Is my Mondeo 2.0 Tdci Auto 2007 good enough

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

Just a bit of advice please, I have been towing for some 20 years and I currently have a Volvo S60 2.4 (54 plate), and I have the opportunity to purchase a Mondeo 2.o Litre Titanium X TDCI auto (57 plate) I think both cars are around the 97% I have an Elldis Odessey 540 max weight 1560kg, the volvo pulls ever so well, even thought max towing ability 1600kg. I hear Mondeo's are a good tow car plus it has 1800kg max towing. should I switch to the mondeo titanium X? any views.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tony.

I have the 06 version of the mondeo.

Its the 2.2 TDCI Titanium X and a manual.

We tow a 2007 Lunar Zenith EB (MIRO 1019,MTPLM 1350)

We find the Mondeo to be a superb towing vehicle.

I did change the rear springs for heavy duty ones last year(there wasnt any real reason for doing this,just my personal choice).

Comfortable on long journies,a huge boot,pretty good MPG(both towing and solo)all the "toys" on the Titanium X,and although our engine sizes are slightly different,i would imagine the Mondeo you are thinking of purchasing would still be an excellent towcar.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
The Mondeo TDCi won Practical Caravan's Tow Car of the Year top honours in 2008!

They are a much underated car which has more to do with idiots and badges than the car itself.

I wouldn't hesitate in having one if it were my pocket (although with recent price increases they are looking a tad expensive - new).

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tony,

I also tow with a mondeo,2007 2.0lt ghia Tdci 140 ps.

Great car to own & drive solo, as well as having the van in tow, get a decent return on the fuel side of things.

We tow a swift challenger 460,Mtplm 1284kg,your caravans weight is some 276kg heavier than ours.

Even with my cars kerb wt of 1571kg & Mtplm of 1560Kg iv'e worked it out to be arround 99.29%

Mondeo's MAX towing weight = 1800Kg & a nose weight of 75 Kg.

I cant advise you what to do & I know there will be other good folk on here that will add their views & comments to the topic.

Laird Al

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tony.

I have the 06 version of the mondeo.

Its the 2.2 TDCI Titanium X and a manual.

We tow a 2007 Lunar Zenith EB (MIRO 1019,MTPLM 1350)

We find the Mondeo to be a superb towing vehicle.

I did change the rear springs for heavy duty ones last year(there wasnt any real reason for doing this,just my personal choice).

Comfortable on long journies,a huge boot,pretty good MPG(both towing and solo)all the "toys" on the Titanium X,and although our engine sizes are slightly different,i would imagine the Mondeo you are thinking of purchasing would still be an excellent towcar.
Adrian,

Thanks very much for your comments, appreciated. Went for a Freelander GS (10 Reg) got good deal will have no issues with weight 86% with Freelander. Mondeo 97%

Cheers

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The Mondeo TDCi won Practical Caravan's Tow Car of the Year top honours in 2008!

They are a much underated car which has more to do with idiots and badges than the car itself.

I wouldn't hesitate in having one if it were my pocket (although with recent price increases they are looking a tad expensive - new).
Nigel,

Appreciate you comments please see response above.

Tony

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tony,

I also tow with a mondeo,2007 2.0lt ghia Tdci 140 ps.

Great car to own & drive solo, as well as having the van in tow, get a decent return on the fuel side of things.

We tow a swift challenger 460,Mtplm 1284kg,your caravans weight is some 276kg heavier than ours.

Even with my cars kerb wt of 1571kg & Mtplm of 1560Kg iv'e worked it out to be arround 99.29%

Mondeo's MAX towing weight = 1800Kg & a nose weight of 75 Kg.

I cant advise you what to do & I know there will be other good folk on here that will add their views & comments to the topic.

Laird Al
Laird Al,

many thanks for your comments, Was worried withthe weight issue, checked withthe club (caravan) it was 97%. So plumped for a freelander 2.2 Tdci GS e (10) model, got good deal. No worris with weight and nose weight. 86% plus 150kg on towbar

Cheers

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts