It's always the way... .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We live in a cul-de-sac, with a second cul-de-sac leading off it.
It's normally fairly quiet except when local residents drive to and from work.
Most of the households have at least one car, some have two or three with working spouses and grown up children still at home.
I keep our caravan in storage, but I usually bring it home onto our drive if there are jobs to do on it, or for a good clean.
I try to avoid manoeuvring the caravan onto the drive at busier times when drivers want to get to and from work.
We had to wait in today for the building inspector to check out our new conservatory, but because I've got a couple of little repairs to do I decided to bring the caravan back for this weekend.
Fridays are not ideal, the local road network is busy and locals finish work at various times for the weekend, so my best option was early evening today.
I picked up the caravan and towed it home with no trouble and no delays, and I arrived outside our house at 8:15pm, with no traffic in the cul-de- sac.
When I swing round to back onto our drive, the car blocks the street, but at that time when the workers are home I wouldn't hold anyone up - or so I thought.
The minute that I moved into the middle of the road ready to right hand reverse onto the drive, no less that three parcel vans and two cars were waiting to come past.
There was nothing that I could do really, but it happens almost every time.
I backed the caravan half way onto the drive, I'd already disconnected the Alko stabiliser, the breakaway cable and the 12s plug, so I pulled the handbrake on, unhitched and moved the towcar with an apologetic wave to the waiting drivers.
Needless to say, before I'd finished backing on with the motor mover the vans had turned round and left the cul-de-sac and the cars had been parked, and the road returned to its usual quiet as the grave evening state.
Why does this always happen to me?
None of the waiting drivers did or said anything, but I couldn't help feeling a mixture of embarrassment and intimidation.
Every time that I move our caravan in our cul-de-sac, the world and his wife seem to choose that exact moment to drive past our house.
It's always the way that I'm in somebody's way 😟

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
It's obvious that you are considerate to your neighbours and others, I'm sure that some of the neighbours will have noticed your efforts to cause as little disruption as possible.

The delivery drivers are always miffed at even the slightest delay, not much you can do about that as you don't have their timetable or schedule.

Youv'e done all you can, you just have to put it down to either Sods or Murphy's Law.

You know in yourself you made efforts to limit delays to others, many others don't try or give a care.

I think you can be happy with your actions, there sure isn't anything to feel bad about; only you will have a memory of the days events, the others will have forgotten about it by lunch time tomorrow (y).

Get your little repairs done and enjoy a relaxing trip away in the caravan.

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We also live at the bottom of a cul de sac, and I can turn our caravan around fully whilst still hitched up. I bring the caravan home from storage normally a day or two before going away.
I have noticed that there is a woman that visits a neighbor and she always parks just down the road by two meters, exactly where I would be towing out onto the road.
I have mentioned politly why doesn't she park in her friends drive way, or just a little way further on. Oh I don't want to block her in.
So now I park my car where she did, ready for the off.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surprising how many of us live in a close. Our house is at the end with the turning spot just outside. So we can’t use the full length of our twin drives to park visitors cars behind ours as WVM rarely seems to know where the back end of the Transit is.

But I did the same as Parksy by trying not to inconvenience any of the 13 cars in close vicinity to us. Neighbour had five for parents and three girls but they have now moved out. What’s nice though is that all around are considerate when parking or hosting visitors.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Snap!There are five houses in our cul de sac but the houses at the back have their car ports at the end. W3 end up with their friends family parking all over the place but not inconveniencing us. I have to ask one chap to move, which he does willingly. In return he uses our driveway when we are away. Like Parksy I always bring the caravan home a week or so before holidays to carry out maintenance jobs. See this one yesterday. The bathroom hot air pipe was never fitted properly.Just thrown together causing chairs etc to damage it.F8EA77EA-FC7E-4714-91EA-FC5B960B3A54.jpeg

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We live in a cul-de-sac, with a second cul-de-sac leading off it.
It's normally fairly quiet except when local residents drive to and from work.
Most of the households have at least one car, some have two or three with working spouses and grown up children still at home.
I keep our caravan in storage, but I usually bring it home onto our drive if there are jobs to do on it, or for a good clean.
I try to avoid manoeuvring the caravan onto the drive at busier times when drivers want to get to and from work.
We had to wait in today for the building inspector to check out our new conservatory, but because I've got a couple of little repairs to do I decided to bring the caravan back for this weekend.
Fridays are not ideal, the local road network is busy and locals finish work at various times for the weekend, so my best option was early evening today.
I picked up the caravan and towed it home with no trouble and no delays, and I arrived outside our house at 8:15pm, with no traffic in the cul-de- sac.
When I swing round to back onto our drive, the car blocks the street, but at that time when the workers are home I wouldn't hold anyone up - or so I thought.
The minute that I moved into the middle of the road ready to right hand reverse onto the drive, no less that three parcel vans and two cars were waiting to come past.
There was nothing that I could do really, but it happens almost every time.
I backed the caravan half way onto the drive, I'd already disconnected the Alko stabiliser, the breakaway cable and the 12s plug, so I pulled the handbrake on, unhitched and moved the towcar with an apologetic wave to the waiting drivers.
Needless to say, before I'd finished backing on with the motor mover the vans had turned round and left the cul-de-sac and the cars had been parked, and the road returned to its usual quiet as the grave evening state.
Why does this always happen to me?
None of the waiting drivers did or said anything, but I couldn't help feeling a mixture of embarrassment and intimidation.
Every time that I move our caravan in our cul-de-sac, the world and his wife seem to choose that exact moment to drive past our house.
It's always the way that I'm in somebody's way 😟
It's a thing commonly known as "SODS LAW!"

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Snap!There are five houses in our cul de sac but the houses at the back have their car ports at the end. W3 end up with their friends family parking all over the place but not inconveniencing us. I have to ask one chap to move, which he does willingly. In return he uses our driveway when we are away. Like Parksy I always bring the caravan home a week or so before holidays to carry out maintenance jobs. See this one yesterday. The bathroom hot air pipe was never fitted properly.Just thrown together causing chairs etc to damage it.View attachment 3928
So how long has it taken you to get this pipe sorted out???

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We live along a single track road. Our house has gates but on the roadside there is what's know as a bell- mouth - a space big enough to pull the car and caravan into length ways, but not nose in to the gates. This suits us because we have to uncouple the van there and use the motor mover to reverse it up the drive.

The law of sod dictates that as we approach our house some one will be coming the other way and will pull into our bell-mouth to let us pass. We then get into a 'flashing game' of you go;no you go; no you etc.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I mentioned on another thread, where I had to return home due to a Woosie moment, and my neighbour turned up 5 minutes before me.
A lovely case of caravan manovering between us, maybe next year at the Edinburgh Tattoo. Rather than the music festival that it seemed to be.
Where was the field gun run.?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I mentioned on another thread, where I had to return home due to a Woosie moment, and my neighbour turned up 5 minutes before me.
A lovely case of caravan manovering between us, maybe next year at the Edinburgh Tattoo. Rather than the music festival that it seemed to be.
Where was the field gun run.?
Each naval command would hold heats to select their representative team for the main competition at the Royal Tournament in London.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When driving you do get held up by various things and it is just part of life. We have had a similar problem and all you can do is wave an apology at those affected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts