Italy / Venice Area by Caravan - Any Suggestions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking of taking the ol' tin tent to Italy in March. We have flown before to Venice - and would like to attempt going there by caravan or near as possible to it.

So can anyone suggest any good sites and what would be the best route etc - as this will be our first venture by caravan.

We will have about 15 days total from Calais to Calais return if that makes sense which will leave approx 10 days or so on site.

So is it really a feasible option or not.

All suggestions - recommendations and sites, would be very much appreciated. Warm regards..PETE

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We've done this journey several times. You have a choice between Germany/Austria/Brenner Pass or Luxembourg/Switzerland. Of the two we prefer Calais/Namur/Luxembourg all by free motorway. Metz/Strasberg/Basle/Como. At Basle it's necessary to purchase motorway passes for the car and van. For a large choice of sites, you need to by-pass Venice and head for the airport and Jessolo. Between Jessolo and Punta Sabioni there are dozens of sites. Our favourite is Ca Savio, a large site with its own beach. From Punta Sabioni you can take a ferry to Venice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Venice is about 900 miles from Calais and we do the journey in a steady 3 days. 6 days driving would leave you 9 days on site, with the chance to take in the scenery and places en-route. We have done the journey in many different ways. Via Switzerland, entering at Basle and using the St. Gotthard tunnel to reach Milan. The probability of long hold-ups at the tunnel now tends to make us choose the German route. We call in Luxembourg to fill up as fuel is cheaper there. Once heading for Munich on the motorway you have to reach Innsbruck to cross the Brenner. To do this you can use motorway all the way and go around Munich to enter Austria at Rosenheim. (we shall try this route in the summer. The usual route is from Ulm to Kempten, Fussen (Neuschwanstein fairy tale castle is here) then to Imst and on to Innsbruck. Do NOT take the short cut over the Holzetner pass from Nassereith to Telfs.

From Innsbruck the motorway to Verona then Venice is the fastest. Many of the camping sites are on the long spit of land that runs from Jessolo to Punta Sabbioni where you can catch the water bus to St. Marks in Venice. We use Camping Ca'Savio and book throught the Caravan Club. I think that it may not be open in March, but there are many sites you can use, including some near Mestre. Hope this info. will be of help.

Happy travels BarryB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been to italy for the last 2 years near to venice first year we went to a campsite about 60 miles south of venice called camping Tahiti web site is www.campingtahiti.com a fantastic site you will be hard pressed to find a better one.we go through switzerland quickest way even though you have to pay we spend one night there to if you want a route i can send you one also campsite name in switzerland they do overnight stops which is rare

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
doubt you will have 10 days on site. did the trip 4 years ago at easter without the van via switzerland and that took 2 days each way. as its your first trip i would say 3 - 4 days each way would be morelike. the tunnel approach roads are v busy and slow. comming back from italy into the st gothard we were stuck in a 25 k jam all up hill. some of the passes and high roads do have snow problems even as late as easter. do your sums! i found it cheaper to hire a euro camp static at the south end of lake garda.

easy rail links to venice, (no street parking in venice) garda land theme park is near and a easy trip into verona.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This information is probably only good for summer which is when we go to Italy

This is my prefered route to NE Italy from Calais. Namur - Luxembourg - Permisans - Stutgart - Kempten - Fern Pass - Insbruck - Verona - Venice. Its a long way but the roads are good and there are no tolls 'til Italy.

The traditional way into Venice is by boat so camp on the Lido Jessolo at Ca'Savio and ferry in from Punta Sabbioni. The best time is very early in the morning when Venice is deserted and you can look round with ease.

Alternatively the most accessible campsite is Alba D'oro next to Marco Polo airport. It is small but well run and they run a shuttle sevice to the Piazza Romano.

Fifteen days Calais to Calais isn't long unless you are prepared to travel for up to ten hours a day. If you are two days will get you there.

Mick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Big big thank-you for all the advice on how best to do the trip. Certainly gives food for thought.

Clearly, need to plan our trip, with all your comments in mind, and research properly before leaving ....something to enjoy when the snow is on the ground, in front of a roaring fire, enjoying a large goblet of mulled wine me thinks....ummmmmmm - can't wait lol. STEWART..Can I take you up on your very kind offer of a route and camp site.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply verymuch appreciated. What a great bunch caravanners are!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stewart.,

Many thanks for the offer of a route to Venice and o/night stops in Switzerland etc, I would very much appreciate if you could email me at Locksideuk1@aol.com with the details you have.

Also can you advise me on the position of crossing Switzerland..is there some special card needed........Its just that I think thatI have read something in the past, about something required for the Switzerlans area..or have I got it wrong.

Many thanks for all your help.Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts