Is it ok ??

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Having been on a bit of a road trip today, a question came up. Whitest travelling on various motorways and major A roads with dual carriageways at the speed limit for the type of road overtaking slower traffic in the near side lane normally a few cars in succession the traffic was very light.. Is it ok or correct for a vehicle travelling in the near side lane when it comes up to a slower moving vehicle than themselves to simply pull over into the outside lane to overtake the slower moving lane so they do not have to slow down themselves but now as they are travelling well below the speed limit they now force the vehicles travelling in the outside lane to brake to slow down to their speed.? The slower vehicle could have speeded up to the outside lane so as not to affect the faster vehicles or waited for a gap to overtake the slower moving vehicle that they did not want to slow down for? I lost count of how many times this happened on my 300 mile trip?
What are your thoughts ? Is it ok / correct for the vehicle travelling well below the speed limit to drastically slow the faster moving traffic so they don’t have to slow to the speed of the vehicle in front of them.??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having been on a bit of a road trip today, a question came up. Whitest travelling on various motorways and major A roads with dual carriageways at the speed limit for the type of road overtaking slower traffic in the near side lane normally a few cars in succession the traffic was very light.. Is it ok or correct for a vehicle travelling in the near side lane when it comes up to a slower moving vehicle than themselves to simply pull over into the outside lane to overtake the slower moving lane so they do not have to slow down themselves but now as they are travelling well below the speed limit they now force the vehicles travelling in the outside lane to brake to slow down to their speed.? The slower vehicle could have speeded up to the outside lane so as not to affect the faster vehicles or waited for a gap to overtake the slower moving vehicle that they did not want to slow down for? I lost count of how many times this happened on my 300 mile trip?
What are your thoughts ? Is it ok / correct for the vehicle travelling well below the speed limit to drastically slow the faster moving traffic so they don’t have to slow to the speed of the vehicle in front of them.??
Whilst not illegal it may not be best practice. But you have to be patient and live with it.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Not really acceptable in my view, but certainly not an offence. But sadly many drivers only ever look out of the front and are bliissfully unaware of whats behind them (and don't care)

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I guess the scenario you're talking about is where you're towing a caravan (at 60) on a dual carriageway and approaching a vehicle doing 50. In that situation I would wait until I judge that there is a big enough gap in the outside lane so a car traveling at 70 could slow down to 60 without braking, or even better wait for a gap big enough for me to overtake and return to the nearside lane before a vehicle traveling at 70 in the outside lane needs to slow down.
We've all been on a dual carriageway when a HGV travelling at 56mph pulls out to overtake another HGV travelling at 55mph and clogs up the road for a mile while they overtake, I'd rather drop my speed a little than cause that situation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts