Isolating Motor Mover

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wamt to isolate my carver motor mover by fitting a switch between the battery and the mover control PCB when its not in use. I seem to remember a thread on this subject many moons ago but cant now find it. Has anyone carried out this mod. and where did you buy a suitable switch from ?? Maplins seems to be a contender but any info would much appreciated.Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Trevor,

The Carver Caravan movers were supplied with a battery isolating switch. This should have been fitted to do exactly what you suggest, and also to prevent any other radio control device from causing them to operate.

Check your wiring carefully for a switch with a black body and big red handle/key

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
As John said it should already be fitted. Our Powrtouch has one that is only removable in the off position and in the on position prevents the mains lead from being plugged it (stops you ripping it out when moving the van)

If you have problems finding one, speak to a local 4x4 centre as they use them to switch the power off for winches

Steve

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Trevor. I have fit an solating switch to my Reich mover. It is of the type as described on the previous replies. I got mine from Towsure and fitted it into the batterybox rear wall, above the mains inlet connector. When I had my Reich fitted originally, only the kit for the German market had a master switch(according to the inst book).My leisure battery discharged in 4 days with everything switched off:checked out to be the mover(no faults).No problems now since switch fitted(use soldered connections!!). New Reich's has master switch in kit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to disagree but my Carver was not supplied with an isolating switch nor has it had one fitted for 5 years.

As you have to press the red button twice and also because you leave the rollers disengaged I can't see why one should be needed but as I now have one spare I may as well fit it on the Senator when it comes!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My mover was not supplied/fitted with a isolating switch either. The reason I want to fit the switch is not so much because of inadvertent operation or interference (in two years Ive not suffered with either of these problems ), but I do strongly suspect there is always a slight drain on the battery, even when the mover is asleep, and there is nothing more annoying than arriving at your storage sight or wherever, only to find the battery dead or so low as to be unable to operate the mover. Many thanks for all replies.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
all three of my movers have come with an isolating switch fitted as standard as did my fathers and sisters, but then again they are powertouch movers and powerwheel do seem to be the best customer focused company in the market.

just trying to imagine the relay box failling and the mover running continuously ? how hard would it be to disconnect the battery rather than just switch the mover off at the isolator?. the powertouch of course dissconnects it own supply after 5 minuits of non use, you then have to switch off the isolater for 60 seconds and reset the system, another safety device to avoid damage and dead battery's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
all three of my movers have come with an isolating switch fitted as standard as did my fathers and sisters, but then again they are powertouch movers and powerwheel do seem to be the best customer focused company in the market.

just trying to imagine the relay box failling and the mover running continuously ? how hard would it be to disconnect the battery rather than just switch the mover off at the isolator?. the powertouch of course dissconnects it own supply after 5 minuits of non use, you then have to switch off the isolater for 60 seconds and reset the system, another safety device to avoid damage and dead battery's.
Have to say that I wish I had the Powrtouch but my Carver pre-dates them.

I like the sound of the new Truma with remote control application onto the wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to say that I wish I had the Powrtouch but my Carver pre-dates them.

I like the sound of the new Truma with remote control application onto the wheel.
Hi JohnG, I think Truma will still have to go some to match Powrtouch customer service. Yesterday had a fitter here to change contol unit on a four year old mover - I could have done it, but he seemed to want to come - and he found the rollers also needed replacing. These are due to arrive Monday, and again fitter assistance has been offered. The fitter siad he had had one instance of the isolationg switch tracking or otherwise leaking current and always removed the key completely rather than just switching off. All this for free and with expressions of regret for any inconvenience they had caused !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi JohnG, I think Truma will still have to go some to match Powrtouch customer service. Yesterday had a fitter here to change contol unit on a four year old mover - I could have done it, but he seemed to want to come - and he found the rollers also needed replacing. These are due to arrive Monday, and again fitter assistance has been offered. The fitter siad he had had one instance of the isolationg switch tracking or otherwise leaking current and always removed the key completely rather than just switching off. All this for free and with expressions of regret for any inconvenience they had caused !
Excellent service and not unique from what I read.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts