Apr 18, 2024
Visit site
Having repaired the shower tray using fiberglass matting/epoxy then white gel coat, I noticed that when I pushed the flush on the toilet that loads and loads of black bits came flooding through! Also, it seems like there is pink stuff in-between the toilet bowl and it's base, it swivels. Is there any way to remove the bowl so I can see what the problem is? The black bits came from the header - as most will know, and after removing the flush unit, which had broken a clip on the bottom, the tank was full of this black mould stuff. It took me at least 40 minutes to clean out all but the last remnants using rags and wet wipes, why don't people run them through with water every now and again to keep them clean!

Reactions: Beardy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Which model of toilet? Follow Johns suggestion for instructions.

The black mould bits are legendary . Not everyone gets it . Some using pink fluid in the flush will get it others don’t. Similarly water only will for some not for others.
For me the pink keeps the black bits away .
I’ve wondered why there is this variation?
Possibly it could be the idle time , ie how long the caravan is not in use. Ours is in regular use so the tank is regularly filled , emptied etc.
Any other thoughts

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We used to get the black mould when using the pink additive, I eradicated it by filling the header tank with steralising solution before flushing it through. Since we stopped using the pink additive the problem has never come back.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never use the pink stuff as I do not see the point, we have never found not using it caused a problem. We do not use anything like it at home and see no reason to use it in the caravan. It seems to me to be nothing other than an answer to a problem that does not exist.
My feeling is the black bits are a residue from the pink stuff and comes if it is left in without the toilet being used for some time. It also seems to clear itself if no more is added and the flush washes it away.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've always used the pink stuff and never had any black bits. I believe it's because the first things I clean after a trip is the toilet holding tank, then the flush tank rinsing it with fresh water.
I also sterilise the water system twice a year and the toilet flush tank and holding are included.

Apr 18, 2024
Visit site
It sounds like the pink stuff is out for now at least. I have repaired the broken clip on the flush mechanism and is working as it should. I have filled with steri fluid and flushed and flushed it through, then emptied the main tank and flushed it several times. I read somewhere that the flush tank is best left dry until it's time to actually use it? Anyway mine is dry and clean so I can rest in the knowledge that any water goes in will be what I put in.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Never understood the pink stuff. If you have a flush tank they tell you to use pink stuff, but many caravans now have no flush tank but use water from the water system.

What is the pink stuff supposed to do, and if its so important how do all those without a flush tank manage?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Onechem is used in both tanks and is eco friendly but can cause problems explaining why it’s blue and eco friendly.
Did you use it?
If so did you experience any black bits? Blue🙉

Same question to Audiorob with his Elsan and Fenwicks top and tail?

The Elsan Green Organic I use is interesting. Looking at the container just now it is recommended for the flush too. They boast “Encourages the biological decomposition of waste.”
I assume it will also kill off the spores that give us the black bits?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes we used OneChem/Unichem. It worked fine no black bits but for those who tour a lot it works out quite a bit more in costs. But it was convenient with its own dosing bottle. Used Fenwicks Top and Tail but OH did not like “ fragrance”.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Never understood the pink stuff. If you have a flush tank they tell you to use pink stuff, but many caravans now have no flush tank but use water from the water system.

What is the pink stuff supposed to do, and if its so important how do all those without a flush tank manage?
Generate sales for chemical and caravan supplies businesses.

• Haha
Reactions: Mandarin
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes we used OneChem/Unichem. It worked fine no black bits but for those who tour a lot it works out quite a bit more in costs. But it was convenient with its own dosing bottle. Used Fenwicks Too and Tail but OH did not like “ fragrance”.
Clive
Did these chemicals stain the toilet pan?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you use it?
If so did you experience any black bits? Blue🙉

Same question to Audiorob with his Elsan and Fenwicks top and tail?

The Elsan Green Organic I use is interesting. Looking at the container just now it is recommended for the flush too. They boast “Encourages the biological decomposition of waste.”
I assume it will also kill off the spores that give us the black bits?
Hi DD that the one i use Elsan Green Organic for the flush and Rinse just wondering what to do with it now probably give it away .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have decided to just use plain water in the flush for this season after experiencing some black bits. See how it goes.
Try sterilising the flush tank as well to ensure all traces of them are gone. Once we did that and binned the pink stuff the problem never returned.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Try sterilising the flush tank as well to ensure all traces of them are gone. Once we did that and binned the pink stuff the problem never returned.
I got rid of the black bits and now that I have I shall try and keep it that way. I see the logic in plain water flush as used in domestic toilets. I never quite understood what flush additives were supposed to achieve anyway.

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts