Is the market flooded with used Caravans?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are there lots of used caravans on the market at the moment?

We did a bit of van looking and got some prices to change and was shocked at the used value of our van!

He used the guide book so didnt pluck the figures from the air.

Has anyone else been looking and had the same result?

They say van sales are slowing down and you would think they would be biting your hand off for the sale,but that is not the case.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There are two reasons for a surplus of secondhand vans and drop in values.

Last year's floods prompted many household insurers to provide touring vans as temporary accomodation for homeowners while the lengthy repairs were completed - these heavily used vans are now coming onto the market in significant numbers, which is driving down prices.

We are in an economic downturn - used prices reflect this quicker than list prices, although discounts should be easier to negotiate.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We have sold our caravans privately, dealer mark up can be quite high on used caravans as they may have the caravan sat on display for a long time.

We look at the sale price of caravans and base our sale price on that not the dealers little book. With the economy as it is and fuel prices it may take some time to sell caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Roger. We are currently 'living' in an insurance caravan whilst lengthy repairs are carried out on our home from last years flooding, in which we lost our own caravan - it floated away so to speak. That caravan was written off, but I bet it's around somewhere being sold on with damp (after all a foot of raw sewage was inside it!).

Added to this the hundreds of vans provided to non-vanners to live in, who may or may not have looked after them very well, plus the fact that they may or may not have know how to work a lot of the equipment properly. In our area (Hull), the majority of people flooded got brand new caravans, of which some have now gone back, but there are still loads out there.

Buyer beware I would say.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael,

We resently wanted to change our van so went to the dealers and was offered a unbelievable low price so we put it on ebay and sold it on a classified add in 12hrs,we looked about before we sold and mainly on caravan finder,when we rang 6 on this site they had all sold weeks before and not informed the site,we found a similar thing with autotrader online.

We got sorted in the end with a local private ad,so give it a go i got

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Roger. We are currently 'living' in an insurance caravan whilst lengthy repairs are carried out on our home from last years flooding, in which we lost our own caravan - it floated away so to speak. That caravan was written off, but I bet it's around somewhere being sold on with damp (after all a foot of raw sewage was inside it!).

Added to this the hundreds of vans provided to non-vanners to live in, who may or may not have looked after them very well, plus the fact that they may or may not have know how to work a lot of the equipment properly. In our area (Hull), the majority of people flooded got brand new caravans, of which some have now gone back, but there are still loads out there.

Buyer beware I would say.
In my loft I have an awning doing nothing and its yours for nothing if its any good to you. only used it a couple of times. all the best Tash

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts