It's enough to make you spit blood!!!

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
A few weeks ago I mentioned that a group of 'Those Who Travel' had stopped travelling in early November, and had set up home in the middle of an access road leading to an as yet unused section of a local industrial estate.

Those Who Travel managed to contain their wanderlust throughout the months of November, December, January, and February - gradually taking over the Queen's highway and gracing it with scrap iron, rubbish filled bin bags, and some trotting rigs.

We who Don't Travel were rather bemused that these jolly wayfarer's were allowed to pile up heaps of scrap metal without any finger wagging from Mr Plod - but we realised that they were a Minority Group and that it was probably written in the Bible, somewhere, that they must be allowed to turn the area into a rubbish tip, and that anyone who objected must necessarily be a thoroughly nasty bigot.

So, Those Who Travel continued to be left in peace to practice their traditional way of life - an interesting aspect of which was the setting ablaze of an ancient Yew hedge (probably some sort of religious rite)

Then, in the first week of March, Those Who Travel hitched up their caravans and took to the road - leaving the local Council to send five men, one digger, and one tipper truck to clear up the remains of the settlement. After a full day's work, the men had almost succeeded in restoring the place to a semblance of its former condition - and it has to be said that one hardly recognised the place without the piles of scrap car batteries, heaps of scrap household appliances, and the decorative trails of toilet tissue that festooned the bushes.

All seemed to be restored to normality.

Until today!! - when another group of Those Who Travel arrived on the spot! (presumably, after reading a good write-up of the place in last month's 'Tinker' magazine)

So, here we go again - Those Who Travel will take advantage of the space provided by the 5 hard working Council employee#s, and will heap up mote piles of sh*te - which are worthless to the uninitiated, but which are sacred objects to Those Who Travel.

In a few weeks or months, the 5 trusty workmen can return, and start to clear up again.

One might almost think that Those Who Travel ate taking the p*ss!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surely the local council has supplied them with Portaloos & skips for their rubbish.

It`s the first thing our council does.

Something to do with human rights.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Today on our local tv news they were commenting on the amount of rubbish dumped by so called Fly tippers who they are going to try to prosecute the councils must be a bit dim do they not know its Those Who Travel that is the main problem & they get away with it @ no cost to them or prosecution

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mick k wrote:

Today on our local tv news they were commenting on the amount of rubbish dumped by so called Fly tippers who they are going to try to prosecute the councils must be a bit dim do they not know its Those Who Travel that is the main problem & they get away with it @ no cost to them or prosecution⇦br/>

What infuriates me is the fact that our dustbin was recently adorned with a plastic 'warning notice' informing us that if we ever again committed the crime of leaving a bin with the lid not fully closed, we would be arrested and summarily executed with a bullet in the head administered by a member of our local Council's feared Enviro-Nazi squad.

Meanwhile, Those Who Travel continue to leave a trail of detritus and scrap iron from Land's End to John O' Groat's! - without ever glimpsing a warning notice!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not curtailing anybody's freedom of speech here or trying to stifle debate but can we please leave out further comments that may well be interpreted as alluding to the Holocaust.

We all like a joke but it just aint funny to anybody reading this who may have Jewish or Romany ancestry.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Moderator. Irrespective of whether someone has jewish or romany ancestory (which I don't) I find this thread deeply offensive and disturbing and feel it should be removed.

The not even thinly veiled suggestion that a group of fellow human beings should be be put to gas chambers by the state is abhorent and is frankly an offence that I think should be investigated by the police. it is nothing to do with the holocaust.

Prats like this give caravanners a bad name as a bunch of white biggoted men. The world is full of people who treat their environments like crap. Its just that much of it takes place in the parts of town these people don't have to frequent. Its a big scary world out there with people doing all sorts of things. Just because some of "those that travel" do it at roadsides and you see it when you drive past in your 4x4's doesn't justify the suggestion that people should be put to death.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Moderator. Irrespective of whether someone has jewish or romany ancestory (which I don't) I find this thread deeply offensive and disturbing and feel it should be removed.

The not even thinly veiled suggestion that a group of fellow human beings should be be put to gas chambers by the state is abhorent and is frankly an offence that I think should be investigated by the police. it is nothing to do with the holocaust.

Prats like this give caravanners a bad name as a bunch of white biggoted men. The world is full of people who treat their environments like crap. Its just that much of it takes place in the parts of town these people don't have to frequent. Its a big scary world out there with people doing all sorts of things. Just because some of "those that travel" do it at roadsides and you see it when you drive past in your 4x4's doesn't justify the suggestion that people should be put to death.
MandM

If you feel that a criminal offence has been commited then you are at liberty to report the matter to the police.

I'm not a censor so I don't have the right to stop a subject being discussed which any group of people, whether or not they are caravanners, may well talk about in any social

situation.

Certain comments have caused offence to some and I've asked posters to give a little bit more thought to what they are actually saying, and I'm confident that good sense will prevail.

To answer one perceived insult with another may not always be considered, by some, to be the best form of debate so again, everbody is free to contribute to any subject but let's not start hurling abuse at each other.

Forum members can sometimes give the best verdict on a subject with which they disagree by completely ignoring it.

The only viable alternative is to convince those with opposing views of the folly of their ways by using reasoned concise debate.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
MandM

If you feel that a criminal offence has been commited then you are at liberty to report the matter to the police.

I'm not a censor so I don't have the right to stop a subject being discussed which any group of people, whether or not they are caravanners, may well talk about in any social

situation.

Certain comments have caused offence to some and I've asked posters to give a little bit more thought to what they are actually saying, and I'm confident that good sense will prevail.

To answer one perceived insult with another may not always be considered, by some, to be the best form of debate so again, everbody is free to contribute to any subject but let's not start hurling abuse at each other.

Forum members can sometimes give the best verdict on a subject with which they disagree by completely ignoring it.

The only viable alternative is to convince those with opposing views of the folly of their ways by using reasoned concise debate.
So basically, just so I know for future reference - you can write anything on this forum that might be deeply insulting to a traveller that might read it, but not that might be deeply insulting to a Jewish person.

Would the management of Practical Caravan go along with that or is this just a personally held stance. It might be worth running it past them and their legal department.

As long as those posts remain up there they are in the public domain and are insightful to further biggotry. Telling them please don't say anything more that might offend the jews or Romanys is quite frankly very poor and is why the holocaust was aloud to happen in the first place.

I have nothing against freedom of speech, but you can bet your life if this was an Islamist web site suggesting that certain social groups be put to their deaths it would be being monitored by the security services.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Well,thanks M&M but for my money suggesting that this thread is removed is equally as abhorrent as suggesting that we introduce gas chambers for a certain sector of society.

As far as I can see, the thread was about a certain group of people who openly flount the laws of this land with little or no disregard for the others that share this cramped bit of land. The author has opened a debate, and has been supported by like-minded others who perhaps have a little respect for other individuals and our environment, unlike "those who travel" who contribute nothing and cost everyone else.

That also happens to be my view. If you don`t like it, tough, you have the right to disagree.

To attempt to stifle debate, well, surely that is the type of act we saw in............. Nazi Germany?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
It's taken nearly 24 hours of procrastination to lead me to the conclusion that the two posts referred to above should go.

As Parksy says, the two comments were obviously meant as a joke, but could cause serious upset.

On balance I decided to err on the side of caution. 'Damned if you do and damned if you don't' springs to mind ....

Jan 30, 2008
Visit site
So basically, just so I know for future reference - you can write anything on this forum that might be deeply insulting to a traveller that might read it, but not that might be deeply insulting to a Jewish person.

Would the management of Practical Caravan go along with that or is this just a personally held stance. It might be worth running it past them and their legal department.

As long as those posts remain up there they are in the public domain and are insightful to further biggotry. Telling them please don't say anything more that might offend the jews or Romanys is quite frankly very poor and is why the holocaust was aloud to happen in the first place.

I have nothing against freedom of speech, but you can bet your life if this was an Islamist web site suggesting that certain social groups be put to their deaths it would be being monitored by the security services.
Don't tell me, you want Basil Brush to attend a diversity awareness course as well!! (joking, honest.....)

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well then, what about Basil Fawlty when he mentioned the war... 'but thought he got away with it'. Should not Mr Cleese be brought to task? Come on Mandy, I don't think anyone ,meant to talk of executing the ones who travel, but a good strong fire hose over the lot of them on a freezing January night... there's a thought for the untidy s**ds!

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I do sincerely apologise if I offended anyone with my message which is now removed , as stated by Ken ( moderator ) it was entirely in jest, but can see how it might upset someone . I bow my head and tug my forelock . To the matter in hand though , that of " Those that travel " I do totally agree something has to be done about the situation , if we all just sit back and except it then we are letting the side down especially those brave people on all sides during the " Those that fought " era who lost their lives so we could have a better future .

STEVE.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It's taken nearly 24 hours of procrastination to lead me to the conclusion that the two posts referred to above should go.

As Parksy says, the two comments were obviously meant as a joke, but could cause serious upset.

On balance I decided to err on the side of caution. 'Damned if you do and damned if you don't' springs to mind ....
FWIW, I think you were probably right to remove the posts not just because they might land PC in hot water, but because the extermination of any race, group, creed, class, or belief is not something to be made fun of - even without any ill intent.

As for me - why, I see my posts regularly disappearing here ;) - I'm not complaining, I don't take things seriously enough to get affronted if my wisdom is not well received.

I was a bit puzzled about the 'Eating Pies For Profit' post though - what was wrong with that one?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
so sorry people just think yourselfs very, very, lucky that you only have problems with those who travel.

comming from a mining community that is no more but does have cheap housing association dwellings (dam coal board!!!!)we suffer from "THOSE WHO USED TO TRAVEL BUT TRAVEL NO MORE" but apart from the piles of horse manure on every piece of grass within 2 square miles (oh yes they still keep horses) we don,t have much bother with them perhaps it is "because we have a caravan" or more likley it is the sign on the gate that says smile you are being watched "this house is covered by cctv". or the 8foot high fence. or the dog. or the barbed wire around the top of the fence. or the flood lights.or just maybe it's because I am built like a brick s***house ???.

colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote from Geist ... "Meanwhile, Those Who Travel continue to leave a trail of detritus and scrap iron from Land's End to John O' Groat's! - without ever glimpsing a warning notice"!

Exactly, and those who travel AREN'T even British and we know we aren't talking of Romanies.

Quote from Angus ... "That also happens to be my view. If you don`t like it, tough, you have the right to disagree.

To attempt to stifle debate, well, surely that is the type of act we saw in............. Nazi Germany"?

Excellent Angus, spot on. A pity the PC brigade don't engage their brain before putting their typing finger into gear.

Quote from Rod one ... "a good strong fire hose over the lot of them on a freezing January night... there's a thought for the untidy s**ds!

A farmer in Herefordshire did a similar thing only instead of water he used his muck spreader. Surprisingly to my knowledge, the farmer wasn't charged with assault.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
You think being big would stop them colin? Believe me they are cowards, they don't work in ones, theres usually at least three if they threaten you. I speak from experience. They even threatened to burn the ambulance station down and told me the law can't touch them because they'll get their kids to do it.

By the time the law acts anyway they've moved on but in my experience of "those who travel" wherever they are camped is a no go area for the police.

It was me who called the police to them as they were breaking the height barrier down to a designated travellers site which was full with the local Romanies. The police came but didn't stop them. Within 24 hours the Romanies had been driven off through threats and intimidation. At the ambulance station we got on well with the Romanies, they were no trouble but after "those who travel" arrived we had almost two years of hell.

One night I witnessed them smash a stolen car and one of them injured his leg which I happened to get sent to on a 999. It was only across the drive from us but when we went two of his cronies said he might abuse us. He only cussed me once which was the excuse I needed to leave him. I thought "****** patient confidentiality" and I rang the police to confirm that I'd seen them smash the car and I knew where he was. "Excellent" said the copper, "I'm on nights tomorrow night, I'll get a statement off you". That was the last I heard of the incident, never saw the copper and some poor b*gger had his/her car written off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts