledge on how to properly test a gas installation. My advise remains that such works should be carried out by a competent qualified person.

In the light of this you will not be surprised if in this instance, I call the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations not fit for purpose because of a crazy anomaly in their logic and application. It is the case that you must use a competent fitter registered with GasSafe for all gas installation, service, repair or removal in all circumstance except where the installation is in a private caravan or self-propelled caravan (Motor-home) which are exempt from the regulations, where a private owner (and only the owner) can undertake any gas work

Now this is in my view crazy, because:-
1 - Any gas system fault in caravan will more quickly affect its occupants because of its small size.
2 - The systems fitted to caravans (& Motor-homes) are subject to more vibration and motion and so are more likely to find any weaknesses created by inadequate system design or workmanship.
3 - Duty of the fitter to ensure systems of work and the installation its self are compliant with the gas standards and health and safety are still applicable even if the work is on a private caravan - How many DIY'ers have the knowledge to do that!
4 - If the caravan is hired or rented out it is no longer a private caravan and the gas system must comply in all respects with the law - even a lending a van to another person other than the owner can be construed as a zero value lease/rent, and thus the should comply.
5 - Owners of caravans would be liable if they employ or allow an unqualified person to work on their gas system either paid or unpaid.
6 - In theory the spouse or child of an owner using the caravan could bring a case against the owner if the gas system has not been installed in compliance with the GSIAU regulations.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been working out the office for a few days. And, yes, you're right, the Practical Caravan editorial team do read the forum and have seen this thread. Also, contrary to popular belief, we don't have autocues when filming content for our TV show!

As Parksy said quite rightly, commenting on magazine content isn't the job of our forum moderators. He and Damian are super supporters of Practical Caravan who give up their own time to help keep this forum running smoothly, for which we're immensely grateful.

Our Group Editor Alastair has seen this thread and read it. He's not been in the hot seat long – please give him a chance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts