Is this a scam?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had HMRC call me today and left a message on the answer phone;

We have issued a law suit against you and a warrant is out for your arrest!!
Press 1 to return this call!!

Speaking to our accountant a while later I mentioned this and he said he has had a lot of clients ringing him about the same call..............one a former policeman!!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The best response to these calls about accidents is "Oh, its actually my dad you want. He is in the shed, Ill go get him". That shed is miles away, takes ages to get there.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
To add to the collection - all today's - amongst other spam (currently a lot from the USA) - an email from paypal about suspicious activity on my account. Then telephone calls - Amazon Prime charging me 39.99 (for the third time this week) - BT cutting off my landline at midnight- and my water and drainage supply insurance expired.... I could go grey with worry... sadly they must make enough money off the unsuspecting to make it worth their while?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like Damian, I also have a Truecall unit, and this may read like an advertisement, but it is my own experience of this product and as the subject has come up, I feel its worth pointing out how effective Truecall has been for me and my wife.

Before I got a Truecall unit we were frequently receiving 4 or more scam/ unwanted advertising / ambulance chasing calls a day and the worst are silent calls from automated dialers. This was not just annoying, but becasue my wife has mobility issues it was actually causing her unnecessary pain to reach the phone if I was not at home to pick it up.

SInce having Truecall, not only do we get disturbed far less, far fewer unwanted calls get through I'd guess about 1 every two months or so and only from callers who are real people, which is a massive and welcome reduction.

The system is really very clever, and it offers several different ways it can be used. Initially it may take a little time to set it up , but once its done it works almost seamlessly, and so far with total reliability for me.

I also use Trucalls web based support service (with subscription fees) This extends the monitoring of the Trucall device, and allows me to check what numbers have actually called me, and how they were handled. This has proven very useful on a number of occasions.

If you receive a call from a number on your "Zap list" the unit intercepts the call and tells them not to call again and cuts them off - without my phone ringing at all. Ahh Bliss.

There are of course other systems that claim to offer some of the fame functionality but according to Which? magazine the Trucall unit was was the most effective of the bunch.

I would heartily recommend it, and suggest it would be a great system to get for elderly relatives who may be considered vulnerable to phone scams.

As for forgiving people who need a job and take on call centre opportunities, I have no sympathy for them when they must realise that what they are doing is a scam, or cold calling.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Touch wood we do not get bothered with these that often but last year an insurance firm in Manchester kept phoning but there was never anyone there but I did a google search and found why they were, knowing Manchester I told them that if I received any more calls I would go round to their office and stick a gnome right up someones arse and remove my number from your system, no more calls,

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just had a notification of a reply to my I've Been and Gone thread, from Correa, that is not in English with an e-mail address at the end, I picked out agency! So didn't use the e-mail link, sign in to the PCF no sign of the reply on my thread???

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Just had a notification of a reply to my I've Been and Gone thread, from Correa, that is not in English with an e-mail address at the end, I picked out agency! So didn't use the e-mail link, sign in to the PCF no sign of the reply on my thread???
I had a notification of a reply to another thread from this person. It appears to have been a spamming attempt, which our ever efficient moderators identified and removed (both the offending post and the poster,who no longer appears to be a forum member). That is probably why the reply has disappeared from your thread.

Reactions: DaveA1

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a notification of a reply to another thread from this person. It appears to have been a spamming attempt, which our ever efficient moderators identified and removed (both the offending post and the poster,who no longer appears to be a forum member). That is probably why the reply has disappeared from your thread.

Yes, it was a spammer who tried to gain access to the site and I carried out some checks and found they were well known as such so were permanently removed from the site and denied access for ever.
One of the tools we have is especially for spammers and when activated removes everything about them.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it was a spammer who tried to gain access to the site and I carried out some checks and found they were well known as such so were permanently removed from the site and denied access for ever.
One of the tools we have is especially for spammers and when activated removes everything about them.
If I had fallen for the scam, what effect (if any) would it have had, particularly to my Lappy???

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I had fallen for the scam, what effect would it have had, particularly to my Lappy???

If you opened an attachment from a spammers email then you may let them insert spyware or tracking to harvest your important information such as passwords, bank details etc depending what is on your computer.

The age old warning applies, NEVER open any attachment in any email that you personally do not know who it is from.
Always check the senders information first.
If it is from a bank or similar and contains a phone number, NEVER use that number, look up the official contact information and use that means of contact.

• Angry
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That's brilliant, just been informed this week that support for windows 7 is coming to an end.
Just had a look at Micro soft Essentials still up to date, as yet. They say new PC

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Windows 7 support finished on 14th January so you have options.

You could have had a free upgrade to w10 but that has finished as well.

The next option is to purchase W10 and install it on your current computer, but it may not work as well as new PC with it already installed.

Either way , sadly, it means paying out, however I would suggest that rather than buying the W10 for your computer it may be economically better to go for a new computer with better systems.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Windows 7 support finished on 14th January so you have options.

You could have had a free upgrade to w10 but that has finished as well.

The next option is to purchase W10 and install it on your current computer, but it may not work as well as new PC with it already installed.

Either way , sadly, it means paying out, however I would suggest that rather than buying the W10 for your computer it may be economically better to go for a new computer with better systems.
You can get W10 pretty cheaply with a valid Registration Key on a certain online auction site. I have done this successfully for a computer I was building from scratch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it i8s a recorded message it is a scam. Apart from the fact they would ring you long before things got that far if you want to achieve something in these circumstances they would use a person to speak to you and he would not be an Indian called John Smith.
If you have the number it can be entered into Google and there are several sites that then appear on there who can confirm if a number is genuine.
Anyone trying to pressure you is likely to be a scammer, but if not they are not someone you would want to do business with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts