Island bed caravan?

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi All we have not long returned to caravanning. It has all changed for us as our kids have now grown up. We purchased a side dinette layout and have really loved our return. However we have been looking at island bed caravans as making up beds can be a bit of a faff! I know it's not that onerous but we both work full time and so weekend trips away need to be as easy as possible. If you have converted to a fixed bed please can you let us know your thoughts. Thanks Jenny

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jenny
We are on our 5th fixed bed, the first 2 were what is now called French bed where one side of the bed butts against the wall, the next one was island bed with split middle washroom and last 2 have been bed across the van with rear washroom. Our preference is the one we have now, the French bed means one of you has to clamber over / around the other to get out of bed,the split washroom in the middle is good if you are tall and need a longer bed, as long as it is not one with a wall at the end of the bed, the bed across the van is good, except if you are tall and need to extend the bottom of the bed, and would work best in a caravan that was 8 ft wide,It really comes down to what works best for you, in each of our layouts there has had to be a compromise.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Is a fixed twin single out of the question? As Woodsieboy says, an island bed works best for an 8ft wide caravan, but that wasn't an option for us so we went for a compromise of a twin single. No-one has to crawl over anyone else and both beds are long enough to accommodate over 6-footers. Of course, if you're both not that tall, then it's not really an issue.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jenny
We have enjoyed a fixed bed for 15 years now. The first was a rear end transverse 4.ft 6” x 6ft 6”. Very comfy. Last 10 years has been a central French n/ s double. Going forward we will choose either a rear end double or mid transverse. Take your pick and enjoy.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone - we have previously had a swift challenger 570 french bed but I am no athlete and found the climb over at night a real challenge!!! Hence we use the front seats in our side dinette as singles. But.... we have always craved an island bed but hope it will be big enough. Hubbie is 6ft 1 but I'm vertically challenge so no worries. Thanks for your thoughts!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Transverse islands in 7' 6" vans in my experience (of trying several) are a bit of a nightmare, because the length of the bed for us taller types (i'm 6' 3"), and if the bed is long enough there is no room to get around the bed (and avoid disturbing the other half with loo trips). End Islands removes that problem.

Our boating years focused our attention on the need to not disturb the other when getting out of bed.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Always thought a french bed was when someone was being silly when they pulled the bottom bed sheet from the bottom of the bed and pulled it over the blankets to make it look like the top bed sheet very funny for some when you come to the block after a skin full,

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
We wanted a fixed bed after keeping our 2 berth dinette as a bed all the time. Keeping to a single axle van, we were limited by me being 6'3", rear in-line island beds (Sprite Major 4 EB) are too short due to the bathroom wall, most twin single layouts are also too short, but the transverse island bed is the best compromise.

As others have mentioned, it is a squeeze with the bed extended to inch round to the washroom, but it's a compromise; the van feels much more spacious not being bisected by a mid washroom.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
We have an end washroom, transverse island bed layout. A few observations. Firstly I am not convinced it would work in a standard width van. Ours is 8ft and it works well. The bed is plenty long enough for us the space at the end is tight but doable.
A lot of beds, seem to have a bolster arrangement to shorten and lengthen doesn’t this mean you have to remake the bed every night? Ours the bed base is hinged at about 1/3 from the head. So make it shorter you push to extend it you pull takes a couple of seconds. Also you can and we have slept on it in the raised position.

It works very well for us but it does take up a lot of room but as 90% these days there are only two of us that’s not a problem. But you do need to think how you are going to use it and how it has been implemented.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Boff said:
A few observations. Firstly I am not convinced it would work in a standard width van. Ours is 8ft and it works well. The bed is plenty long enough for us the space at the end is tight but doable.

Swift say my van is 7'5" wide - the Bed is 6'1" when extended - it's not perfect; my feet can touch the wall and the vanity unit, but you can get round the bed without too much faff.

Boff said:
A lot of beds, seem to have a bolster arrangement to shorten and lengthen doesn’t this mean you have to remake the bed every night?

Yes, but it's not like having to demolish a dinette to move cushions around and get bedding out of a locker. We have to extend the pull out base, insert the filler at the head end, tuck in the flat sheet and replace pillows. Takes a matter of seconds.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Boff said:
A few observations. Firstly I am not convinced it would work in a standard width van. Ours is 8ft and it works well. The bed is plenty long enough for us the space at the end is tight but doable.

Swift say my van is 7'5" wide - the Bed is 6'1" when extended - it's not perfect; my feet can touch the wall and the vanity unit, but you can get round the bed without too much faff.

I can’t stretch and touch sides but then again I’m only short.

Boff said:
A lot of beds, seem to have a bolster arrangement to shorten and lengthen doesn’t this mean you have to remake the bed every night?

Yes, but it's not like having to demolish a dinette to move cushions around and get bedding out of a locker. We have to extend the pull out base, insert the filler at the head end, tuck in the flat sheet and replace pillows. Takes a matter of seconds.

This how ours extends. Press clip on the handle at the end of the bed pull climb into bed. That’s it. To put into day mode might have to give the strap at pillow end to lift it an inch. Then shove it back this takes less than 5 seconds.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Boff said:
This how ours extends. Press clip on the handle at the end of the bed pull climb into bed. That’s it. To put into day mode might have to give the strap at pillow end to lift it an inch. Then shove it back this takes less than 5 seconds.

Nothing fancy about the bed mechanism in the Sprite! :lol: you have to manhandle it!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We replaced a French bed type with a transverse bed. It is easier to make up and we are both short do length of the bed is not a problem but it could be for anyone over six feet. The bed pushes in during the day and it leaves a decent amount of room to get past. At night it is tight to get past so if you look at one I would see if you can live with it.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone - plenty of food for thought! Although Paul is 6ft 1 he tends to sleep
with bent legs so not worried about that - easy access was more important a feature. As is not messing about making up beds !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your last posting answered the question I was going to ask - height. I'm just about the same height. After 3 vans with French beds we changed two years ago to the rear island bed lengthways not transverse - a Cocachman 545 - and have been delighted with it. Several makers offer the same layout but their bed lengths differ quite a lot, so some research is required. I would also recommend the Coachman solution of separation of bed and washrooms by solid sliding doors rather than folded semi rigid fabric.
The underbed storage area is huge and easily accessed, although you need to take care loading as you may find it difficult to get to a suitable noseweight - the only caravan I've ever had where you have to plan to get it higher. the simple test of ' if it was stolen would you buy another like it' would, until recently, get a very firm Yes - but the new direct replacement has smaller front lockers rather than one big one, which would need some thought.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We found with our Coachman 545 thet the shower door was very badly made and cracked on tne top hinge. Also if you dadnt flick the duvet back it would get wet getting out of the shower. .
The space under the bed was great but could easily lead to wrong balance of the caravan when towing.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We have a Coachman 545 island bed as it suits our needs perfectly. However I am only 5'11" The bed is really comfortable and access is both sides and each side has a decent Wardrobe with interior lights. Overhead rear storage is good too and high enough to sit up & watch tv in bed if required (TV points in Lounge & Bedroom)

Good points:
Shower very good & sliding firm curved doors give plenty of room
Toilet/Washroom bit small but has double door 1 hardwood which closes off the bedroom & gives you an En Suite and also has a Soft Concertina door for privacy in loo if someone is in bed or shower.
Plenty of Storage in Washroom cabinets
Loads of Underbed Storage
Dressing table with 13 amp & 12V sockets & mirrors with o/h spotlights
CD/Radio with surround sound speakers including bedroom which also plays DVDs on your TV
Comfy upholstery and back cushions if you want to put your feet up
Good Build quality
Skylights over Lounge & Bedroom
Central rooflight to avoid condensation from shower
Overhead light in shower
Really good 4burner hob & separate Grill & Oven

Bad points:
Washroom basin tap is fixed and right in middle of sink!
Washroom basin is slow to empty (always!)
Extractor fan above hob seems to have a mind of it's own (Slow or very fast!)
Doormat is fixed
Toilet Cassette sensor fuse/holder is located under cassette & subject to corrosion (I moved ours to side wall)

We use ours basically as a 2 berth and it works perfectly-close off the doors and you have a Lounge/Diner one end and an Ensuite private bedroom at the other. This works well also if like us you have Grandkids with you sometimes as they can go to bed on the front Singles/Double and you can still watch TV or a film in bed. Fixed door gives you privacy & bed lights mean it's not too bright to disturb the kids. You can also have showers while they have breakfast etc. Boiler is more than adequate giving plenty of hot water for a shower in 20 mins easily.
It is a heavy van so you will need a substantial Towcar but handles well.

Think this is all I can tell you about it -hope it helps
Mike

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies. They are really helpful. Going first thing tomorrow to our local dealer to sit in and "try" a selection of layouts inc. Island beds. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Scorpy said:
We have a Coachman 545 island bed as it suits our needs perfectly. However I am only 5'11" The bed is really comfortable and access is both sides and each side has a decent Wardrobe with interior lights. Overhead rear storage is good too and high enough to sit up & watch tv in bed if required (TV points in Lounge & Bedroom)

Good points:
Shower very good & sliding firm curved doors give plenty of room
Toilet/Washroom bit small but has double door 1 hardwood which closes off the bedroom & gives you an En Suite and also has a Soft Concertina door for privacy in loo if someone is in bed or shower.
Plenty of Storage in Washroom cabinets
Loads of Underbed Storage
Dressing table with 13 amp & 12V sockets & mirrors with o/h spotlights
CD/Radio with surround sound speakers including bedroom which also plays DVDs on your TV
Comfy upholstery and back cushions if you want to put your feet up
Good Build quality
Skylights over Lounge & Bedroom
Central rooflight to avoid condensation from shower
Overhead light in shower
Really good 4burner hob & separate Grill & Oven

Bad points:
Washroom basin tap is fixed and right in middle of sink!
Washroom basin is slow to empty (always!)
Extractor fan above hob seems to have a mind of it's own (Slow or very fast!)
Doormat is fixed
Toilet Cassette sensor fuse/holder is located under cassette & subject to corrosion (I moved ours to side wall)

We use ours basically as a 2 berth and it works perfectly-close off the doors and you have a Lounge/Diner one end and an Ensuite private bedroom at the other. This works well also if like us you have Grandkids with you sometimes as they can go to bed on the front Singles/Double and you can still watch TV or a film in bed. Fixed door gives you privacy & bed lights mean it's not too bright to disturb the kids. You can also have showers while they have breakfast etc. Boiler is more than adequate giving plenty of hot water for a shower in 20 mins easily.
It is a heavy van so you will need a substantial Towcar but handles well.

Think this is all I can tell you about it -hope it helps
Mike

Good sales pitch that ! I thought you were selling it at first !! :p

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Oooppss may have purchased a Swift Challenger 580 SE....very very nice and am like a child at Christmas!! Obviously tried it out and there was still a good clearance around the bottom of the bed when extended. I see what people mean about the smaller lounge than our side dinette layout but all in all felt really good. :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Scorpy, our VIP 545 was a 2010, very nice but as I said the sliding shower door was bad, it missed the electric hob ring, to carry clothes when travelling , you could overload the rear end, when I sold it for a 560 all the dealers were wanting to buy it, . It was a nice van, but we didn't bond with it like we did with the 560. But had it for 3 years and done maybe 9000 miles in it over in France. Without problems, maybe a good year for them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts