Is there such a thing as water ingress insurance?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grahamh said:
Someone suggested there was but I can't find it using google. :dry:

Yes there is. Have look at MB&G insurance. They are used by the trade when a seller gives a period of warranty. There are various policies with a range of benefits/options. But do be careful when reading the T&Cs. I had one when I bought my present caravan which was 12 months Gold supplied by the selling dealer. But not all aspects of water ingress are covered. From memory ingress due to plastic/grp design or manufacturing failure wasn't included. So rear/front panel cracks which are not uncommon were excluded. Whereas ingress from window/door/skylight and awning rail seams would be covered. The policies also cover mechanical failures etc. From memory to have taken out a policy on my van in December 2017 would have been around £300.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the dealer gives it to give themselves some cover if things go wrong although if the front or rear panel cracked or there was a manufacturing fault apparentwithin tweleve months then the Customer Protection Act would kick in anyway.
If taking out this cover yourself I would read the conditions on servicing to make sure that the work done complies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
:huh I can't find any reference to the "Customer Protection Act".

There was a Consumer Protection Act 1987
The Consumer Protection Act 1987 gives you the right to claim compensation against the producer of a defective product if it has caused damage, death or personal injury." (Courtesy of Which?) I don;t think this what you meant.

And of course there is the Consumer Rights Act or the Sale Of Goods Act.

Often these additional warranties are not worth having, its just another way for retailers to get money out of unsuspecting members of the public.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
:huh I can't find any reference to the "Customer Protection Act".

There was a Consumer Protection Act 1987
The Consumer Protection Act 1987 gives you the right to claim compensation against the producer of a defective product if it has caused damage, death or personal injury." (Courtesy of Which?) I don;t think this what you meant.

And of course there is the Consumer Rights Act or the Sale Of Goods Act.

Often these additional warranties are not worth having, its just another way for retailers to get money out of unsuspecting members of the public.

To some extent I agree with you, but the dealer would still want to hedge themselves against downstream after sales costs. So someone will have to pay and business being business the dealer will include some margin in the agreed sales price. Where the Dealer included warranty can benefit the consumer is that work that falls under the insurance can be undertaken at an approved workshop and the payments made directly between the insurer and workshop. Also stemming 12 months the new owner doesn't have to prove after 6 months that a fault was inherent at the time of purchasing the caravan. The insurance depending on the grade of policy provided will cover equipment failures too. So it's not all negative and such warranties don't affect the buyers rights under UK law and can be a benefit if the new buyer lives someway from the dealer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin

Running any sort of business involves a risk to profits if the products or services you sell prove to be faulty.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As I said the CPA will apply if the caravan is sold faulty, but what the insurance does is protect the dealer to some extent against repair costs, if there is a problem. The insurer will monitor the claims and companies selling too many defective caravans should soon find that the premium rockets or is withdrawn altogether.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Colin

Running any sort of business involves a risk to profits if the products or services you sell prove to be faulty.

Precisely that’s why any well run business will include in their selling price an element for after sales costs. Nothing can be guaranteed not to fail or develop a defect over time so it’s a prudent budinesss decision to make allowance for such costs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts