Is it me, Or........

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lizzie thanks for letting us know you all read the forums and in particular this thread. I think i am talking for everyone when i say we cant wait to hear what the group editor has to say B)

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Lizzie - thanks for the response, it's nice to know that our comments are being read by people who can do something about them.

ProfJohn and others - your comments on the legality and advisability of working on mains electricity and bottled gas systems are absolutely right, but there's still a lot to be done on caravans, especially older ones, that are within the competence of a diy-er. Ideas for fairly short articles that have come to me since this thread started include:
- caravan fire extinguishers - what sort, where in the van to fit it
- looking after your fridge - keeping it clean, remember to keep the vents clear etc.
- Your caravan 12v system - what it's capable of and what you shouldn't expect it to be able to do
- Your road lights - what the law requires, and simple preventive maintenance
- your caravan water system - keeping it safe and hygienic

Articles like the fridge one could always include a paragraph like "...and once a year, remember to get the mains electric and gas systems checked by a qualified, competent person. You should not try this yourself because..."

It might be a bit closer to the "legal liability" boundary, but some articles on maintenance jobs like checking and changing your caravan brake pads would be good - I've never done this on a caravan (and only once on a car) but such an article would at least let me see what's involved, and make an informed judgement about whether it's a job I could tackle or not.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
Hi guys!

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been working out the office for a few days. And, yes, you're right, the Practical Caravan editorial team do read the forum and have seen this thread. Also, contrary to popular belief, we don't have autocues when filming content for our TV show!

As Parksy said quite rightly, commenting on magazine content isn't the job of our forum moderators. He and Damian are super supporters of Practical Caravan who give up their own time to help keep this forum running smoothly, for which we're immensely grateful.

Our Group Editor Alastair has seen this thread and read it. He's not been in the hot seat long – please give him a chance!
Thank you Lizzie.

I hope you Alistair and the rest of the team don't take this thread too personally.
I believe there are some excellent ideas for future magazine issues.
I'd be interested to know the annual circulation figures over the last three years and the figures for subscribers.
Here's to the mags future.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I used top read the magazine from cover to cover but now I skip the travel articles

The Caravan magazine is just as bad but they do include Caravan Buyer "free" if you subscribe and this "free" magazine only has actual caravan or related items, such as awning reviews

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
. The odd article might attract me to an area but it has not happened more than a couple of times.
The good thing is you now don't have to travel to the north east to visit the Beamish Museum. Apparently it's now in the New Forest. :S

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Raywood said:
. The odd article might attract me to an area but it has not happened more than a couple of times.

The good thing is you now don't have to travel to the north east to visit the Beamish Museum. Apparently it's now in the New Forest. :S
Yeah, we noticed that after it had gone to press! :( At least it's a conversation point!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
intransient1 said:
Run a owners satisfaction survey where we can list problems.

I just thought it worth pointing out that Practical Caravan has, for several years, run an Owner Satisfaction Survey – please click here for details.
Hi Lizzie.
Filled it in again.
It doesn't really address the issues raised in this thread.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lizzy,
the survey only generalises the questions it doesn't allow you to elaborate on a problem that may be a manufacturing / design issue, or a problem with a particular area in the production line such as poorly fitted parts.
Then there is the quality of final checks or lack of and to highlight this just read the review of the top model swift the caravan club has just reviewed.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Stopped taking PC magazine before the awards,so havent seen it but does it list the poorest performing vans and dealers as well as the best.It could turn into a prize for everybody ,saw the blurb on website and it said Bailey winners Adria winners prize for Sterling etc.not that I'm cynical of course :evil:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that you had to read the full article to understand the position. In fact only Sprite and Adria were ahead of the pack by any realistic amount. The others were so close that a couple more or less reviews could have moved them up or down by the odd place and the Adria result was probably so short on numbers that that one might be suspect but I hope not. Given that people who are unhappy with their purchase are more likely to report the two winners did very well and the rest will have to do better.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Preparing the Wyoming for the Woosiefest I thought why can't the PCv have a "Good tips" section?
So. Every so often I get water passing through a front windows rubber where it touches the plastic windows.
The cause is a build up of insects and crud inside the open inner edge of the rubber seal.
A good clean out and no more leaks.
The Bailey original sealant is in good order but cleaning the hidden bits helps. :kiss:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts