Is September too late ?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Although we have lots of experience of vanning here, we have never been abroad.

We like to go off peak when it's quieter and regularly have a holiday in September or October.

We once went to France, the Auverne, staying in a gite during September and everywhere seemed closed.

Any suggestions where we should aim for. We plan to spend about 4 weeks away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rioja, we took our van to France for the first time this year. We stayed for almost six weeks from mid august to the end of september. Had no problems with things being closed, and missed most of the holiday rush. We only pre-booked our first night site, everything else we just drove in and pitched. I'd recommend that time of year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would be best to think about September as a lot of French campsites close between mid and late September. Some are open until into October but you won't get the same choice. Whether places seem closed will depend where you are. Most villages seem closed all through the year, its just they are busy working elsewhere!!

David

G

Yes, September may be a bit iffy re sites, but the majoruty will be open until the end of that month. Give it a go because as has been said, the weather is nice and the places are quiet.

However, I did notice that a lot of the 'oldies' were heading south to Spain as I was heading north this year, so curious to know if I was missing something. May be giving it a go next year.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
We stayed in France earlier this year towards the back end of August and into September. The campsite had space for 170 vans and there were 12 max at any one time. The site was so quiet that the owner did not open the food place, there was no one supervising the swimming lake, no boats to play on (all tied up) and there was no entertainment at all. This all stopped a few days before we arrived. All the places we visited locally were open and very quiet, which was nice but the campsite was a bit too quiet.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Rioja,

we always go to France first 2 weeks of September, & yes some of the sites that we have stayed at close some, if not all, of the facilities as they head towards their closing date, usually around the middle to the end of September.

Don't forget that the french campsites are predominately geared towards the French! who's peak holiday months are July & August.

All we do is relax & enjoy the peace & quiet!!!!!!!

GeorgeB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rioja, We enjoyed 2 weeks in September this year, from 14 - 27th in Carnac (Brittany). There were a couple of good sites still open with all facilities available. The site we stayed on, Camping Le Moustoir, was closing at the and of the month and the only evidence of this was the "heavy gang" striking the pre erected tents. Plenty of spaces on fully serviced pitches all at the knockdown price of 12 camping cheques for a 14 night stay. The surrounding beaches were empty, if breezy, as were the roads which made cycling a joy. Restaurants were still open and, again, with space. Further north we stayed in the Mont St Michelle(?) on our way home and again the site, Camping La Heliotis, was was in full swing and quite full. The weather throughout was warm during the day but a sweater was needed in the evenings. We will definitely be repeating the experience again in 2007.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've been in early September, and it's true -campsites do 'close down' and fewer facilities are open, especially further north. The further you go down south the longer the season, and those on the mediterranean are generally more 'alive' until later in the season. However, end of September/early October seems to be the limit to their open season, and even then you may find some facilities which should be open are actually closed. Having said all that we think it's the nicest time of the year to go - little traffic, plenty of space to choose the nicest pitchest, and less people at the bar (it it's open!!!)

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Rioja, We usually go Sept/Oct without problem. Try Italy,Slovenia and Croatia. We were there For 5 weeks last year from Sept 10th on.

We never reserve sites and at that time of year you can wander in to any. Caravan Club site guide books excellent and show closing dates.

Stan

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
As a "oldie we always go in September and have found many of the sites which say they are open are not.It never worried us because we had a motorhome but last year changed to caravanning and this is altogether a new ball game . I feel i have lost the feeling of go as you please, so have to go to recognised sites which are not always suitable for our needs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rioja

Check out "Camping Cheques" excuse the pun, they are good value and more chance of higher numbers which encourages the site owners to keep facilities open.

I recall a time many years ago parking in a Britany car park that could hold hundreds of cars and mine was the only one!!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I thought this topic had a ring to it...I started it nearly 6 months ago !!!

Things have moved on, but thanks for your comments. We had decided to abandon the idea as we couldn't get a ferry crossing from Hull then an inclusive holiday came up and we have taken the plunge. We are in France for the whole of September. We have one day to travel down ( overnight stop as it happens) to StRemy de Provence where we have pre booked a 12 day stay on the recommendation of forum member Madeleine. We then allow another overnight stop on our way to somewhere near Nontron, nr Limoges for the pre booked holiday. Finally we have 5 nights to book as we go as we make our way back to Zeebruge. I'm already quite excited at the prospect of our first overseas trip with the van!!

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As a "oldie we always go in September and have found many of the sites which say they are open are not.It never worried us because we had a motorhome but last year changed to caravanning and this is altogether a new ball game . I feel i have lost the feeling of go as you please, so have to go to recognised sites which are not always suitable for our needs.
as an ex motorhomer i have to agree. the get up and go seems to have got up and gone somehow. i'll get used to being tied to sites i suppose given time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts